Ddr5 ram pricing ???

How much do you think this ram will start off at? I'm currently saving for a complete platform upgrade. Currently using a i7 9700f but it's hitting 100% usage in some game already. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

That means your CPU is simply giving its all. RAM isn't going to fix that.

As for price, who knows. Same as DDR4 plus some novelty tax?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

For a year it's going to be a lot pricier than DDR4, then as supply picks up prices will fall

No pricing has been announced, but if the DDR3/DDR4 transition is anything to go by: stupid expensive. However, pricing mostly leveled off after a year or so. It's not just new RAM, though. Next gen will have new sockets and new chipsets as well, which means the boards will be ungodly expensive for a bit as well.

Suffice to say, unless you're the type with near unlimited funds (or don't mind eating ramen and peanut butter so you can pretend that you do) and just have to have the latest and greatest, you're going to be sitting the next gen out. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

10 minutes ago, tikker said:

That means your CPU is simply giving its all. RAM isn't going to fix that.

As for price, who knows. Same as DDR4 plus some novelty tax?

I'm not saying ram that won't fit this board is going to fix that. I know the CPU issue, I'm talking about an entire platform upgrade

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

7 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No pricing has been announced, but if the DDR3/DDR4 transition is anything to go by: stupid expensive. However, pricing mostly leveled off after a year or so. It's not just new RAM, though. Next gen will have new sockets and new chipsets as well, which means the boards will be ungodly expensive for a bit as well.

Suffice to say, unless you're the type with near unlimited funds (or don't mind eating ramen and peanut butter so you can pretend that you do) and just have to have the latest and greatest, you're going to be sitting the next gen out. 

I don't mind spending the money on the new stuff. I'm gonna need to upgrade and dumping money into a dead platform (ddr4) seems like a waste to me. Hence me asking about ddr5 pricing 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

10 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I don't mind spending the money on the new stuff. I'm gonna need to upgrade and dumping money into a dead platform (ddr4) seems like a waste to me. Hence me asking about ddr5 pricing 

DDR4 isn't dead. DDR3's lifeless corpse is still kicking around even now. People will still be buying and using DDR4 for years to come.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I'm saying dead to me. If I'm going to upgrade I'm going to go with the new stuff. 

I've got a friend that still uses ddr3, he's happy with it, I couldn't deal with it

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

19 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

How much do you think this ram will start off at? I'm currently saving for a complete platform upgrade. Currently using a i7 9700f but it's hitting 100% usage in some game already. 

Early speculations that B-tier 2x16GB 4800C40 kits will start off @ $310. And in fact, you could have already bought DDR5. Yup, they're already selling modules for a few weeks now. Various overclockers already have them, and with some ADL chips selling for ~$1000-1100, all they need is a motherboard to actually test what DDR5 is going to be!

What does this mean? 
There's obviously different binnings of each frequency and people who are smarter / care more about DDR5 than I do speculate that there will be both worse and better bins of that same frequency coming out. And we know confirmed that 8400 MT/s kits will exist on launch, and at some time >10,000 MT/s kits (can't share this). 

Won't the latency be worse?
No, you cannot just straight compare tXX / frequency * 2000 with DDR4 and DDR5 to get latency and make an assumption. If people are suggesting that, please don't listen to them. You now have dual channel on a single stick with half the memory bus width, different bank groups, no longer 8 burst length, etc. It's a fundamental change and the most monumental since we moved to DDR from SRAM. Despite being the same price as dual rank Samsung 8Gbit B-die on launch as JEDEC, it will be faster. 

Should you upgrade?

19 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Currently using a i7 9700f but it's hitting 100% usage in some game already. 

If you think you are hindering performance (100% usage might just mean it's optimized and possibly not much performance will be gained if "a bottleneck" is alleviated), then you can upgrade as you will. But with I said above, it's going to be pricey to upgrade. Z690 is going be pricey for anything with DDR5. No speculations on the chip's price yet. 

I wouldn't listen to the rumors of the chip's specific performance as of yet considering we don't know thermals / power consumption to push high clocks, and if you were plugged into the Rocket Lake leaks / NDA stuff floating around, you would have known it was a shit show. Alder Lake is basically the end goal of what Rocket Lake is be, but ported. It was a stepping stone for Intel to get to 10nm from 14nm (and reports now say that 10nm is in larger production at their fabrications), and there's a reason why Rocket Lake was hyped up less and made faster than Comet Lake and Alder Lake. But we get a geared IMC on Intel now!

All I know unless motherboard vendors screw up screw up training RTL's and MRC going haywire, then by the DDR5-A / DDR5 specification, we will see the bottom tier DDR5 JEDEC losing to the best DDR4 all the way up to ~5x increase in performance, DRAM-wise, if we swap those tables.