Programming challenges during summer break

Swealteek

Hi all,

TL:DR = Look for fun/interesting programming challenge to do during the summer break.

To sharpen my skills during summer break i want work on my programming. But have a hart time getting started because i can not come up with a fun/interesting project to do. And while looking around i can't really find inspiration and building a ether "twitter" or chat apps get kind of boring once you done it. So i was hopping some can point me in a interesting direction.

(im currently doing freecodecamp but it does not scratch that programming itch)

Programming languages: Python /  Java / Javascript. 

Skill level: beginner / intermediair 

kind regards,

Sander

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

What kind of challenges are you looking for? An actual project? Or just some random small challenges that take a couple minutes to hours each?

There are sites like HackerRank, where you can find many small challenges, but they're mostly just "find all prime numbers between X and Y within the execution time limit" so they're more about math knowledge and algorithms than actually about programming. 

If you want to do an actual project, figure out all the fields you want to challenge yourself in.

I like to suggest some sort of "note taking software", so you get a little bit of everything: you need to worry about an interface for the user to input their notes, some way to store notes, and some form of output to display the stored notes. If you want to go further, implement a search, tagging, advanced input like markdown etc... 

Edit: if you're into the "small challenges", there are two games, that are basically programming, but very fun: Human Resource Machine and 7 Billion Humans. The first one is basically Assembly the game, the 2nd one is about multi-threading and parallelization of tasks. While they don't really teach programming, they pose nice challenges for algorithms, optimization and so on.