Internet crashes... might be related to google chrome...

For at least the past month now, whenever I use google chrome for more than a couple minutes, my whole internet just crashes. Not just on my computer but the router seems to just reset itself. I can play online games for hours and no signs of slowdown or instability are present. I even tried live-streaming to youtube but everything was fine. It usually happens when I open chrome and start browsing the web and watching youtube videos that the internet crashes… I am connected through a cat6 cable directly into my router and when the internet is up, the speeds are as high as they can get for where I live. It’s also not like I have a mind blowing fast internet that my router couldn’t handle because my ISP only offers 120mbs down and 10mbs up in my area…

If anyone has any advices or clues as to what is happening I would gladly appreciate the help…

Anthony

The internet doesn't crash. Your browser can crash or as you say the router or switch, but that's not the same 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

41 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

The internet doesn't crash. Your browser can crash or as you say the router or switch, but that's not the same 😛

Ok... it's definetely not my browser that crashes so it must be related to my router then... What can cause a router to crash?

That can be a host of things. Too much traffic, low specs, old firmware, overheating. Particularly that last one is often overlooked: routers generate heat and they need to get rid of it. So, if one boxes in their router (like, for aesthetic reasons) it needs additional cooling (airflow!) to keep working.

Another reason is hackers. You play online, so your router has open ports. Those are known attack vectors for hackers to penetrate your router and do damage. Or at least disadvantage you in some sort. (mining!)

7 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

That can be a host of things. Too much traffic, low specs, old firmware, overheating. Particularly that last one is often overlooked: routers generate heat and they need to get rid of it. So, if one boxes in their router (like, for aesthetic reasons) it needs additional cooling (airflow!) to keep working.

Another reason is hackers. You play online, so your router has open ports. Those are known attack vectors for hackers to penetrate your router and do damage. Or at least disadvantage you in some sort. (mining!)

Ok… I’d rule out the overheating one because playing games and downloading large files for multiple hours outside of chrome doesn’t trigger this crash… it strictly happens when using chrome… How is chrome different than any of those other tasks?

Chrome is a resource hoarder, especially RAM. Linus even made a video about it, look up the LTT YT channel, it was about how many tabs you can open with 2TB of RAM.

9 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Chrome is a resource hoarder, especially RAM. Linus even made a video about it, look up the LTT YT channel, it was about how many tabs you can open with 2TB of RAM.

I have plenty of RAM and I don't think that has any influence on my router situation...