Galaxy S21 or Galaxy A52?

Inter_ok

Hey there, 
I'm a 15 year old teenager and I want a phone that would give me good performance as well as last somewhere between 3-5 years. iPhones are great too but I really want an Android phone, a Samsung phone specifically. This is my first own phone instead of a hand-me-down phone. The S21 and A52 look like very compelling options to me. Here are the things that I plan to do on my phone:

Social Media: Instagram, Reddit, Twitter, YouTube

Camera: Scanning documents and sharing it quickly, Taking photos and selfies

Battery use: 6 hours a day screen on time in a day or so

I would like any help from you guys! Thanks!

gaming 👍

3 minutes ago, Inter_ok said:

This is my first own phone instead of a hand-me-down phone. The S21 and A52 look like very compelling options to me. Here are the things that I plan to do on my phone:

So youre comparing the flagship product of the Galaxy series right now, to a middle of the pack, of a middle of the pack phones? Nice. If i were being honest, in short term value, the A series is amazing but imo the asian-exclusive M series (basically A with a gargantuan battery) is better than them. S21 is... S21. Its polarizing to say the least but right now its a pretty competitive phone for android standards but for what its worth i would still wait till the price drops again whenever S22 drops (aka, the next Unpacked)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

The S21 is just the objectively better phone, that should be obvious, but whether or not you want to spend that much money on a cell phone is up to you.

Why must it be a Samsung? Surely there's nothing stopping you from buying a Motorola, Google Pixel, or OnePlus. Oh, and obligatory RIP to LG mobile.

I think you are better off just buying an s or note 10, they have fallen in value alot since theyre release so you can get something thats on oar with an s21 for a similar price to an upper midrage or midrange phone

2 minutes ago, wavem2 said:

Why must it be a Samsung? Surely there's nothing stopping you from buying a Motorola, Google Pixel, or OnePlus. Oh, and obligatory RIP to LG mobile.

The region I live in does not sell Google or OnePlus phones, and I think the same goes with Motorola

gaming 👍

Galaxy S21 is actually pretty bad deal. Most stores still sell it for ridiculous 900€ price tags and this thing comes with frigging PLASTIC back. PLASTIC on 800+ € phone. And I'm hearing Galaxy S22+ is getting plastic shit too. Having plastic on flagship range is just unforgivable and so painfully obvious cost savings to increase margins, not to make device cheaper for end user. What's next, Galaxy S23 having plastic back even on Ultra model unless you pick it's range topping version with most RAM and most storage possible. It's just absurd beyond belief.

Galaxy A52 having plastic back, at price point it's selling, it's understandable. On S21, not even a bit.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Galaxy S21 is actually pretty bad deal. Most stores still sell it for ridiculous 900€ price tags and this thing comes with frigging PLASTIC back. PLASTIC on 800+ € phone. And I'm hearing Galaxy S22+ is getting plastic shit too. Having plastic on flagship range is just unforgivable and so painfully obvious cost savings to increase margins, not to make device cheaper for end user. What's next, Galaxy S23 having plastic back even on Ultra model unless you pick it's range topping version with most RAM and most storage possible. It's just absurd beyond belief.

Galaxy A52 having plastic back, at price point it's selling, it's understandable. On S21, not even a bit.

To be fair, plastic backs are at least more durable, and I personally prefer them. Espevailly when they're used to allow for a removable battery. However, the cost cutting on the S21 line is still over the top, and the main feature (QHD displays) that imo really helps sell the flagships is gone from all but the Ultra. The missing MicroSD card slot adds more insult to injury. 

If I were in OP's shoes, I'd save the money and buy an A52 or better yet, an S10/Note 10+ or even something out of the S20 line. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

11 hours ago, lboolaka_33 said:

To be fair, plastic backs are at least more durable, and I personally prefer them. Espevailly when they're used to allow for a removable battery. However, the cost cutting on the S21 line is still over the top, and the main feature (QHD displays) that imo really helps sell the flagships is gone from all but the Ultra. The missing MicroSD card slot adds more insult to injury. 

If I were in OP's shoes, I'd save the money and buy an A52 or better yet, an S10/Note 10+ or even something out of the S20 line. 

Plastic backs are not more durable. I never shattered any glass on any phone, ever. But plastic parts always get horrible, especially shiny mirror ones or painted plastics that rub off the fancy coating and then expose the whatever color plastic underneath. It just looks so bad when phone is all worn and scratched on the edges from simply placing it on table and into pocket. And if you drop it you'll have a nasty dent even from mild drops. I had phone fall from my pocket when sitting and nothing happened. Not even a scratch. Plastic would get a dent for sure.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Plastic backs are not more durable. I never shattered any glass on any phone, ever. But plastic parts always get horrible, especially shiny mirror ones or painted plastics that rub off the fancy coating and then expose the whatever color plastic underneath. It just looks so bad when phone is all worn and scratched on the edges from simply placing it on table and into pocket. And if you drop it you'll have a nasty dent even from mild drops. I had phone fall from my pocket when sitting and nothing happened. Not even a scratch. Plastic would get a dent for sure.

Good point about the scratches and stuff, though I didn't know about the wear aspect and the likelihood of dents. Wear on the coating may just be due to a cheap back on whatever phones you used, though?  

If these kinds of backs are so bad, then I guess what I actually want is an s5 style back. That thing took all kinds of abuse from me without a case. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

8 hours ago, lboolaka_33 said:

Good point about the scratches and stuff, though I didn't know about the wear aspect and the likelihood of dents. Wear on the coating may just be due to a cheap back on whatever phones you used, though?  

If these kinds of backs are so bad, then I guess what I actually want is an s5 style back. That thing took all kinds of abuse from me without a case. 

I would much rather have a dent in the plastic than the glass back shattering if i accidentally drop the phone on the ground. And personally I could care less about what the rear of the phone is made of because I put my phone in a case, either way if you drop it theres a risk of damage and a case helps reduce the chance of the phone getting damaged.

But I agree I'd like to see the Galaxy S5 style back, and removable batteries are a feature that should still be an option IMO.