Help with internet wire configuration please.

Thaenatos

So my living room doesn’t have a coax cable connection however we have this at&t outlet. If I remember correctly broadband was internet so if I remove the outlets face plate  could I change it to a coax cable or Ethernet type cable? I’m not really sure what’s behind it and I don’t want to mess something up.

image.jpg

Does your internet come in from a coax connection?

Those are phone jacks, the broadband one is for dsl probably. If you have internet over coax, those can't be used for internet in your use case.

well as of right now I have no way to run ethernet to my living room either by wall jack or coax to moca adapter. Right now im using a powerline adapter and this thing gives me like 27mbps. 

3 minutes ago, Thaenatos said:

well as of right now I have no way to run ethernet to my living room either by wall jack or coax to moca adapter. Right now im using a powerline adapter and this thing gives me like 27mbps. 

Do you know where that cable runs to? It probably runs to the isp, so its not of any use to you.

Wifi probalby would give you better speeds, or run a cable through the walls.

I have no idea. Im staying in an apartment right now. The wiring for this place is so convoluted it took 4 techs to even figure out why I wasn't getting internet to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Thaenatos said:

I have no idea. Im staying in an apartment right now. The wiring for this place is so convoluted it took 4 techs to even figure out why I wasn't getting internet to begin with.

Your screwed. You cant fish wires thru the wall or anything.

If you have DSL internet its not a surprise it took 4 techs. AT&T is trying to kill off aDSL. In many areas the copper on the poles is need of replacement. Also Ive heard that some of the equipment used to supply aDSL is in short supply. While AT&T is committed to VDSL for now, their true plan is Fiber is select areas and 5G in the rest. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Your screwed. You cant fish wires thru the wall or anything.

If you have DSL internet its not a surprise it took 4 techs. AT&T is trying to kill off aDSL. In many areas the copper on the poles is need of replacement. Also Ive heard that some of the equipment used to supply aDSL is in short supply. While AT&T is committed to VDSL for now, their true plan is Fiber is select areas and 5G in the rest. 

I actually have Xfinity comcast internet 😂 I guess my only option would be to run a long ethernet cable from the upstairs bedroom to the living room.

Just now, Thaenatos said:

I actually have Xfinity comcast internet 😂 I guess my only option would be to run a long ethernet cable from the upstairs bedroom to the living room.

Oh you have problems there as well. If you seen the way they wired my aunts two bed room apartment, SMH. She has two coax hookups in the apartment. One for the living room and one for the master bedroom. They quite literally ran the bedroom connection thru the wall, in to the second bedroom, thru its closet, in to the living room. Its the dumbest thing I saw. 

My advice would be to run the Ethernet cable around the baseboards. Maybe use some of those 3M command strips to hold the cabling to the wall. 

Do long cables mess with the latency at all?

6 minutes ago, Thaenatos said:

Do long cables mess with the latency at all?

Not noticeable. And Cables can be up to 100m or 328ft.