Going on vacation in a RV! What hotspot should I get?

DankDoodles
Go to solution Solved by TRS80,
3 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Verizon

When I had Verizon I used the Jetpack with success. Why don't you use your phone as a hotspot? 

I am traveling from Florida to New York to see the Niagara falls for 10 days in a RV.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a WiFi/Hotspot solution I can use during this trip? Like a recommended product from Amazon?

Edit: My service is Verizon and I am considering about getting Satellite internet during this trip

10 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I am traveling from Florida to New York to see the Niagara falls for 10 days in a RV.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a WiFi/Hotspot solution I can use during this trip? Like a recommended product from Amazon?

What service do you have?

3 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Verizon

When I had Verizon I used the Jetpack with success. Why don't you use your phone as a hotspot? 

4 minutes ago, TRS80 said:

Last time I used it was a year ago and figured it wouldn't do much. After doing some testing it seems to be perfectly fine. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Last time I used it was a year ago and figured it wouldn't do much. After doing some testing it seems to be perfectly fine. Thanks!

Yeah, for sure. I have been using my phone's hotspot for years with no issues. Enjoy Niagara!

14 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

Verizon

Verizon has a number of jetpacks they sell on their website, here is the pricing for its data plans, After you reach the data cap of 30/15 gigabytes, you will be throttled is 600 kbps, which is very slow and is not really *unlimited*. https://www.verizon.com/plans/devices/hotspots/
image.png.9f0bdee42e80906929d97dc38606c093.png

AT&T also has plans on it's website, most notable the higher end 100gb plan may be useful if you will consume a lot of data. They sell hotspots at their stores. https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

image.thumb.png.ff114e896278ccf4090c3883f0efd110.png

If you are planning to use your phone, check the verizon website. It will throttle down your bandwith to 600kbps after you reach a cap. You would want to use the "Get More" unlimited plan for a month if you want an 30GB instead of 15GB of hotspot data, but you should be fine with your existing plan.

39 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Verizon has a number of jetpacks they sell on their website, here is the pricing for its data plans, After you reach the data cap of 30/15 gigabytes, you will be throttled is 600 kbps, which is very slow and is not really *unlimited*. https://www.verizon.com/plans/devices/hotspots/
image.png.9f0bdee42e80906929d97dc38606c093.png

AT&T also has plans on it's website, most notable the higher end 100gb plan may be useful if you will consume a lot of data. They sell hotspots at their stores. https://www.att.com/prepaid/mobile-hotspot-tablet/

image.thumb.png.ff114e896278ccf4090c3883f0efd110.png

If you are planning to use your phone, check the verizon website. It will throttle down your bandwith to 600kbps after you reach a cap. You would want to use the "Get More" unlimited plan for a month if you want an 30GB instead of 15GB of hotspot data, but you should be fine with your existing plan.

if you have an unlimited plan use your phone

19 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

Edit: My service is Verizon and I am considering about getting Satellite internet during this trip

Do you absolutely need internet during a ten day epic rv trip? 

30 hours one way, hardly epic. I'd say yeah. Internet is necessary.

4 minutes ago, TRS80 said:

30 hours one way, hardly epic. I'd say yeah. Internet is necessary.

I've done plenty of long trips like that, never had the need for the internet. A gameboy and friends is good enough.