Ryzen 7 5800X high temps

Kluxii

Hi,

ive had mine Ryzen 7 5800X since the release basicly and ive wanted to ask about your temperatures with this CPU. Are those normal? 

Mine are basicly
Idle 45-50c
Slight bench ~60c+
Games ~75c

Cinebench R20 ~85-90c

It kinda went up after BIOS update. I did X pattern with dots as a paste, yes the peel is off... Ive built tens of computers.

My setup here https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Cq7TwP

Thanks for help

Looks identical to mine, these Zen 3 chips idle pretty high. Are your clock speeds acceptable? 

This is normal at stock settings. What you should do is curve optimize your settings for PBO.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Looks identical to mine, these Zen 3 chips idle pretty high. Are your clock speeds acceptable? 

Im running stock. No PBO, no OC, i can hit 4,9GHz SC and 4,5GHz all cores no problem. Performance is great.

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This is normal at stock settings. What you should do is curve optimize your settings for PBO.

Im not sure if i want to undervolt, i dont really want to lose any performance and the occasional ramp up of the cooler is fine. I just wasn sure if the temps are OK like this or if something is wrong.

What are your ambient temps like?

I've got a 5900X running stock and cooled by a Scythe Fuma 2 in a Phantex P300A with cheap, UpNext fans added in the front. The mobo is the MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi. My idle temps are also around 40-50C, but my temps when looping Cinebench are only in the mid 70s, even when it's 26C (78F) ambient.

Your setup looks better than mine. The only thing I did that could be argued to be superior to your setup is that I spread the thermal paste evenly, but there's no way that would make a 15C difference, especially when you also have 4 fewer cores to cool.

Those temperatures aren't dangerous or anything - they're under 90C even at full, sustained load - so it's not like you're damaging the CPU. But it does seem a bit high under load.

1 minute ago, Kluxii said:

Im running stock. No PBO, no OC, i can hit 4,9GHz SC and 4,5GHz all cores no problem. Performance is great.

Im not sure if i want to undervolt, i dont really want to lose any performance and the occasional ramp up of the cooler is fine. I just wasn sure if the temps are OK like this or if something is wrong.

I followed this guide with my 5900x and went from 4.425ghz all core to 4.65ghz with no change in thermals. Its worth it to try. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, YoungBlade said:

What are your ambient temps like?

I've got a 5900X running stock and cooled by a Scythe Fuma 2 in a Phantex P300A with cheap, UpNext fans added in the front. The mobo is the MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi. My idle temps are also around 40-50C, but my temps when looping Cinebench are only in the mid 70s, even when it's 26C (78F) ambient.

Your setup looks better than mine. The only thing I did that could be argued to be superior to your setup is that I spread the thermal paste evenly, but there's no way that would make a 15C difference, especially when you also have 4 fewer cores to cool.

Those temperatures aren't dangerous or anything - they're under 90C even at full, sustained load - so it's not like you're damaging the CPU. But it does seem a bit high under load.

Well my ambient is like 22c to 26c, those temps are at 24c or something like that. It might be cuz it has the same TDP but for one CCD. Paste should be spread evenly.

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I followed this guide with my 5900x and went from 4.425ghz all core to 4.65ghz with no change in thermals. Its worth it to try. 

Ok i will look into it, thanks.

For what its worth I just ran a r23 pass on my PC with a 5800x and I was at 86c with all cores at 4.5 and I am running a full custom loop with 720mm worth or radiators, Id say your temps are fine 

4 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

For what its worth I just ran a r23 pass on my PC with a 5800x and I was at 86c with all cores at 4.5 and I am running a full custom loop with 720mm worth or radiators, Id say your temps are fine 

Then likely it is that the single CCD just has a higher concentration of heat, which is harder to spread across the IHS compared to 2 CCDs with 2 fewer cores each.

It could also be due to binning. The 5800X is made of a CCD that didn't qualify for a 5950X, but still has 8 usable cores. Such chiplets probably need more power to work compared to the chiplets in a 5900X, which itself is silicon with 1-2 failed cores, so not good enough for the 5950X, but there are 2 fewer cores to feed.

Those 2 factors in combination probably make most 5800Xs run hotter than their 12 core brethren.

• 4 months later...

what cooler are you using? Im using a cooler master hyper 212 black edition and i'm getting like 39-45 at normal temps. under load i'm getting like 

50-60 with games

You guys have some hot running systems.. my 5900X idles down to under 30c in a 21c space using an air cooler with cpu and case fans running as slow as they can. PBO is set to +200 and routinely hits 5150.. my fans are on a controller and set to run off of my CPU. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's