Do you care about Microsoft requiring a Hotmail account to install W11 Home edition?

CPUguy101

Do you care about Microsoft requiring a Hotmail account to install W11 Home edition?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about Microsoft requiring a Hotmail account to install W11 Home edition?

• Yes
    • No

So i would like to hear from you guys about this i plan on using Pro myself but for people here a yes or no or please add more if you want to the question which is again 

Do you care about Microsoft requiring you to have a Hotmail account and enter it into W11 before it even hits the desktop for the first time 

Secondly if you want 

Are you comfortable having a online account at ALL times when you own 11 home edition? 

Edit

Also note no for the home edition unplugging the internet will not work you MUST be connected to even hit the desktop for the first time and log into windows. 

I'm not even saying this is bad or good just want to know what people here think.

Actually might donate money on a Wan show and see if Linus will ask people this. 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/24/22548480/windows-11-home-internet-connection-set-up

"Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use."

1.png

2.png

2 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

If the Windows 10 workaround works (disconnect from the Internet when the login screen pops up) then no.

It does not 

21 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I meant something more like going through the set up process yourself or seen someone do it.

Give me a min and i will show it myself in a VM i'm already on the latest dev build but i'm running pro and its not a issue in pro

So what i'm going to do is disable the network in VMware for Windows 11 during the whole install and i will pick Windows 11 Home edition in the settings 

28 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I meant something more like going through the set up process yourself or seen someone do it.

When clicking around there is NO WAY to go past that screen it will simply stay their until you connect to the internet in which you can continue your install.

1.png

2.png

4 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Does it start checking for updates after you press Next (while having Internet)?

Actually i found a way around it lol 

What i did was this reenable the internet for a second and then finally something lights up on the next bar and then disable the internet again 

Not kidding though with the internet 100% off you can't even restart the OS from that screen without physically doing it from the power button 

I would have to try it on actual hardware as yes the OS can tell when its in a VM or not Microsoft mentioned this in their developer-thread but its interesting 

3.png

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I also would like to test it yet my motherboard does not feature TPM.

Give it a go in a VM

5 hours ago, CPUguy101 said:

Give it a go in a VM

it's pointless, there are no official ISO yet, the leaked one isn't close to be the final build or the preview build from the insider program.

The Home version does require a MS account to set it up, it's possible the workaround you found won't work with the retail version.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

The current insider preview build (Windows 11 22000) is already floating around on the internet. Not sure if I'm allowed to post such links here, but I'm sure you could find it if you wanted 😄

Also, yes, I do care about having to have a Microsoft Account. It's not so much just about me but also having to set up PCs for other people, and having to explain to them what a Microsoft Account is, why they need it and how to set it up is going to be more work. Besides, I just don't really like having to sign into an online account to use my computer.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

I only need Windows at tax time.

Win 10 is still good up to 2025, after that it's cheaper to go to HR Block.

For Windows 8 and 8.1, there was a hack to allow installation without product key. 

If Windows 11 Home really does not allow installation without internet, I hope someone will discover a hack. 

At a past internship at a non-profit, I helped with the reformatting/resetting of their laptops which are loan out to students temporarily during lockdown. A majority of them were low end consumer Windows 10 laptops running Windows 10 Home.

Windows 11 mandating an email account will result in the laptops being stuck with Windows 10 which will eventually be unsupported or the laptops being upgraded to Pro but unactivated. 

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

it's pointless, there are no official ISO yet, the leaked one isn't close to be the final build or the preview build from the insider program.

The Home version does require a MS account to set it up, it's possible the workaround you found won't work with the retail version.

Here I am with the pro version that doesn't have this issue 😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Is the title bad joke or something? Hotmail as a branding hasn't been a thing for past 10 years.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Is the title bad joke or something? Hotmail as a branding hasn't been a thing for past 10 years.

i assumed it is; your post is making me think otherwise though 🤔

PS: i didn't know the forum had an option to add emoji like this, i guess you learn something new everyday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
typos everywhere ohgodsaveme

On 6/30/2021 at 5:40 AM, LogicalDrm said:

True i'm old school i guess haha