gtx 980 ti cant run 1080p 240hz

OsaObeid

Hey guys, I bought a 1440p 240 monitor that has a DisplayPort 1.4. My pc has the ancient GTX 980 ti which is really still a good card after i overclocked it. I only bought this monitor to future proof and to get the most out of my gtx 980 ti. the monitor is aw2721d. I am aware that this graphics card has DP 1.2 meaning if i want to run the display at 240 i have to switch it to 1080p right? that's what i tried to do but no matter what resolution i pick it will never show me 240 it will always show 200 hz and when i pick 200hz it will use chroma subsampling 4.2.2. the monitor or pc is treating every Resolution as 2k is what i realized, what's going on here? and by the way yes i am using the displayport cable that came with the display which should be DP 1.4, i had a DP 1.2 lying around but that did not fix it.

stuff i tried to do:

reinstall vga drivers

install monitor drivers

3 hours ago, OsaObeid said:

Hey guys, I bought a 1440p 240 monitor that has a DisplayPort 1.4. My pc has the ancient GTX 980 ti which is really still a good card after i overclocked it. I only bought this monitor to future proof and to get the most out of my gtx 980 ti. the monitor is aw2721d. I am aware that this graphics card has DP 1.2 meaning if i want to run the display at 240 i have to switch it to 1080p right? that's what i tried to do but no matter what resolution i pick it will never show me 240 it will always show 200 hz and when i pick 200hz it will use chroma subsampling 4.2.2. the monitor or pc is treating every Resolution as 2k is what i realized, what's going on here? and by the way yes i am using the displayport cable that came with the display which should be DP 1.4, i had a DP 1.2 lying around but that did not fix it.

stuff i tried to do:

reinstall vga drivers

install monitor drivers

You need to set scaling to be performed on the display, not the GPU.

https://i.imgur.com/xXc3ZYJ.jpg

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

You need to set scaling to be performed on the display, not the GPU.

xXc3ZYJ.jpg

It was already set to display, i took some screenshot too, as you can see the monitor is treating any resolution as the highest resolution if that makes sense, no matter which resolution i choose it will never let me choose 240hz, all resolutions are locked at 200hz. I always have the strangest problems, I've never seen anyone else with a problem like this.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.07.10 - 21.05.38.10.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.07.10 - 21.05.44.86.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.07.10 - 21.06.04.31.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.07.10 - 21.06.20.21.png

11 hours ago, OsaObeid said:

It was already set to display, i took some screenshot too, as you can see the monitor is treating any resolution as the highest resolution if that makes sense, no matter which resolution i choose it will never let me choose 240hz, all resolutions are locked at 200hz. I always have the strangest problems, I've never seen anyone else with a problem like this.

It is based on the scaling method used. If GPU scaling is used, then the GPU will scale the image up to the monitor's resolution before transmitting. Therefore all images are transmitted at full resolution and will be limited to the refresh rate at full resolution. If you want to increase refresh rate by lowering the resolution, you need to use display scaling.

It looks like your monitor is a G-Sync module monitor. G-Sync module monitors do not support display scaling. However usually the option is not even available in the dropdown menu in that case, so I'm not sure why it allows you to select it.

10 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It is based on the scaling method used. If GPU scaling is used, then the GPU will scale the image up to the monitor's resolution before transmitting. Therefore all images are transmitted at full resolution and will be limited to the refresh rate at full resolution. If you want to increase refresh rate by lowering the resolution, you need to use display scaling.

It looks like your monitor is a G-Sync module monitor. G-Sync module monitors do not support display scaling. However usually the option is not even available in the dropdown menu in that case, so I'm not sure why it allows you to select it.

Thank you for your assistance and quick response. Interesting, so G sync monitors do not let you lower the resolution to get higher refresh rate? never heard that before i guess you learn something everyday. i wanted to see if disabling g sync through control panel would do anything but no i does not. so now ill have to stick with 144hz even thought my monitor is 240hz until i buy a new pc this is painful