Issue with Displayport or Monitor?

Ice009

Hey guys,

I just upgraded both my video card and primary monitor a few days ago. I'm using a two monitor setup (Dell U2410 and my new Dell S2721DGF), and both are plugged in via Displayport. I had both of my monitors (Dell U2410 & Samsung 24" screen) plugged in via DVI previously (new graphics card has 3 x Displayport and 1 x HDMI). Anyway, when the computer going into power saving mode for the monitors, it seems that each time it happens the Dell U2410 keeps going into power saving mode, waking up, and then going into power saving mode again. Also, when coming out of power saving mode, the windows I had open in the second monitor Dell U2410 have all gone back to the primary monitor. This didn't used to hapeen before. Is this an issue with displayport itself, the cable (do I need to try a new/different one, windows 10, or could it be because I the monitors are now using different resolutions (I assume this isn't an issue). I've also changed video card from Nvidia to AMD, so I am not too familiar with AMD and their drivers (I did clean the drivers with DDU before removing the Nvidia card and installing the AMD one) as I've used Nvidia 90% of the time.

I was going to try and buy a new Displayport cable and also thought it might be the video card causing this, but it sounds like I'd be wasting my time trying to change those things? Should I try either of these things out? From what I gather, it could be an issue with displayport itself? If not, what would be my best solution? How should I connect the older Dell U2410 24" screen? Should I get a Displayport to HDMI adapter, or Displayport to DVI adapter, or could I get a Displayport to HDMI cable? What would be the cheapest/best solution?

Tbh power saving mode introduces more issues than it resolves. Especially with DP. I'd just disable it. When you know you'll walk away for a while just turn off your computer. The boot-up process is almost as fast as just waking the PC up nowadays.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean power saving mode in general, or just for the monitor? i also usually use sleep mode. I usually have the monitor set to turnoff as I feel that pressing the power button on it all the time might wear it out? Also, is it better or worse for the monitor (longevity wise) having it go into power saving mode all the time? Would it be better to have it on most of the time and just turn it off at night?