What's the difference between a SSD drive and a HDD drive on Ps4 Pro?

Alex-Bubbler-Leo
Go to solution Solved by Omar.B,
13 minutes ago, Alex-Bubbler-Leo said:

Hi everyone!!!

I want to buy a new hard drive for my Ps4. What's the difference between SSD and HDD drives? Also, what's the difference in the price?

The ssd is faster than the hdd much faster so its better the price is close 

Hi everyone!!!

I want to buy a new hard drive for my Ps4. What's the difference between SSD and HDD drives? Also, what's the difference in the price?

13 minutes ago, Alex-Bubbler-Leo said:

Hi everyone!!!

The ssd is faster than the hdd much faster so its better the price is close 

15 minutes ago, Alex-Bubbler-Leo said:

Hi everyone!!!

I don’t know anything about PS4.  Sony is famous for obnoxious forced proprietary standards though so there’s probably some really specific stuff you have to do to change out a drive. 

I can tell you what the difference is between an SSD and a HDD is though.

anSSD is not unlike a giant SD card. SSD is “solid state disk” there is no actual disc though. It’s a pc board with a bunch of nand chips soldered to it.  They’re orders of magnitude faster than HDDs and they have a totally different way they wear.

HDDs are actual mechanical disks.  The tech is a lot older and you can write them a very nearly infinite number of times for a set period of time.  Commonly around 5 years, though that varies. This is quite different than SSDs which are good for a specific (and very large) number of writes.  If a system is constantly written to HDDs vastly outlast SSDs, but if it’s a drive that is written to rarely SSDs can outlast HDDs.  Because of this a lot of enterprise server applications don’t use SSDs and use HDDs instead, but for PCs SSDs are really popular because they’re much faster and smaller and especially with a system drive which doesn’t get written to a lot, can outlast HDDs to boot. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know anything about PS4.  Sony is famous for obnoxious forced proprietary standards though so there’s probably some really specific stuff you have to do to change out a drive. 

I can tell you what the difference is between an SSD and a HDD is though.

anSSD is not unlike a giant SD card. SSD is “solid state disk” there is no actual disc though. It’s a pc board with a bunch of nand chips soldered to it.  They’re orders of magnitude faster than HDDs and they have a totally different way they wear.

HDDs are actual mechanical disks.  The tech is a lot older and you can write them a very nearly infinite number of times for a set period of time.  Commonly around 5 years, though that varies. This is quite different than SSDs which are good for a specific (and very large) number of writes.  If a system is constantly written to HDDs vastly outlast SSDs, but if it’s a drive that is written to rarely SSDs can outlast HDDs.  Because of this a lot of enterprise server applications don’t use SSDs and use HDDs instead, but for PCs SSDs are really popular because they’re much faster and smaller and especially with a system drive which doesn’t get written to a lot, can outlast HDDs to boot. 

As for speed. Games do load a bit faster but not too much with an ssd in the ps4. Mainly due to the weak af cpu in there being the limiting factor and why less cpu bound games do have rather big improvements. That and no game is made with the assumption there is a ssd in the ps4 so often the drive is chilling whilst loading due to certain time checks and whatnot.

The PS4 Pro is the best PS4 to install SSD, since is the only one that supports SATA3. I have a PS4 Slim with SSD and still i think it was worth it.

Detailed tests from Digital Foundry:

JP