New RAM runs at wrong frequency

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
34 minutes ago, heraldofsolace said:

I have a Ryzen 5 2400G system with MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard. Last month I decided to swap my RAMs for G SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x8GB 3200 Mhz sticks (in slots 2 and 4). Then I applied the DDR4-3200 profile from the BIOS and it worked correctly.

Today I bought the same kit and filled in slots 1 and 3. Now when I try to boot, the PC restarts twice (which I suppose is the memory failure count) and when it boots, it sets the RAMs at 1866MHz. I tried setting DDR4-3200 at the BIOS settings. I tried to activate A-XMP  (profile 2 - 3200MHz) but same issue for both. It reverts back to 1866.

Selecting XMP profile 1, however gives me 2933MHz. Anything higher than that reverts back to 1866.

Using the old sticks only I can select 3200MHz. Also using the new sticks only I can select 3200MHz as well.

My memory is that the 2400g has a limit on memory speed that may very well be a good bit lower than 3200mhz.  People have occasionally increased that speed by overclocking the chip.  Not sure how that works though.  It’s real possible that the highest the cpu can go is 2933 and anymore just makes for bad things. 

I have a Ryzen 5 2400G system with MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard. Last month I decided to swap my RAMs for G SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x8GB 3200 Mhz sticks (in slots 2 and 4). Then I applied the DDR4-3200 profile from the BIOS and it worked correctly.

Today I bought the same kit and filled in slots 1 and 3. Now when I try to boot, the PC restarts twice (which I suppose is the memory failure count) and when it boots, it sets the RAMs at 1866MHz. I tried setting DDR4-3200 at the BIOS settings. I tried to activate A-XMP  (profile 2 - 3200MHz) but same issue for both. It reverts back to 1866.

Selecting XMP profile 1, however gives me 2933MHz. Anything higher than that reverts back to 1866.

Using the old sticks only I can select 3200MHz. Also using the new sticks only I can select 3200MHz as well.

Running 4 sticks is harder on the memory controller than 2 sticks. On older Ryzen it is fairly normal that you can't overclock it as much when using 4 sticks.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

34 minutes ago, heraldofsolace said:

My memory is that the 2400g has a limit on memory speed that may very well be a good bit lower than 3200mhz.  People have occasionally increased that speed by overclocking the chip.  Not sure how that works though.  It’s real possible that the highest the cpu can go is 2933 and anymore just makes for bad things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah. https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2400g

The max speed is listed as 2933 MHz

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Honestly I am surprised you got 3200 mhz working on it in the first place. I remember when I ran a 2700x but it wouldn't run anything over 2933 even with just 2 sticks of ram. Also keep in mind the 2400g is zen not zen+ so I had expected it to have bad memory controllers like the other zen chips but I guess the 2400g with the ram you have can actually hit 3200 mhz which in my mind is a miracle. 

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll have to stay satisfied with 2933Mhz

16 minutes ago, heraldofsolace said:

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll have to stay satisfied with 2933Mhz

If your memory is listed as faster you might be able to tighten the timings to get some of that speed for the faster memory back. It requires the equivalent of hand overclocking memory which is sort of famously a PITA.  If you got an evening or three you want to throw into it it might be doable.  Not sure how much you’ll get.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.