Less fire-prone extension cable?

Sarra

I occasionally dabble in watching elechickens on youtube talk about elechicken stuff. I saw a video that mentioned that in Europe, it's extremely common to have a fuse in the end of electrical plugs, which tends to be replaceable. For those of you in Europe, that... Is EXTREMELY uncommon here in the US. In the US, we use circuit breakers to protect the in-wall wiring only.

Anyway. My pops uses an electric leaf blower to clean the roof, and he uses an extension cable. I KNOW from looking at the leaf blower that it isn't going to pull that much through the cable, but my pops is constantly worried about electrical fires, and rightly so. He has good quality extension cable, but I want to get him something for peace of mind, and I was curious if there was a product available in the US, for US outlets, that would add a 10-amp fuse to the circuit at the wall outlet. I've checked Amazon, and... Their search thing is useless. So, does anyone know of a product that I could get for my dad that would help with safety for extended periods of leaf-blowing? I would prefer something that is rated for outdoor use and can either be reset, for a circuit breaker, or replaced, as in a fuse, without replacing the entire product.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Yeah, our house was built by an Electrical Engineer, so the wiring is an entire AWG thicker than was required by code in the 1970's, which means that it's actually more likely for a bad extension cable to catch fire.

I might grab a GFCI cable, then. Or maybe just get a 12 or 10 guage extension cord...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

7 hours ago, Sarra said:

Anyway. My pops uses an electric leaf blower to clean the roof, and he uses an extension cable. I KNOW from looking at the leaf blower that it isn't going to pull that much through the cable, but my pops is constantly worried about electrical fires, and rightly so. He has good quality extension cable, but I want to get him something for peace of mind, and I was curious if there was a product available in the US, for US outlets, that would add a 10-amp fuse to the circuit at the wall outlet. I've checked Amazon, and... Their search thing is useless. So, does anyone know of a product that I could get for my dad that would help with safety for extended periods of leaf-blowing? I would prefer something that is rated for outdoor use and can either be reset, for a circuit breaker, or replaced, as in a fuse, without replacing the entire product.

But... That's what the fuse/breaker in the breaker box will do... It's entire purpose in life is to trip when the load is high enough that there'd be a risk of the wiring catching fire.  So unless you use an extension core that'll fail before the breaker does, like one more for lamps, breaker in the outlet box, breaker in the breaker box, there's no difference except for how far you have to walk to reset the breaker.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

34 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

But... That's what the fuse/breaker in the breaker box will do... It's entire purpose in life is to trip when the load is high enough that there'd be a risk of the wiring catching fire.  So unless you use an extension core that'll fail before the breaker does, like one more for lamps, breaker in the outlet box, breaker in the breaker box, there's no difference except for how far you have to walk to reset the breaker.

US electrical system has some big flaws.

elephants

8 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

US electrical system has some big flaws.

I literally said " So unless you use an extension core that'll fail before the breaker does, like one more for lamps,"  You're linking a video that I've seen before and says the same thing as my own post.  Why are you linking this video?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I literally said " So unless you use an extension core that'll fail before the breaker does, like one more for lamps,"  You're linking a video that I've seen before and says the same thing as my own post.  Why are you linking this video?

Because I'm tired and misread your post. It's 12:30 in the morning and I should be asleep right now 😅

Ignore me.

elephants

9 hours ago, Caroline said:

you sure? I know brit plugs have one but I'm not so sure about the rest of Europe, standard europlug, schuko or GOST (russia and eastern europe) don't have any fuses on them, so it's not extremely common honestly.

I live in western Europe and we don't have any fuses in our plugs,only Brits have them in Europe.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I can also confirm that our plugs don't have fuses, I have only seen that in UK type plugs.

Use an extension cable with sufficient wire gauge and you're fine. Keep in mind though that for extension cords that are on a drum, that cord has to be unrolled for it to properly handle the specified current (might overheat otherwise). If you want additional protection, you can try to find a RCBO adapter (RCD with overcurrent protection) that is properly rated, but normally you shoudn't need that.

10 hours ago, Sarra said:

in Europe, it's extremely common to have a fuse in the end of electrical plugs

As someone else already mentioned, this is only the case for the UK. The rest of Europe doesn't use fuses in plugs. Reason for this "anomaly" is that the UK uses a ring circuit throughout the property (mind, this is domestic, not necessarily correct for commercial stuff) whereas on the Continent a star- or tree pattern is used for wiring. We do use fuses, but in the distributor cabinet. These are 16 Amps (at 240V) and protect a group of outlets distributed throughout the house. Most homes have at least 3, and often more, of these groups. One or more are additionally protected by an RCD, specifically those where water is nearby the outlets (kitchen, bathroom, etc). Larger properties have 400V 3-phase AC connections to the local (effectively national) grid as do homes who made the "transition" from gas for cooking and heating to electric (something much more common in the US). The 3 phases are equally distributed throughout the house to balance out the load between them. For older homes this load-balancing is done on a home level, not per room like described before 😉

Personally, knowing a thing or two about electricity (I'm a certified refrigerant engineer 😛 ) I'd strongly recommend North Americans to change to the Dutch/German electrical standards, being much, much safer then what's currently in force on that side of the Atlantic. Unfortunately, I doubt that'll happen any time soon. Or at all :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Christmas lights.

Oh, you think I'm joking? They have a fuse

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Extension cords are only as dangerous as the people using them. They don't have to be dangerous, but even a fused extension cord is dangerous in the wrong circumstances. Furthermore, when the fuse blows, some idiot is inevitably going to wrap it in aluminum foil.

FWIW, IEC cables aren't much better. There are plenty of devices that use IEC power connectors which draw way too much current for a generic 18 AWG power cord.

We also have cheater plugs (which lift the safety ground), adapters to allow you to plug 15 and 20 A plugs into a 10 A socket, and a whole host of other things that can be even more dangerous. 

Size the cable appropriately for the load. All of this equipment will state its current draw on it. If you're really worried, size the extension cable appropriately for the circuit it is being plugged into, and the circuit breaker will provide adequate protection.

Where do fires happen? When someone plugs a space heater into an 18 gauge lamp cord, then tuck it in a corner and forget about it.

This is all an issue of P = I^2 * R. Do keep in mind that R also includes contact resistance. Corroded contacts in a power plug can be far more dangerous than an undersized extension cable.