Prime or zoom.

Hello, I need help deciding if a sigma 18-35 would be more beneficial then having a 35mm f1.4 and 20 f1.4 The only selling factor so far of the primes is less distortion amongst other things. What do you recommend? Also is there a huge difference in 1.4 and 1.8?

Use case? System?

If stills, distortion is correctable easily. I don't know if the same can be said for video.

f/1.4 to 1.8 optically is like a half or 2/3 stop. So not massive. But in design it is a bigger challenge to make a good 1.4, so pricing tends to differ significantly between them. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Use case? System?

If stills, distortion is correctable easily. I don't know if the same can be said for video.

f/1.4 to 1.8 optically is like a half or 2/3 stop. So not massive. But in design it is a bigger challenge to make a good 1.4, so pricing tends to differ significantly between them. 

video & stills

65% stills

35% Video

Canon M50 (Adapter Because I wanna be future proof and use ef glass)

4 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Hello, I need help deciding if a sigma 18-35 would be more beneficial then having a 35mm f1.4 and 20 f1.4 The only selling factor so far of the primes is less distortion amongst other things. What do you recommend? Also is there a huge difference in 1.4 and 1.8?

In terms of picture quality, prime lenses are better. F1.4 and F1.8 is <1 stop, so not much difference.

4 hours ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

But you have a lens already that covers this focal range. Are you in need of the extra light? 

One other big difference between the 18-35 and the primes you listed is full frame support. The 18-35 is a asp-c lens, so it will look like a circle on a full frame camera.

Is this for handheld video? If so, Id try to get a lens with IS if your body doesn't have ibis. Really lets you get much better hand held shots without a full rig. I can get pretty good handheld with no rig with IS on my camera.

11 hours ago, For Science! said:

But you have a lens already that covers this focal range. Are you in need of the extra light? 

yes. a 15-45 is f5 at 35mm which is way to dark and even at 18 which is f3.5? or f4? Also image quality is better on the 18-35 I recall from watching videos

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

One other big difference between the 18-35 and the primes you listed is full frame support. The 18-35 is a asp-c lens, so it will look like a circle on a full frame camera.

Is this for handheld video? If so, Id try to get a lens with IS if your body doesn't have ibis. Really lets you get much better hand held shots without a full rig. I can get pretty good handheld with no rig with IS on my camera.

Nope tripod use for alot of my video (80%)

and when I go handheld its for a short period of time. And I can handhold a 22mm f2.0 which is super light with barely and jitters that I can fix with warp stabilizer.

Canon m50 is not full frame

33 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

yes. a 15-45 is f5 at 35mm which is way to dark and even at 18 which is f3.5? or f4? Also image quality is better on the 18-35 I recall from watching videos

What ISO are you running at during video? 

The 18-35 is a better lens, but you probably won't notice the difference in most uses quality wise. Id focus on learning more than getting better gear.

31 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Nope tripod use for alot of my video (80%)

and when I go handheld its for a short period of time. And I can handhold a 22mm f2.0 which is super light with barely and jitters that I can fix with warp stabilizer.

Canon m50 is not full frame

IS in the body normally looks much better than stabilizers in post, and saves you time.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What ISO are you running at during video? 

The 18-35 is a better lens, but you probably won't notice the difference in most uses quality wise. Id focus on learning more than getting better gear.

IS in the body normally looks much better than stabilizers in post, and saves you time.

ISO varies and I will keep my eyes off products I have a huge problem ;-;

1 minute ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

ISO varies and I will keep my eyes off products I have a huge problem ;-;

The m50 is a pretty good camera, better than what I did a lot of learning on(7d) and can make some good results. Id stop focusing on gear, and start focusing on what you make make with it, like story and composition. And the other parts of film making, like planning and coordination.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:16 AM, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

Primes also tend to have an advantage in weight, sharpness (for the price), and have faster apertures, which allows flexibility in the lighting conditions you can shoot. 

However, carrying additional lenses to cover what a desired Zoom would do can negate the weight savings of Primes. And in daylight, you seldom require fast apertures anyway. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Primes also tend to have an advantage in weight, sharpness (for the price), and have faster apertures, which allows flexibility in the lighting conditions you can shoot. 

However, carrying additional lenses to cover what a desired Zoom would do can negate the weight savings of Primes. And in daylight, you seldom require fast apertures anyway. 

so basically they have benefits to both.

38 minutes ago, RTX 2070 Max-Q said:

so basically they have benefits to both.

Very much so. There are definitely some very sharp zooms out there as well, but those tend to cost a fair bit. 

It’s pretty much just a matter of picking the best tool for the job, your personal preferences, and your credit card limit. 😝

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 7/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

Very much so. There are definitely some very sharp zooms out there as well, but those tend to cost a fair bit. 

It’s pretty much just a matter of picking the best tool for the job, your personal preferences, and your credit card limit. 😝

Okay.