PC restarts when i play games

Metalfreak665

When gaming (usually within 30 seconds) my PC shuts off then the entire system flashes several times as if its trying to turn on and will eventually start. The flashes have been between 3 - 18 times so there is no distinct pattern.

So for some background, i have been having random game crashes for about a year now (even after swapping GPU's) and just recently my graphics card would crash when i would open a game and then it progressed to fully restarting itself every time i opened a game. So i just bought a brand new power supply and hooked it up, now it crashes after about 30 seconds into a game and when it turns off it the entire system flashes like it cant turn on a few times before eventually booting up. Is it possible that anything else could cause this or do i just have terrible luck with PSU's?

I do plan to test my friends PSU in my system but due to schedules it will be a few days, so I'm just looking for some quick second opinions

GPUs RTX 2080 UC, GTX 1080 sc (crashes happen regardless which i use)

CPU intel i7 8700k

MB MSI z370 sli plus

PSU (old) corsair 850 gold, (new) Corsair 750 gold

Try testing the CPU with Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a hour.

Try testing the RAM with Memtest86.

Try testing the GPU with GPUPI 3.3.3,Press Calculate then use the following settings:

32B HWbot GPU

choose your GPU in OpenCL GPU devices

Batch size: 20M

Reduction size: 512

Then press OK to start.

(Press cancel if a message about HPET appears)

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

Prime95 download page:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Memtest86 download page:

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

GPUPI 3.3.3 download page:

https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

55 minutes ago, Metalfreak665 said:

When gaming (usually within 30 seconds) my PC shuts off then the entire system flashes several times as if its trying to turn on and will eventually start. The flashes have been between 3 - 18 times so there is no distinct pattern.

So for some background, i have been having random game crashes for about a year now (even after swapping GPU's) and just recently my graphics card would crash when i would open a game and then it progressed to fully restarting itself every time i opened a game. So i just bought a brand new power supply and hooked it up, now it crashes after about 30 seconds into a game and when it turns off it the entire system flashes like it cant turn on a few times before eventually booting up. Is it possible that anything else could cause this or do i just have terrible luck with PSU's?

I do plan to test my friends PSU in my system but due to schedules it will be a few days, so I'm just looking for some quick second opinions

GPUs RTX 2080 UC, GTX 1080 sc (crashes happen regardless which i use)

CPU intel i7 8700k

MB MSI z370 sli plus

PSU (old) corsair 850 gold, (new) Corsair 750 gold

The problem is most likely the CPU, MB or RAM. You need to isolate which. When you see the system "try to start" several times that sometimes means it's trying to reset the memory timings until it finds a stable one.

It's not the PSU, I can pretty much assure you of that. While I've not run into a "bad PSU" in quite a while, it's one of the more reliable parts. Same with RAM, usually RAM is very reliable, but the timings aren't always reliable. The GPU is likewise unlikely to be the issue as effect you're seeing would be something would require a load that is usually difficult to meet on a consumer desktop.

What I would suggest is that the next time it boots, go into the memory timings and turn off XMP, and leave everything in AUTO and see what happens.