Need help, PC runs unstable :(

BetrayedByAMD

Hello,

my specs:

-Gigabyte Auros X570 PRO rev 1.0 (f33 bios ver)

-Rtx 2080ti

-Ryzen 9 3950x 

-32GB ram

-BeQuiet Psu 750W

so recently my Pc randomly rebooted. I bought alot components second hand but they worked with no problems for month. I didn’t intentionally oc nor do i think anythin was tampered with. Anyway, after using it for month with no issues sometimes the PC would randomly reboot. I could be playing games on ultra, render scenes but sometimes it would reboot (no BSOD) while doing something mundane as watching Youtube. So i ignored it as it wasn’t frequent until it started to happen once per session, (sometimes even after a day or so). 

I then looked at solutions. I replaced my psu, as people suggested it may have been a power error. I updated bios, installed newest chipset but it didnt work. Then I downloaded a software called OCCT. I stress tested the cpu and gpu and the tests worked fine. HOWEVER, when i test the power the PC would reboot within a minute. Eventually i downloaded ryzen master and set the profile to manual, and it was a frequency of 3500 and voltage of 1.4 and voila, the power test works! The pc doesnt reboot! Then i tested with a frequency of 4000 and Voltage of 1,35 and it also was stable enough to run the tests. However ryzen master doesnt safe the result and i have reset bios by removing the battery and all and it still doesnt work (after rebooting, ryzen masters settings are gone again), which leads me to believe the bios are set up wrong

Now I havent really done anything in my bios, although on feedback from people i tried disabling pbo, cpb which also didnt work. I have no experience playing around with voltages and max frequencies. I am not sure how to set it up but as mentioned, I believe its to do with that. How could i apply a fix permanently in bios that will run stable? I dont want the cpu to get 1,4 v constantly and not run on max frequency either (4,700) as it gets hot and unnecessary. Without edits, the cpu is usually around 50-60c, with auto oc or manual in ryzen master, it goes down to 40 ish. 

Can someone please help me what are the buttons to push to make it stable again?

What CPU cooler are you using? 1.4 is stock voltage, 3.5 is your base clock speed and 4.7 is your boost speed. These are normal operating parameters and it's also worth noting that your temps are totally fine. You don't really need to change anything here. If you REALLY want to undervolt, I can walk you through that, but I would honestly recommend upgrading your cooling first if you are worried about temps.

Also, don't change core clock or voltage in software. I strongly recommend you do this in BIOS. Here and happy to help walk you through this.

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

If you aren't having a random shut down issue anymore, I would call the issue repaired.

To get an accurate readout, I use different software than you do. Particularly on my Ryzen 3100, I couldn't find a way to get independent core temperatures. I use Prime95 (find it here) with the selection set to Small FFTs - not smallest. The exact option is SMALL FFTs. This will place a load on your CPU and bring it up to the absolute maximum temperature it will be reaching in actual operation. Your thermal maximum is identical to mine - 95 degrees celsius. Anything below this is safe. My CPU, for example is overclocked to the absolute moon with me aiming for a maximum threshold of about 80 degrees celsius while running this test. You're WAY under that at stock voltages.

Get yourself Core Temp (link) and while you are running Prime95, keep an eye on two metrics - one, that your core load should be at 100%.

Two, you're also watching for temperatures, keeping a mind that you want to be under 95, but I personally recommend between 75 and 85 degrees as a safe realm of operation.

This is the basis of stress testing as it applies to changing your voltages and clock speeds, but I must reiterate, it doesn't sound like you need to, and it's not something I really recommend for an inexperienced user unless you are willing to replace parts should you make a mistake.

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

3 hours ago, derpkotacasper said:

If you aren't having a random shut down issue anymore, I would call the issue repaired.

To get an accurate readout, I use different software than you do. Particularly on my Ryzen 3100, I couldn't find a way to get independent core temperatures. I use Prime95 (find it here) with the selection set to Small FFTs - not smallest. The exact option is SMALL FFTs. This will place a load on your CPU and bring it up to the absolute maximum temperature it will be reaching in actual operation. Your thermal maximum is identical to mine - 95 degrees celsius. Anything below this is safe. My CPU, for example is overclocked to the absolute moon with me aiming for a maximum threshold of about 80 degrees celsius while running this test. You're WAY under that at stock voltages.

Get yourself Core Temp (link) and while you are running Prime95, keep an eye on two metrics - one, that your core load should be at 100%.

Two, you're also watching for temperatures, keeping a mind that you want to be under 95, but I personally recommend between 75 and 85 degrees as a safe realm of operation.

This is the basis of stress testing as it applies to changing your voltages and clock speeds, but I must reiterate, it doesn't sound like you need to, and it's not something I really recommend for an inexperienced user unless you are willing to replace parts should you make a mistake.

The problem is with the default bios settings, with ryzen master if i set it to auto oc or manual mode and then do the power test in Occt, it works. With the default settings it immediately restarts. My main question is what is making auto oc and manual run stable but not default and therefore, which settings to tweak in bios to make it permanent

Leave it at auto.

Happy to help.

You're leaving performance on the table otherwise. You may as well. Just monitor thermals for a bit after doing that and try to keep it below like 85 or better. If you're still concerned, I again, recommend an upgrade to your cooling system.

Happy to help.

update your bios and load "optimized default settings"  dont change anything  afterwards, leave it at default and check for a few weeks for issues.

Either a badly optimized BIOS or user error imo, hence a BIOS update / default settings could fix it.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, derpkotacasper said:

You're leaving performance on the table otherwise. You may as well. Just monitor thermals for a bit after doing that and try to keep it below like 85 or better. If you're still concerned, I again, recommend an upgrade to your cooling system.

Thats the problem, leaving everything on stock/optimized defaults is unstablex In ryzen master auto oc works, but idk how to permanently set that in bios

Oh yeah, and uninstall Ryzen master, lots of issues with that…

1 minute ago, BetrayedByAMD said:

leaving everything on stock/optimized defaults is unstable

Did you update your BIOS recently?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh yeah, and uninstall Ryzen master, lots of issues with that…

Did you update your BIOS recently?

I have tried uninstalling ryzen master already. Yea bios were recently updated but didn’t help. But with everything default the pc will reboot randomly sometimes 

maybe your cpu gets a little less power than it needs, can try a positive voltage offset +25mv or so, make surevin windows its never using above 1.5v, and with the voltage offset it should still downclock.

Also again, do not use Ryzem Master , also use windows "balanced" power mode.

I had similar issues, i guess, but Bios update seems finally have to fixed it for me. Still using balanced power mode tho as it simply gives me best performance.

p sure i set it to 55% minimum and 100% maximum processor state.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity