AnotherTechGuy

Well my MacBook Air has a i5 dual core @ 1.7GHz.. This is because it has very very little ventilation. Otherwise it would melt.. 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

They are mobile optimized chips, not only on macbooks.  On ultrabooks and stuff too.  They are made to keep productivity high while also maintining a low power usage, the i5 is like an i3, its a dual core with hyper threading.  The i7 is too however it has higher clocks.  I know because... I have a macbook pro, however soon... I wont have one. 

Though I must admit, if I were going to go for a portable computer I would go Apple.  They may be overpriced but they work and are pretty hard to beat in terms of quality, but best bang for your buck... Apple is not ever going to win. 

Well my MacBook Air has a i5 dual core @ 1.7GHz.. This is because it has very very little ventilation. Otherwise it would melt.. 

my macbook pro gets over 100c while playing minecraft.  *facepalm*

Hey there!

First off, this isn't a thread designed to flame, or attack Apple or their products. 

Recently I've been thinking of selling off my gaming laptop for something that's more sensible; as I do not game on my gaming laptop, and the spared cash could be utilised elsewhere.

So I looked at the MacBook Pro and MacBook air, out of sheer interest, to see what they offer. I was shocked to find that they run dual core i5s and i7s. I know people have always hated on Apple for their price to performance, but how they heck do you get such chips to run with so little cores, in contrast to normal?

Because the OS is designed to run on these processors

Apple know what processors they have put in their computers and can optimize the OS and software to take full advantage of the hardware inside. The new retina pros are VERY fast, especially with pci-e ssds they have inside. At work when I used to demo them I would open literally every program and about 30 web pages and it would cope even on its limited dual core i5 and 4gb of ram

EDIT: it is not just apple, most thin light laptops use these dual core i5/i7 chips, they have to in order to decent performance, maintain excellent battery life and not run at 200000 degrees

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hey there!

First off, this isn't a thread designed to flame, or attack Apple or their products. 

Recently I've been thinking of selling off my gaming laptop for something that's more sensible; as I do not game on my gaming laptop, and the spared cash could be utilised elsewhere.

So I looked at the MacBook Pro and MacBook air, out of sheer interest, to see what they offer. I was shocked to find that they run dual core i5s and i7s. I know people have always hated on Apple for their price to performance, but how they heck do you get such chips to run with so little cores, in contrast to normal?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but every mobile Core i5 has 2 cores. There is no 4 core Core i5 mobile CPU. The 15" Retina Macbook Pro runs a 4 core Core i7.

My 13" Macbook Air has a 1.3Ghz Core i5 because it doesn't need anything more powerful. It's supposed to be very energy efficient and still reasonably quick. It's designed to be the last word in portability; not a desktop replacement.

Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 Asus X99-Deluxe | EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Platinum Series 760 | NZXT H440 White | Shimian 27" 2560x1440 | Ducky 9087 TKL | Logitech G9x | Audio-Technica ATH-M50 | Schiit Audio Modi DAC & Magni Amp

www.ethangriswold.com

Nowadays though, Apple is actually in the mid-range price point of premium notebooks. Take the Macbook Pro, in terms of getting similar build quality and performance, you're looking at spending around £1400 when the MBP cost £1099. 

Relative to other high end notebooks, they really aren't that expensive anymore. In part due to the fact people seem to be willing to pay more for a metal notebook running Windows instead of OS X.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Hey there!

Dual-core CPUs are more than sufficient for everyday tasks (except gaming but thou (or "thy"?) shall never game on Mac). If you want max performance in slim sexy case, buy the Razer Blade.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

The Macs that run dual cores are the airs and the 13" pros, these really only get used for word processing and web surfing, more than enough grunt, great for power saving. I think a lot of people overestimate the CPU power they think they need. 

All macbooks run notoriously hot to try to keep the temps down, the sad part is the ventilation is at the keyboard so your fingers are practically being set on fire while doing anything more intensive then typing up an essay.

They're mobile variants of the CPUs. Lower power consumption, fewer cores. Also keep in mind that OS X is pretty efficient on weaker hardware so it's not as much of a limitation as it may be with for example Windows 8.1.

Generally it's the same for most other laptops too, to be fair.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Pretty much all mid-level laptops are dual core with hyperthreading, just like what you find in the MBA and [r]MBP.

Why do you even need more than 4 threads for laptop use anyway?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The dual core i5 is much more powerful on a mac than on a pc, they are optimized.

Also the reason they only have two cores is that most programs will not take advantage of more than two.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.