Ryzen 5 5600X randomly freezes

Penguin420

Hello. I have a problem with my PC. I saw a lots of guys have problem with Ryzen 5th gen processors, idk why and idk if i can make it work. The problem is, computer freezes (sometimes restars or bsod, but usually freezes) and sometimes when i play games. Sometimes not freezes for days, sometimes crashes 4 times a day.

Before 15 minutes, when i playing CS:GO, it just froze again. I turn off the PC through the button on case. Later, tried to go in BIOS cus i disabled the Global C-State Control last night and thought if i just didn't disable it. But it just froze in BIOS, and now it doesnt post. Only black screen. I tried resetting the BIOS, but looks like it doesnt work. I am going to try my old GTX 1660, because i didn't had that freeze problem with GTX 1660 and update if it works. Please help guys.

(Also, i sometimes get USB controller limits exceeded error. And i have Kernel Power 41's whenever comp freezes in my event wiever.)

Comp: Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max - XFX SWFT 309 RX 6700XT - XPG D41 16(8*2) GB 3200 MHz RAM - Samsung 870 Evo 500 GB - WD SN550 500 GB - Silverstone PF240 - Corsair 4000D Airflow - Corsair TX 750M

Also, that error blinker LED's on mobo doesn't light up, but only black screen i have.

The first question everyone has is 'What are your temperatures?'

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

7 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

The first question everyone has is 'What are your temperatures?'

They are fine. CPU max 75, GPU max 70. That is not about thermals.

Also, i see only CPU error LED light up and then down. Maybe, since i reset the BIOS, it is doing some kind of work. Not gonna touch for 2 3 mins. Then i will try with GTX 1660. Because, when i was using GTX 1660, i didn't have such freezes when gaming.

The PSU has pretty awful transient response on the 3.3V rail, which can potentially cause CPU instability. That would be my best guess to your issue, as the mobo VRMs are at least passable.

If you have any sort of OC applied (even just PBO enabled) turn it off. Make sure your motherboard isn't boosting the power with any sort of auto OC/game mode/etc. Also, ensure that you have the RAM in the correct slots, 2 and 4 counting from the CPU side.

You should also make sure you're running the latest chipset drivers (get them from AMD's site directly), and you might want to try flashing your BIOS to the latest version, if you're not running that already.

BTW, Zen 3 is 4th gen and 5000 series, because AMD likes to confuse people.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The PSU has pretty awful transient response on the 3.3V rail, which can potentially cause CPU instability. That would be my best guess to your issue, as the mobo VRMs are at least passable.

If you have any sort of OC applied (even just PBO enabled) turn it off. Make sure your motherboard isn't boosting the power with any sort of auto OC/game mode/etc. Also, ensure that you have the RAM in the correct slots, 2 and 4 counting from the CPU side.

BTW, Zen 3 is 4th gen and 5000 series, because AMD likes to confuse people.

I thought this PSU is good and bought. Isn't it good then?

Now, i tried GTX 1660 too, i can't get a screen. Only have black screen. Tried resetting the BIOS. Nothing works. As i said, last time i was in BIOS for checking if i really disabled C-State control, but it froze again. Then, i force shut down it. Now have black screen. I have BIOS flashback, but not sure how to use. I will check. Also, cables are ok and RAM's too. 

Tho, got the USB cables out to see if they are problem. They are for Corsair RGB fan hub and case front usb.

IMG_20210712_170927.jpg

IMG_20210712_170922.jpg

IMG_20210712_170834.jpg

IMG_20210712_170830.jpg

And, peripherals looks like not working. RGB's doesnt work. And definitely, PC not working. Checked through Chrome remote desktop, if it boots and just doesn't post because of a problem, no. Last seen 55 mins ago. I think my BIOS is broken. I think, i will go to somewhere i can find PC and prepare a flash drive for BIOS flashback.

5 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

I thought this PSU is good and bought. Isn't it good then?

Now, i tried GTX 1660 too, i can't get a screen. Only have black screen. Tried resetting the BIOS. Nothing works. As i said, last time i was in BIOS for checking if i really disabled C-State control, but it froze again. Then, i force shut down it. Now have black screen. I have BIOS flashback, but not sure how to use. I will check. Also, cables are ok and RAM's too. 

The PSU is not bad overall, but it does have issues with transient response of the 3.3V rail and ripple on the 12V. There's a lot that goes into getting power from the wall to your CPU, so there can be a cumulative effect. Like if your VRMs are not the best, the transient response issue might get you, whereas it might not be an issue with a higher end board.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

The PSU is not bad overall, but it does have issues with transient response of the 3.3V rail and ripple on the 12V. There's a lot that goes into getting power from the wall to your CPU, so there can be a cumulative effect. Like if your VRMs are not the best, the transient response issue might get you, whereas it might not be an issue with a higher end board.

Bro i didn't overclocked the CPU tho. VRM's aren't heating much, 55 max i think. 

I just did curve opt. -4, PBO limits disabled, PBO max boost thing 100 MHz. Clearing CMOS doesn't works. So bad... Build a pc for tons of money and have problems. Ngl, i won't use AMD hardware anymore. 

48 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

And no matter what the PSU, they can all potentially go bad, and 'weird random shutdowns and reboots' is a common result of a PSU 'starting to go bad but mostly functional'.  I'd def want to try with an alternate PSU if I ruled out temps.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

12 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

And no matter what the PSU, they can all potentially go bad, and 'weird random shutdowns and reboots' is a common result of a PSU 'starting to go bad but mostly functional'.  I'd def want to try with an alternate PSU if I ruled out temps.

I don't have any extra PSU's, and i cant borrow from someone. I think. I may from one friend but he is far, and it is hard.

i think the problem is with your bios. amd has stated and later fixed the issue of usb devices losing connection via an bios update. you are using an older board (b450) it could have an old bios version loaded. Also try loading auto setting for ram (timings and speed) no xmp profile and see if it helps could be a ram compatibility issue i had some similar problems on my old x370/ryzen 1800x system.

I think you should try bios flashback or update the bios the regular way.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

1 hour ago, Penguin420 said:

Bro i didn't overclocked the CPU tho. VRM's aren't heating much, 55 max i think. 

I just did curve opt. -4, PBO limits disabled, PBO max boost thing 100 MHz. Clearing CMOS doesn't works. So bad... Build a pc for tons of money and have problems. Ngl, i won't use AMD hardware anymore. 

It has nothing to do with AMD. Have multiple AMD systems without a single issue.

Messing with the curve optimizer can cause instability. Setting +100MHz is effectively an overclock, and can also cause instability. Disabling PBO limits can cause instability. You're like, bruh I changed nothing except all this stuff I changed.

VRMs aren't just about temps. It's important to keep them cool, but the purpose is voltage regulation. There can be problems there, even if the temps are fine.

Like I said. I'd bet dimes to dollars it's your PSU and potentially the combo of that with this particular mobo, since it's not the most fantastic thing out there, even though it should be good enough in most cases. Take that and do what you will.

1 hour ago, LukaH said:

i think the problem is with your bios. amd has stated and later fixed the issue of usb devices losing connection via an bios update. you are using an older board (b450) it could have an old bios version loaded. Also try loading auto setting for ram (timings and speed) no xmp profile and see if it helps could be a ram compatibility issue i had some similar problems on my old x370/ryzen 1800x system.

I think you should try bios flashback or update the bios the regular way.

Yep, i wanted to flasback BIOS. Went a local small internet cafe. They said i can't use the USB drive. He wasn't the owner of place, probably owner was gone somewhere. Nvm, i will try tomorrow. I also tried space montage (idk if i call it true, it is when you throw the mobo on a box, not in computer case), it stil doesn't work. It looks like to me it s about BIOS. 

Also, PC doesn't post any screen so can't change xmp. I tried GTX 1660 and 6700xt with HDMI and DP. Also tried changing ram's places and tried them one by one (have 2 sticks).

Tried CMOS clear. Lots of times, didn't work.

Also, i don't have such older BIOS but it is not the latest. It is the one before latest version.

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

It has nothing to do with AMD. Have multiple AMD systems without a single issue.

Messing with the curve optimizer can cause instability. Setting +100MHz is effectively an overclock, and can also cause instability. Disabling PBO limits can cause instability. You're like, bruh I changed nothing except all this stuff I changed.

VRMs aren't just about temps. It's important to keep them cool, but the purpose is voltage regulation. There can be problems there, even if the temps are fine.

Like I said. I'd bet dimes to dollars it's your PSU and potentially the combo of that with this particular mobo, since it's not the most fantastic thing out there, even though it should be good enough in most cases. Take that and do what you will.

Bro i watched a vid abt. PBO. Channel was 100k+ subs. So, i did what he said. What should i do? Even tho they causes instability, can they damage mobo?

Actually, i can change to a b550 tho. But i want to be sure if it is %100 mobo. First, i will try bios flashback. If problem continues, i will try to find another PSU or mobo?

P.s.: pls search for 5th gen freeze problem. There are a lot of topics. Also, after i upgraded to 6700xt, i had lots of problems. Some games had low CPU usage and it causes low FPS, this crashes started after 6700xt...

24 minutes ago, Penguin420 said:

Bro i watched a vid abt. PBO. Channel was 100k+ subs. So, i did what he said. What should i do? Even tho they causes instability, can they damage mobo?

Actually, i can change to a b550 tho. But i want to be sure if it is %100 mobo. First, i will try bios flashback. If problem continues, i will try to find another PSU or mobo?

P.s.: pls search for 5th gen freeze problem. There are a lot of topics. Also, after i upgraded to 6700xt, i had lots of problems. Some games had low CPU usage and it causes low FPS, this crashes started after 6700xt...

There's not even a 5th gen. The fact that that brings up results at all indicates the type of user that's having issues.

What do I care what video you watched or how many subs the channel has? You can't just copy settings. Every rig is different. Even two samples of the same CPU can perform drastically differently.

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's not even a 5th gen. The fact that that brings up results at all indicates the type of user that's having issues.

What do I care what video you watched or how many subs the channel has? You can't just copy settings. Every rig is different. Even two samples of the same CPU can perform drastically differently.

No, i mean, i copied PBO disabled, and tuned Curve optimizer myself. +100 MHz shouldnt be a problem, because CPU boosts +100 MHz if everything is ok. It is what i know. What should i do to settings? I am doing BIOS flashback atm.

And i am pretty sure i.will have the same freezing issue after that. So, why we have these CPU's. To get bsod in the middle of game, and get mad?

++ I mean Ryzen 5000 with 5 th gen, dont care.

Tried BIOS flashback 2 times. 

Flashback LED stays solid lit.

But when i try to restart pc, i still have a black screen...

did you follow the video tutorial? formated the drive to fat32?

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

2 hours ago, LukaH said:

did you follow the video tutorial? formated the drive to fat32?

Yes. Flash formatted to FAT32. BIOS name changed to MSI.ROM. Tried multiple times, with hardware on mobo and without Hardware (only atx and CPU pwr cables).

Not works. It is going RMA (after buzzer arrived). Tho, i bought a b550 gaming plus and buzzer from web. I will try buzzer (when it arrive) and see if it is really about mobo. If not abt mobo, i will refund the b550.

B550 arrived. It doesnt work again. CPU debug led lights. Tried bios flashback but not works. Idk what is wrong with my pc... The CPU is heating, so i don't think it is dead. 

B550 arrived. It doesnt work again. CPU debug led lights. Tried bios flashback but not works. Idk what is wrong with my pc... The CPU is heating, so i don't think it is dead. 

--

Realized my 5600X is dead xd

I am just curious if that PBO limits disabled and +100 MHz override can cause that, and RMA can see it. @Chris Pratt