OBS encoder

da na
Go to solution Solved by igormp,
8 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I record gameplay with OBS but have a pretty bad GPU (Quadro k2200, basically equivalent to rx 460) and my recorded gameplay footage is often a stuttery mess. I currently have it on NVENC (Which I thought that the Quadros had separate video encoder cores that didn't use the GPU cores, could be wrong), should I switch it to CPU? Saw in another thread that this could potentially take load off of the GPU. I have a strong enough CPU and it only sits at 10-20% during recording. 

Any help would be appreciated!

The encoder on GPUs before pascal was complete shit, and it only became actually good on turing, so that's likely where your issue lies in.

If you do have a good enough CPU, then by all means use software encoding.

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Saw in another thread that this could potentially take load off of the GPU

It won't since, as you said, it's a separate chip. It'll, however, improve the quality of your footage.

I record gameplay with OBS but have a pretty bad GPU (Quadro k2200, basically equivalent to rx 460) and my recorded gameplay footage is often a stuttery mess. I currently have it on NVENC (Which I thought that the Quadros had separate video encoder cores that didn't use the GPU cores, could be wrong), should I switch it to CPU? Saw in another thread that this could potentially take load off of the GPU. I have a strong enough CPU and it only sits at 10-20% during recording. 

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

(Which I thought that the Quadros had separate video encoder cores that didn't use the GPU cores, could be wrong

This is for all nvidia cards(well modern semi high end ones, not just quadros)

What was obs settings? 

Might as well try the cpu

8 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

The encoder on GPUs before pascal was complete shit, and it only became actually good on turing, so that's likely where your issue lies in.

If you do have a good enough CPU, then by all means use software encoding.

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Saw in another thread that this could potentially take load off of the GPU

It won't since, as you said, it's a separate chip. It'll, however, improve the quality of your footage.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This is for all nvidia cards(well modern semi high end ones, not just quadros)

What was obs settings? 

Might as well try the cpu

I had it on 60fps but I had to turn it down to 30, 48000 hz audio, 1920x1080. Not at the computer with OBS rn so can't check the other quality setting but I remember having to turn it down.