is VA contrast THAT much better than IPS?

esphacks
10 hours ago, esphacks said:

well I was mostly firm on staying IPS but it seems like VA has been improving while IPS remains on "yay colors" since forever, given how subjective color reproduction can be vs contrast which is much more noticeable, would you guys say VA's contrast advantage outweighs IPS's colors? as in, the contrast difference is more impactful to the user than the "slightly" better colors on IPS? given a VA panel with little or no smearing, that would seem like the best choice then

Generally, IPS don't have any colour advantage over VA. A high quality VA have just as good if not better colour reproduction than IPS - what IPS definitely hold an advantage over VA is viewing angle, and depend on the size of your display it could definitely become an issue (32 inch and bigger)

As far as contrast goes, having use both, I could say that with IPS, you may noticed that black appears grey (like the black bar under Youtube video) in a bright environment. With VA, black will look almost pitch black all the time in bright room but both will still look some what glow in the dark, VA just glow like a sky at night while IPS just look actively grey. In most scene however you will never noticed the deep black advantage, especially in game. 

For the most part, if you want a 27 and smaller and have a good quality VA, I would pick it over IPS anytime. However, keep in mind that bad VA exist, and some of the worse one (like LG VA) can have serious black unformity and bleeding issue, mind have one spot on the left that look so brightly lid it's far more distracting than the poor contrast of IPS , even in bright room.