Connecting Galaxy Tab S7+ to desktop via wired connection

_SimplySteak_

Hello there,

For the past week I have been using my girlfriend's galaxy tab S7+ as a second screen for my laptop, because we are on vacation with family, and I still want/need to work a little bit (as distraction from the family)

Back at home I have a powerful desktop (CPU 5950x, 128gb of ram), with a soon to be 3090. The plan is eventually to also buy a drawing tablet (probably this one: 'https://estore.wacom.com/en-BE/wacom-cintiq-22-dtk2260k0a.html' or something very similar). Yet when I got to work with her galaxy tab, I realised that my laptop is getting too bulky to drag along to everywhere. Something like that tablet would be a good replacement for just going somewhere and having a computer with me where I can write, code, draw on.

The thing that got me wondering was the fact that the galaxy tab's second screen software uses a wireless connection, which causes some very noticeable latency when you are drawing or doing something similar. A wire connection would in (my eyes) solve this issue a whole lot, but I don’t even know if this even possible, if anyone has thoughts?

The main reason I’m asking this is because I am going to buy a drawing surface, and I would much more like it if that drawing surface wasn’t only a display, but could also do lots of other things (like a tablet, because it is probably also is in the pipeline to buy  tablet for me anyways, later this year or so)

If you are talking abot Samsung Dex. Then a USB-C to HDMI will work

I'm in a similar boat - long story short is, other than using 3rd party options, you can't use a wire and their performance is hit and miss too. That is, after spending about an hour Googling the possibility of using a cable rather than Wifi.

I even spent a while trying to get the Tab to show up in Windows while my PC is connected via ethernet and the tablet via wifi to improve the situation a bit but no, both ends must be wifi.

@WickedThunder86 na, not Dex, you can use your Tab as a 2nd screen for Desktop computers but its wifi only at 1080p - Dex only works via wifi too apparently, the Dex app for Windows only supports Galaxy phones.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

2 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

If you are talking abot Samsung Dex. Then a USB-C to HDMI will work

Doesn't Samsug Dex only work from tablet to screen? And not pc to tablet? Online I couldn't find a lot of information about it from samsung themselves
But still might solve the issue if it can. Probabbly gonna head ito a larger town today, and then I can look for a tech shop which sells such a hdmi to usb-c cable

5 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I'm in a similar boat - long story short is, other than using 3rd party options, you can't use a wire and their performance is hit and miss too. That is, after spending about an hour Googling the possibility of using a cable rather than Wifi.

I even spent a while trying to get the Tab to show up in Windows while my PC is connected via ethernet and the tablet via wifi to improve the situation a bit but no, both ends must be wifi.

Yeah, but isn't that more window's fault, given miracast only works through wifi?
Well given I explained in a previous post of ine that I'll be buying an expansion card for my desktop which will have bluetooth and wifi, I won't have this issue. But still, things like that (ethernet to wifi connectio) should be possible in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, _SimplySteak_ said:

Doesn't Samsug Dex only work from tablet to screen? And not pc to tablet? Online I couldn't find a lot of information about it from samsung themselves
But still might solve the issue if it can. Probabbly gonna head ito a larger town today, and then I can look for a tech shop which sells such a hdmi to usb-c cable

Actually sorry, I was wrong previous, for the Tab at least, Dex can only be used via HDMI.

Op is talking about the "Second Screen" feature used for extending your Windows desktop.

I agree the fault is with Miracast. If you can get Wifi 6, I think you might be fine but on AC it doesn't even seem great.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

1 hour ago, _SimplySteak_ said:

Hello there,

For the past week I have been using my girlfriend's galaxy tab S7+ as a second screen for my laptop, because we are on vacation with family, and I still want/need to work a little bit (as distraction from the family)

Back at home I have a powerful desktop (CPU 5950x, 128gb of ram), with a soon to be 3090. The plan is eventually to also buy a drawing tablet (probably this one: 'https://estore.wacom.com/en-BE/wacom-cintiq-22-dtk2260k0a.html' or something very similar). Yet when I got to work with her galaxy tab, I realised that my laptop is getting too bulky to drag along to everywhere. Something like that tablet would be a good replacement for just going somewhere and having a computer with me where I can write, code, draw on.

The thing that got me wondering was the fact that the galaxy tab's second screen software uses a wireless connection, which causes some very noticeable latency when you are drawing or doing something similar. A wire connection would in (my eyes) solve this issue a whole lot, but I don’t even know if this even possible, if anyone has thoughts?

The main reason I’m asking this is because I am going to buy a drawing surface, and I would much more like it if that drawing surface wasn’t only a display, but could also do lots of other things (like a tablet, because it is probably also is in the pipeline to buy  tablet for me anyways, later this year or so)

Use apower mirror aoftware... you'll have to get the premium version but it is available on torrent and ig crackingpatching.com then after setting it up you'll get 2 option cast from pc to phone or phone to pc.

Alternative:

use your tab as a mouse pad you can get a lot of softwares from searching on play store download the app on both your pc and tab and you are good to go.

2 minutes ago, Akshat. said:

Use apower mirror aoftware... you'll have to get the premium version but it is available on torrent and ig crackingpatching.com then after setting it up you'll get 2 option cast from pc to phone or phone to pc.

Alternative:

use your tab as a mouse pad you can get a lot of softwares from searching on play store download the app on both your pc and tab and you are good to go.

Virtual tablet app or gfxtablet apps are there... I won't say you will not face any lag issues but they are less delayed.