How much performace is lost, i paired a i79700 with a ex b365m-v5 motherboard

1 minute ago, Zongohihello said:

???

Please expand your question

my freind said this board causes bottleneck to the processor

We cant strictly tell you how much performance you lost. 

But it may not be much performance lost considering that for the most part, besides VRMs, most motherboards will be performing the same, in gaming anyways. And with a 9700, if its not a K, it works perfectly fine with a B series board, as the biggest perf difference between newer B and Z series boards is Overclocking. 

VRMs maybe limiting how much power gets to the processor, especially knowing this board doesnt have heatsinks for them, but for the most part it should be fine and barely lose much, if at all

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 minute ago, Zongohihello said:

Do you already have it? The power delivery should be good enough, and if you already have it you can test it.

yes my rig, how can i test when i ran msi kombustor and it turbo was 3.7 ghz

3 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

We cant strictly tell you how much performance you lost. 

But it may not be much performance lost considering that for the most part, besides VRMs, most motherboards will be performing the same, in gaming anyways. And with a 9700, if its not a K, it works perfectly fine with a B series board, as the biggest perf difference between newer B and Z series boards is Overclocking. 

VRMs maybe limiting how much power gets to the processor, but for the most part it should be fine and barely lose much. 

a small loss is ok, thanks

Just now, RapidTurtle said:

yes my rig, how can i test when i ran msi kombustor and it turbo was 3.7 ghz

Run a performance test, like Cinebench R23 (for like 10 minutes, not a single run). What cooler do you have?

Just now, Zongohihello said:

Run a performance test, like Cinebench R23 (for like 10 minutes, not a single run). What cooler do you have?

cooler master 410r

6 minutes ago, RapidTurtle said:

cooler master 410r

Run a performance test, like Cinebench R23 (for like 10 minutes, not a single run).

Then compare the score to other i7-9700 scores on the web

24 minutes ago, Zongohihello said:

Then compare the score to other i7-9700 scores on the web

831545329_DesktopScreenshot2021_07.06-11.48_07_71.png

7 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

where can i compare scores

Seems your score is lower than what it should be and what your friend and @SlashedM are talking about is that the motherboard doesn't allow you to get your CPU clocked to around its max turbo speed, which is 4.7 GHz.

First thing you need to do is see what your CPU is clocked to in your BIOS. That board most likely has no chance to achieve 4.7 GHz but it should get over 3.0 GHz. The trick is to simply keep thermals in check and the speed you achieve is good to go. 100 degrees is its max operating temp so ideally you want your temps anywhere in the 70's and allowing it to creep somewhere into the 80's on long stress tests. Once it reaches 90's, that means your clock speed should be bumped down a tad and you're good to go.

Before manually clocking your CPU, it's a good idea to update your BIOS to the latest version(what version are you on?). This is totally optional but it can improve stability. Also, it's a great idea to get your RAM to around its advertised speed as well via XMP in your BIOS. Do this after the BIOS update as well.

13 hours ago, Paul Rudd said:

Seems your score is lower than what it should be and what your friend and @SlashedM are talking about is that the motherboard doesn't allow you to get your CPU clocked to around its max turbo speed, which is 4.7 GHz.

First thing you need to do is see what your CPU is clocked to in your BIOS. That board most likely has no chance to achieve 4.7 GHz but it should get over 3.0 GHz. The trick is to simply keep thermals in check and the speed you achieve is good to go. 100 degrees is its max operating temp so ideally you want your temps anywhere in the 70's and allowing it to creep somewhere into the 80's on long stress tests. Once it reaches 90's, that means your clock speed should be bumped down a tad and you're good to go.

Before manually clocking your CPU, it's a good idea to update your BIOS to the latest version(what version are you on?). This is totally optional but it can improve stability. Also, it's a great idea to get your RAM to around its advertised speed as well via XMP in your BIOS. Do this after the BIOS update as well.

it gets to 4.4ghz when i give 1 thread and 3.6 when i give 8 thread, i bought a cm 410r temps never crossed 65 even for long stress runs, xmp is on 2666 mhz.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.07.07 - 11.05.58.13.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.07.07 - 11.06.29.02.png

10 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

xmp is on 2666 mhz

You're all set on RAM.

10 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

3.6 when i give 8 thread, i bought a cm 410r temps never crossed 65 even for long stress runs

If you're at 65 degrees then you can bump that 3.6 GHz up a little bit. Try 3.8 GHz during a stress test. Then 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, etc, etc. I'd personally bump it up until it reaches into the 80's temps. Remember that 100 degrees is perfectly safe so the 80's would be ideal, the 90's would be for the daring.

For example, my max CPU operating temp is just 71 degrees so I have my temps in the mid 50's for the most part and in some really high demanding games(and long stress tests), the temps will enter into the low 60's, but they never go above 61, 62. That 9-10 degree buffer zone has served my CPU very well since 2016.

So you basically want your CPU in the low to mid 80's during long stress tests and you should be good to go for years. I'd like to know the GHz interval you achieve too. My guess is around 3.9 to 4.1 GHz but only your testing will tell.

Also, make sure your Windows power plan is set to balanced and set the minimum and maximum processor states to 5% and 100%. This will keep your CPU nice and cool while in Windows and not playing games and when you do play games the CPU will clock to the manual speed that you find from the overclocking process I mentioned above. And when you're in Windows doing things, the CPU will clock up from 5% speed to whatever it needs as you do things.

Another option is to make sure you turn off turbo boost. Do this the moment you go in to your BIOS and manually overclock your CPU. What this will do is clock your CPU to the manual GHz that you achieve while gaming. Which is a good thing because then it will not only maximize performance, your CPU will literally stay at that manual clock speed the entire time you're gaming. Which from my experience, is perfect for stability. This one thing right here is one major reason a gaming experience is virtually stutter-free.

13 hours ago, Paul Rudd said:

You're all set on RAM.

If you're at 65 degrees then you can bump that 3.6 GHz up a little bit. Try 3.8 GHz during a stress test. Then 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, etc, etc. I'd personally bump it up until it reaches into the 80's temps. Remember that 100 degrees is perfectly safe so the 80's would be ideal, the 90's would be for the daring.

For example, my max CPU operating temp is just 71 degrees so I have my temps in the mid 50's for the most part and in some really high demanding games(and long stress tests), the temps will enter into the low 60's, but they never go above 61, 62. That 9-10 degree buffer zone has served my CPU very well since 2016.

So you basically want your CPU in the low to mid 80's during long stress tests and you should be good to go for years. I'd like to know the GHz interval you achieve too. My guess is around 3.9 to 4.1 GHz but only your testing will tell.

Also, make sure your Windows power plan is set to balanced and set the minimum and maximum processor states to 5% and 100%. This will keep your CPU nice and cool while in Windows and not playing games and when you do play games the CPU will clock to the manual speed that you find from the overclocking process I mentioned above. And when you're in Windows doing things, the CPU will clock up from 5% speed to whatever it needs as you do things.

Another option is to make sure you turn off turbo boost. Do this the moment you go in to your BIOS and manually overclock your CPU. What this will do is clock your CPU to the manual GHz that you achieve while gaming. Which is a good thing because then it will not only maximize performance, your CPU will literally stay at that manual clock speed the entire time you're gaming. Which from my experience, is perfect for stability. This one thing right here is one major reason a gaming experience is virtually stutter-free.

when i checked cpu power consupmption in msi it shows 65 watts, so i assume the mobo is giving enough power, can i overclock this cpu with this board its not z series, i cant find overclock option

2 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

when i checked cpu power consupmption in msi it shows 65 watts

You are assuming wrong. your motherboard has a power limit somewhere. 

i7 9700 should consume over 120-140w. 

You can try to go to bios and disable the power limit if you can find it. if not then there is nothing you can really do except undervolt so you can  get lower power usage and better clock speeds

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

You are assuming wrong. your motherboard has a power limit somewhere. 

i7 9700 should consume over 120-140w. 

You can try to go to bios and disable the power limit if you can find it. if not then there is nothing you can really do except undervolt so you can  get lower power usage and better clock speeds

TDP 65 watt so i thought so, i will check in bios

On 7/8/2021 at 1:05 AM, RapidTurtle said:

can i overclock this cpu with this board its not z series, i cant find overclock option

1. Under Advanced, disable Turbo boost.
  2. Under Main, try clicking on CPU speed(3000 MHz) to manually change it to 3100 MHz, then hit enter.
  3. Exit, save changes and restart PC.
  4. Stress test using basic Cinebench test and post result screenshot.

10 hours ago, Paul Rudd said:
  1. Under Advanced, disable Turbo boost.
  2. Under Main, try clicking on CPU speed(3000 MHz) to manually change it to 3100 MHz, then hit enter.
  3. Exit, save changes and restart PC.
  4. Stress test using basic Cinebench test and post result screenshot.

disabled turbo boost and restarted but the cpu speed option is greyed out always, the power consumption 65 watts is delivered enough by the board the right?

12 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

disabled turbo boost and restarted but the cpu speed option is greyed out always

Apparently this board doesn't support overclocking. So you'll want to enable turbo boost.

12 hours ago, RapidTurtle said:

the power consumption 65 watts is delivered enough by the board the right?

Yes, that's enough.

If you can, see what your CPU clocks to while playing a high demanding game. If it clocks to your turbo boost speed of 4.7 GHz, you are good to go.