PC couldn't boot because of xmp?

NICULL
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
1 minute ago, NICULL said:

Well should i use xmp or not? should i just manually clock it to 3200mhz? 

not sure, try both, i never had luck with changing anything while XMP was on, but I read it worked for some people , probably depends on motherboard and Ram itself also. 

Also tbh, if it works now im not sure its worth trying, i mean performance difference should be really small, id be more concerned about stability at this point.

What Ram kit do you have anyway? 

Last week i made a post about my psu "Dying", pc kept posting in safe mode because of a system instability, but also sometimes boot cycled or just black screen not even a no signal message. I just pressed F1 to run setup and it worked perfectly fine till this morning, same post in safemode message. Some research later i found out this could be an xmp issue, so i cleared cmos by taking out the battery for like 15 minutes, and then it booted just fine. i then manually clocked the ram to 1.3V and 3000mhz, but then i remember the 2700x can only support up to 2933mhz. But then a friend with a 2700 suggested to put the ram sticks in the 2 and 4 slots and try xmp again, so i did that and it boot cycled, then i changed them back and its still working fine rn, i changed the frequency to 2933 at 1.2V. everything else besides cpu fan speed is default bios, (i have an asus tuf b450 plus board, with a 2700x and adata xpg gammix d10 ram 2x8 3200mhz) I never heard of anyone having issues with 3200mhz ram on 1st gen ryzen even tho it technically doesnt support it. Ive been running xmp for 8 months straight and only recently ive had this boot issue. Will i run into the same crap again next week? Is my ram broken or anything? It can boot just fine with single channel aswell as dual channel. Was just xmp the issue? I don't care if i can't use 3200mhz im fine with 2933 but i just want to know if my problem is solved.

unknown.png

3 minutes ago, NICULL said:

everything else besides cpu fan speed is default bios, (i have an asus tuf b450 plus board, with a 2700x and adata xpg gammix d10 ram 2x8 3200mhz) I never heard of anyone having issues with 3200mhz ram on 1st gen ryzen even tho it technically doesnt support it. Ive been running xmp for 8 months straight and only recently ive had this boot issue. Will i run into the same crap again next week? Is my ram broken or anything? It can boot just fine with single channel aswell as dual channel. Was just xmp the issue? I don't care if i can't use 3200mhz im fine with 2933 but i just want to know if my problem is solved.

...well if your 2933 1.3 works, then it should be it. D10 comes with nanya die 99% of the time which REALLY dont wanna play ball with Zen+ (ex owners of it), so sometimes underclocking from its XMP spec works better for system stability.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

First of all, XMP can be very tricky. 1st gen ryzen could reach 3200mhz memory speed but it wasn;t always stable. 2nd gen can reach easily 3200 with 1.35volts. I had an R5 2600x at 3400mhz with 1.38volts (which is a little too much). Did you try to manually increase the speed to 3200 with 1.35v?
1.3v may be too low and that is why the bad behaviour.
And yes totally put the ram sticks in 2 and 4 for better performance+stability
Try 3200mhz with 1.35volts.
Don't worry even 1.4 volts arent dangerous for DDR4 but 1.35 has better longevity

You're not guaranteed anything aside from the max supported speeds of the IMC.  That's all there is to is.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

45 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

...well if your 2933 1.3 works, then it should be it. D10 comes with nanya die 99% of the time which REALLY dont wanna play ball with Zen+ (ex owners of it), so sometimes underclocking from its XMP spec works better for system stability.

So should i just underclock to 2933 1.2V with xmp enabled? i currently have xmp at 3200mhz since i just updated the bios of the board. It said theres improved memory stability or some crap

45 minutes ago, PaniVirusGR said:

First of all, XMP can be very tricky. 1st gen ryzen could reach 3200mhz memory speed but it wasn;t always stable. 2nd gen can reach easily 3200 with 1.35volts. I had an R5 2600x at 3400mhz with 1.38volts (which is a little too much). Did you try to manually increase the speed to 3200 with 1.35v?
Don't worry even 1.4 volts arent dangerous for DDR4 but 1.35 has better longevity

PC literally boot cycles if i put the sticks in those slots

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

You're not guaranteed anything aside from the max supported speeds of the IMC.  That's all there is to is.

i read sometimes people had to put slightly more voltage to get xmp to work, couldnt that be the issue here?

i mean i havent had that issue yet, as at least xmp always worked for me.

"3000" Ram was running at 2933 but that was with a 2200G, and still close enough. 

PS: i also recently tried to run 3200 Ram on that same 2200G, not an issue, set XMP and forget…  i got even "1FPS" boost compared to the "2933" Ram (lmao)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

i read sometimes people had to put slightly more voltage to get xmp to work, couldnt that be the issue here?

i mean i havent had that issue yet, as at least xmp always worked for me.

"3000" Ram was running at 2933 but that was with a 2200G, and still close enough. 

PS: i also recently tried to run 3200 Ram on that same 2200G, not an issue, set XMP and forget…  i got even "1FPS" boost compared to the "2933" Ram (lmao)

My pc worked without issue for 8 months straight with xmp enabled. idfk wat happened recently but is it worth trying to fix this? like trying to make 3200mhz stable on this board and cpu. or should i just use 2933 at 1.2v I want the system to be very stable even if it costs me like 5 fps i dont really care that much, i just want issues like this again in the future.

1 hour ago, PaniVirusGR said:

Wait you mean, ok so my kit runs at 1.35V with xmp, should i increase it to 1.4? is that why i couldn't boot?  The Vboot voltage 

i think u could at least try that, but as you see i asked the same question  since i only know that i read that worked for some people.

also i have no idea about the underlying issues why it first worked with 3200(?) and now doesnt.

13 minutes ago, NICULL said:

Wait you mean, ok so my kit runs at 1.35V

also does it really? you can check that with hwinfo64 , for example i oc my Ram to 3600, set it to 1.35v in BIOS, but it really runs at 1.36v.

I would also recommend to try small steps when trying more voltage, 1.35 to 1.40 seems huge, try 0.02 steps instead (imo)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i think u could at least try that, but as you see i asked the same question  since i only know that i read that worked for some people.

also i have no idea about the underlying issues why it first worked with 3200(?) and now doesnt.

also does it really? you can check that with hwinfo64 , for example i oc my Ram to 3600, set it to 1.35v in BIOS, but it really runs at 1.36v.

I would also recommend to try small steps when trying more voltage, 1.35 to 1.40 seems huge, try 0.02 steps instead (imo)

1 minute ago, NICULL said:

not sure, try both, i never had luck with changing anything while XMP was on, but I read it worked for some people , probably depends on motherboard and Ram itself also. 

Also tbh, if it works now im not sure its worth trying, i mean performance difference should be really small, id be more concerned about stability at this point.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah theres like 5 - 10 fps difference, depending on the game between 2933 and 3200mhz, but i just want to know if theres any way to make xmp stable on my system. Adata xpg gammix d10, cl16 (its the 16gb one)

Don't know who exactly to mark as solution as i am still somewat confused, since im new to all the ryzen stuff, ive only eve used FM2+ But What ive decided to do is save up for something like a good CL15 3200mhz Kit, downclock it to 2933, and in the future when i will upgrade to 3rd or 2nd gen zen finally use xmp with it. The speed decrease for now doesnt bother me much since fps difference is barely noticeable. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions.

EDIT: currently i will use 2933, at 1.2V till then, if i still somehow have boot issues i will just increase the voltage. or something anyway thanks.

Edited by NICULL