Q: What are some MacOS features that you wish Windows had?

jakkuh_t

I like my terminal with transparency and colour options. Powershell looks like it was designed by the same creative minds that brought us Microsoft Bob.

• 1 month later...

I have been using macOS as main OS for 4 years, before that, I only used Windows and as a VM, I still use W10 and W11 sometimes for gaming. For me, the following features are must-have and I don't even know how could I live without them:

- Spotlight - As nearly everybody said before me, it's one of the best, especially when I need to translate a world from english to hungarian

- Terminal - As I use Linux on nearly every other computer, having the same terminal in front of me as on the servers is really nice

- Continuity / iCloud - This is one of the many reasons why someone should use macOS if they use other Apple devices. Having the opportunity to send / receive messages / phone calls on my Mac is awesome. I need to enter the verification code send in SMS? No problem, it arrives on macOS. Need to copy the bank account number from my iPhone? Universal Clipboard, no problem. Need to upload a picture of my exam but I have only 10s left? Take a picture using iPhone, no problem. (This last one actually saved my ass many many times 🙂 )

- Built-in apps like Preview, Pages, Numbers, iMovie - Is probably integrated in the Mac's price but having "Photoshop Lite", Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Office, Premiere "Lite" as a built-in feature is just really nice. (Story: My father uses Windows and always stunned how fast I can do the PDF work for him on my Mac with just a built-in feature. I don't need to buy any additional software to do my work, it's right there. )

- Installing updates - The feature where my Mac can install updates during my sleep is really nice.

- iOS-like apps - Having apps like Notes, Reminders, Calendar and Photos is soo nice.

- Built-in firewall, FileVault, "antivirus" - When someone opens the box and sets a new Mac, It's not required to install any additional app and can be used right out of the box for most people. 

Overall, the whole system feels like stupid-proof. For a normal user, it just can't be destroyed. (for an advanced user, of course it's not stupid-proof 🙂 ) It feels that you don't need to deal with any technical stuff. You just open it and use it, then close it.