Official Steam Deck Front Page Presentation on Steam.

Summary

Steam just put their Steam Deck on the front page of their app. It shows the design in details and features. There are 3 price tiers:
     - For 420€ you get the Steam Deck itself along with a carrying case and 64GB of eMMC storage.
     - For 550€ you get a bigger and faster storage 256GB NVMe SSD, an exclusive steam community profile bundle and the carrying case.
     - For 680€ you get a 512GB NVMe SSD, an anti-glare etched glass, an "exclusive" carrying case which has yet to be revealed, the same steam community profile bundle and an exclusive virtual keyboard theme.

image.thumb.png.a2040200a1a24bfd59857d53e63b7709.png

It doesn't look like the APU changes with the tiers so raw performance should be similar on all three models, the impact of the different storage solutions has yet to be evaluated.
As for the games, your entire steam library will be available to play as long as it supports controller input. Speaking of controllers, let's just hope it doesn't drift this time...

There will be a dock available that props up the device and adds additional inputs like a headphone jack, HDMI and DP ports, 1 USB 3.1 and 2 USB 2.0 ports.

image.png.3e8954a7dfafee730645b1621bb3d90e.png

Orders can already be made for a small 4€ fee and are expected to be shipped starting december 2021 to january 2022. The specific dates are unclear still.

Quotes

We partnered with AMD to create Steam Deck's custom APU, optimized for handheld gaming. It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope.

My thoughts

Personally I'm not a fan of the front design, although it looks very comfortable compared to the switch, the size bezels is distracting in my opinion.

image.thumb.png.9fdae9b6f569f90ff810cab361296368.png

From the back we can see an intake shroud and 4 extra buttons labeled R4, R5, L4 and L5 meant to be pressed with your pinky and ring fingers. I've always like controllers with extra buttons like these so it's nice seeing them implemented in   this product. 🙂

image.thumb.png.bc1bf24fa401129343d6f5a84a351581.png

For storage I think the sweet spot for me will be the mid option for 550€ with 256GB as 64GB just seems small, a base model with 128GB of storage for the same price wouldn't have been unreasonable imo.
 You also can't see any sort of stand built into the Deck so it's a bit disappointing but I'm sure we'll quickly see third party options better than anything Valve could've come up with as we're used to with the DIY market.

Can't wait to play Celeste on it. x) 

In conclusion, it's a device I can't wait to test even if I think the price is a bit high. The display bezels are disappointing imo but I have yet to see it in person so maybe my opinion will change then.

Sources

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

11 minutes ago, NoaLag said:

the price is a bit high.

Valve isn't sony or microsoft. They need to make money off the hardware. Research and development costs serious cash. It is quite cheap, when you compare it to stuff like the Aya neo, gpd win max etc. 

It's like linus said on the wan show. I would love for it to be cheaper, but the price isn't unreasonable.

I do wonder if they could've gone with 1080p 120Hz display. Curious to see performance though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Is the 64GB eMMC present on all models? Can the lowest model take an aftermarket NVME drive?

Hard to believe they are making three different models if only one model has eMMC and only one model has special glass screen. This is not efficient for production

I believe it's only the lowest tier model that has eMMC memory. The other 2 have  NVMe storage

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Is the 64GB eMMC present on all models? Can the lowest model take an aftermarket NVME drive?

Hard to believe they are making three different models if only one model has eMMC and only one model has special glass screen. This is not efficient for production

the bigger question is whether the eMMC model has an empty NVMe slot you could fill yourself.

Also, I thought there already was a post on the Steam Deck?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

15 minutes ago, elfensky said:

the bigger question is whether the eMMC model has an empty NVMe slot you could fill yourself.

Also, I thought there already was a post on the Steam Deck?

image.thumb.png.323407362f703889c6c0e60f2bdc9af3.png

11 minutes ago, d0mini said:

snip

Hmm, so you can replace the eMMC module with an NVMe drive in the future. That makes it a much better proposition.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

17 minutes ago, d0mini said:

image.thumb.png.323407362f703889c6c0e60f2bdc9af3.png

This is interesting.  I wonder what they mean by 'Not Intended For End User Replacement' does this just mean 'Some disassembly required'?

For example, I have a laptop but to replace the battery or HDD, there's no 'plate' to pop off to do it, you have to disassemble the entire bottom of it.  But if you're careful, know what you're doing, and look up a disassembly guide so you don't miss any screws, you can get it open.  I've swapped the HDD for an SSD and after 3 years I replaced the battery.  That said that's def not an 'end user' job.  Only the RAM offers a small plate you remove with one screw to pop in another DIMM.  That's user replacable.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

This was already posted with a discussion of over 150 replies... Please check for existing tech news posts before posting.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450