PROCESSOR RUNNING IN FULL SPEED WHILE IN IDEAL BUT RUNNING SLOW WHEN STRESED!!?

That's normal. The top clock is the boost, which is opportunistic and not available at all times. When mostly idle, little workloads kicked off here and there by background apps or whatever can all pretty much use the boost clock, because power and thermal levels have plenty of headroom.

However, when you kick off an all core workload, such as the Cinebench multicore bench, power and thermals become much more constrained. You might get boost speeds at the beginning of the workload, but they'll quickly expire.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

maybe because of thermal throtling when stresed as i am running with intel stock cooler

11 minutes ago, vicky021 said:

maybe because of thermal throtling when stresed as i am running with intel stock cooler

The difference between 4GHz and 4.1GHz is very small...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

well my cpu runs at ~2.2 when idle, i know it will boost higher occasionally - just moving the mouse *can* do that, but generally it shouldnt boost all the time… no?

As for not boosting quite as high while under heavy load, has already  been mentioned, thats not very intuitive, but is normal due to thermals and voltages, cpus arent designed to run full bore at all times, its just not how it works, unless you cool it with LN2 or something similar…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 7/22/2021 at 3:53 AM, vicky021 said:

maybe because of thermal throttling

Intel designed the Core i5-10400 to reduce its speed slightly when all 6 cores are active.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5 i5-10400.html

When 1 core is active it can run at up to 4300 MHz and when all 6 cores are active, the maximum speed is 4000 MHz. Task Manager MHz reporting is not 100% accurate but it is close enough. Your CPU is running at its full rated speed. No signs of any thermal or power limit throttling. 

53 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

cpus arent designed to run full bore at all times

That depends on the CPU. You can run Intel CPUs at their full rated speed all of the time as long as they are not thermal throttling or power limit throttling. With the unlocked K series, you can run them beyond their Intel rated speed all of the time. If they are thermal throttling, get a better cooler. If they are power limit throttling, increase the turbo power limits.

I run my 10850K at 5000 MHz all of the time whether it is idle or fully loaded. Power consumption and temperatures are minimal at this speed when the CPU is idle. No need to slow it down.

i4tnKgl.jpg

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

I run my 10850K at 5000 MHz all of the time whether it is idle or fully loaded. Power consumption and temperatures are minimal at this speed when the CPU is idle. No need to slow it down.

Ah, ok, i admit that might be a misconception on my side, i always  think high frequencies = high voltages…   that said you're running at just 1.2v? Thats what i meant a cpu (ryzen at least) will put way more voltage (1.5v) at stock for short amounts of time - so its not designed to do that constantly.

^I know you know that, just clarifying what i meant. : P

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer