Need help with a new TV

Hail Sagan

TLDR: Something 65" 120hz 4K around ~$1200?, good for movies and pretty games (I don't play a ton of twitch-shooters, but nice response times would be great).

I'm going to be mounting this on a wall and it will almost exclusively be attached to a computer. The TV will be next to my desk, so it will be a secondary screen for media and games. I don't need smart functionality, but don't really care if its there as long as that "smart" functionality isn't intrusive. I've heard about ads in the menus on some TV's, is that a thing now? I have looked at straight monitors, but none of them seem big enough to fill the wall where the TV fits best. 55"-65" is what I'm thinking. 

As for panel tech, that's the stuff i don't know much about right now. I've never bought a TV before, even though I've bought/sold lots of monitors over the years. I'm finding there's enough of a distinction between monitors and TV's its tripping me up, especially since I'll be spending north of $1000 and I don't want to waste money on feature I don't' need or miss ones I would have found invaluable. 

I hope this isn't the wrong place for this kind of inquiry.

Thank for reading. 

10 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

ve heard about ads in the menus on some TV's, is that a thing now?

dont connect it to the internet and you'll be fine. just also go through the settings and disable any tracking because they do that.. when you use the smart functionality and connect to internet, they track what apps you use, what you watch, when you watch, and then gets sold. so the best way is just not connect to internet all all, EVER. the TV will store that data and wait for a connection. the moment you connect, it will get sent. samsung, LG would be the high end option, and TCL would be a cheaper option (but TCL does more tracking than others, and samsung puts more ads directly into the TV UI). 

i think currently samsung is focusing on panels that are not OLED and LG is focusing more on OLED. so samsung will get brighter but LG will have better contrast, and slightly better response times. 

I would highly recommend watching reviews on HDTVTest on youtube. he primarily tests very expensive TVs but occasionally does cheaper ones too. he focuses more on the picture quality and colors but does not cover features that well. 

1 hour ago, TheBean said:

I would highly recommend watching reviews on HDTVTest on youtube.

Thanks for all the info, and especially this bit. Watched a few of his videos and I think I'll reduce the size and up the budget and get the LG C1 as that seems to be the best at what it does in that size/price category.

Again, thanks for the tips, I'm in the middle of moving and my brain has run out of decision-making juice, so getting pointed in the right direction is super helpful right now.

65” 4K 120Hz is going to put you you in the neighborhood of $2000. The C1 is $2100 or you can get a CX for $1900. To go cheaper, you'd have to drop the 120Hz requirement.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

17 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

65” 4K 120Hz is going to put you you in the neighborhood of $2000. The C1 is $2100 or you can get a CX for $1900. To go cheaper, you'd have to drop the 120Hz requirement.

Not a bad suggestion considering its a TV, and 99% of the content people watch on their TV is >60fps, but I am one of those nerds who will appreciate having the extra Hz. I actually already bought a 55" C1 for $1600. A slight downgrade in size is fine considering it will be in a smallish room anyway. I have a 30 series card and do like to play some games that would benefit from the extra fps, and if I'm dropping this kind of money a bit of future-proofing would be nice. Having 120Hz was non-negotiable for me, but I agree its not something most need to really worry about.