I was going to upgrade...but I might buy a Gaming Laptop instead!

I was planning on upgrading my build (had for like 3-4 years) and I noticed that recent gaming laptops were looking pretty good!

At first I felt like it was a crazy idea but I started creating a new build that I could switch to in the coming months and it was around 1k (Ryzen 5 5600X + 3060 assuming I could get one for around 400). This didn't even include storage (already have 2 SSDs and a HDD) and it was a little costly. 

I then looked at some laptops and I found a laptop with a Ryzen 7 5800H, 3070, 16GB RAM, 165Hz display, 512GB M.2 (with space for my current 1TB M.2) and more for 1.3k! It has most of its ports at the back so it'll look good on the desk/setup and it's portable!! I could take it downstairs and plug it into the larger TV when playing RDR2 and then go back to my room to play some Valorant or Battlefield 2042 on the desk/setup. These new laptops also have USB C Display ports alongside the HDMI allowing for multiple displays. It's got a nice form factor, which helps with the fact that I'll probably be going University in September (I'll have to buy a laptop anyway) 

I've always had a desktop computer so I am not sure if there are any hidden downsides to having a laptop instead of a desktop computer (You can't upgrade the GPU, but I'll be fine with the 3070 for many years)

It looks like a good buy to me so I may switch to it in the coming months. 

I wonder if I will miss the feeling of having the big metal machine, which I can admire, clean and change parts every now and again...

5 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

I'll probably be going University in September

Would this have the battery life you'd need for University?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 minute ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Good point @wONKEyeYEs

I’ll watch some videos and found out how long the battery will last during productivity sessions. Thanks for the reminder!

The worst thing about laptops is cooling.

So much performance packed into a little enclosure.

Usually high end parts packed in a laptop, you'll end up with thermal throttling performance loss.

Just something to think about.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

7 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

I checked and it appears that the battery life can last around 7 hours when set to one of the power modes and around 3 hours running in the normal mode. 7 hours sounds pretty solid and should do the trick. 

After seeing your messages, I checked some videos, which ran several games on the Lenovo laptop and it appeared to perform well in temperatures with 60s for the GPU and 70s for the CPU. I think this shouldn’t cause throttling so it sounds good. Thanks for the heads up @Tech87 @Forbidden Wafer

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you want good battery life you should buy a notebook instead. Most gaming laptops have very high TDP CPU's which will cause below average battery life.

2 hours ago, Tech87 said:

Usually high end parts packed in a laptop, you'll end up with thermal throttling performance loss.

If there are no power limits, yes they will throttle. But that's not the case with most gaming laptops.

Even in Aida64 FPU+Furmark test they will keep power limits in place and not thermal throttle. Different models have different power limits, that's why some are better than others.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Look into the asus g15 or Lenovo legion 5 lineup and maybe aim for the 5800 + 3060 config as those have 4+hours of battery life.

6 hours ago, afaq0 said:

I was planning on upgrading my build (had for like 3-4 years) and I noticed that recent gaming laptops were looking pretty good!

At first I felt like it was a crazy idea but I started creating a new build that I could switch to in the coming months and it was around 1k (Ryzen 5 5600X + 3060 assuming I could get one for around 400). This didn't even include storage (already have 2 SSDs and a HDD) and it was a little costly. 

I then looked at some laptops and I found a laptop with a Ryzen 7 5800H, 3070, 16GB RAM, 165Hz display, 512GB M.2 (with space for my current 1TB M.2) and more for 1.3k! It has most of its ports at the back so it'll look good on the desk/setup and it's portable!! I could take it downstairs and plug it into the larger TV when playing RDR2 and then go back to my room to play some Valorant or Battlefield 2042 on the desk/setup. These new laptops also have USB C Display ports alongside the HDMI allowing for multiple displays. It's got a nice form factor, which helps with the fact that I'll probably be going University in September (I'll have to buy a laptop anyway) 

I've always had a desktop computer so I am not sure if there are any hidden downsides to having a laptop instead of a desktop computer (You can't upgrade the GPU, but I'll be fine with the 3070 for many years)

It looks like a good buy to me so I may switch to it in the coming months. 

I wonder if I will miss the feeling of having the big metal machine, which I can admire, clean and change parts every now and again...

I may have missed it, but what is the laptop you are looking at?

I think you'd be happy with most 3070 laptops (Aslong as its 120+TGP) as the 3070 laptop is equivalent to a desktop 3060GPU, but like others have said check battery life as your wanting it for university and, from the sounds of the specs you've posted it sounds like a Legion 5 2021 there apparently really good laptops.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3070-Laptop/4105vsm1445007

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

4 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Different models have different power limits, that's why some are better than others.

Yeah. I made the mistake of buying a Dell G5 with 9th gen Intel, it's terrible. It starts power and thermal throttling reasonably fast, and the entire computer starts stuttering due to the fluctuating CPU clock. The stupid fan refuses to spin up and controlling it is terrible, even with tools made by the community.

15 hours ago, WickedThunder86 said:

If you want good battery life you should buy a notebook instead. Most gaming laptops have very high TDP CPU's which will cause below average battery life.

This is the main reason I was thinking against a gaming laptop for University. I will do this if I end up upgrading my PC instead but for now the Lenovo Legion 5 2021 looks like a good buy (It has a Hybrid power mode, which extends battery life and gives around 7 hours!) 

13 hours ago, genexis_x said:

If there are no power limits, yes they will throttle. But that's not the case with most gaming laptops.

Even in Aida64 FPU+Furmark test they will keep power limits in place and not thermal throttle. Different models have different power limits, that's why some are better than others.

Thanks for the Info! After looking at some videos, I think Lenovo appear to have good thermals/thermal settings!

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

Look into the asus g15 or Lenovo legion 5 lineup and maybe aim for the 5800 + 3060 config as those have 4+hours of battery life.

That's the plan 😄

9 hours ago, expiredbiscuit said:

I may have missed it, but what is the laptop you are looking at?

I'm looking at the Lenovo Legion 5 2021 Ryzen 7 5800H RTX 3070 165Hz

9 hours ago, Alexsheff93 said:

I think you'd be happy with most 3070 laptops (Aslong as its 120+TGP) as the 3070 laptop is equivalent to a desktop 3060GPU, but like others have said check battery life as your wanting it for university and, from the sounds of the specs you've posted it sounds like a Legion 5 2021 there apparently really good laptops.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3070-Laptop/4105vsm1445007

That sounds great! The laptop 3070 appears to in between the desktop 3060 and desktop 3070, which is impressive! Thanks for the info!

8 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Yeah. I made the mistake of buying a Dell G5 with 9th gen Intel, it's terrible. It starts power and thermal throttling reasonably fast, and the entire computer starts stuttering due to the fluctuating CPU clock. The stupid fan refuses to spin up and controlling it is terrible, even with tools made by the community.

I'll be sure to double check how reliable and well the laptop I'm looking at will perform. As you've said, there appears to be many laptops that are not very reliable/not build well

15 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

Thanks for moving this post. I'll be more careful next time when posting!

6 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

This is the main reason I was thinking against a gaming laptop for University. I will do this if I end up upgrading my PC instead but for now the Lenovo Legion 5 2021 looks like a good buy (It has a Hybrid power mode, which extends battery life and gives around 7 hours!) 

I'll be sure to double check how reliable and well the laptop I'm looking at will perform. As you've said, there appears to be many laptops that are not very reliable/not build well

Yup they have excellent battery life and well I do think that in 7 hours of time you can find an outlet :p. Most of the campuses have accomodations for that as the tech upgrade happened during a time 3 hours of battery life was godly :p.

Good pick of laptop. Do get the 1080p screen as that saves on battery and 1440p is wasted money at that size as it is too small to notice the pixel increase.

The legion 5 2021 series has been well reviewed by now and is seen as a very capable and reliable laptop.

Of course you have to open it up every year and give it a good blow out with compressed air for it to maintain proper operation like any laptop.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yup they have excellent battery life and well I do think that in 7 hours of time you can find an outlet :p. Most of the campuses have accomodations for that as the tech upgrade happened during a time 3 hours of battery life was godly :p.

Good pick of laptop. Do get the 1080p screen as that saves on battery and 1440p is wasted money at that size as it is too small to notice the pixel increase.

The legion 5 2021 series has been well reviewed by now and is seen as a very capable and reliable laptop.

Of course you have to open it up every year and give it a good blow out with compressed air for it to maintain proper operation like any laptop.

Yes that sounds good! As you said, I should be able to find an outlet within 7 hours 😄 

At first I was thinking about going for the 1440p but you made good points and I think I will go with the 1080p 165Hz as it is more than enough and saves battery. 

I'm happy that they've built this laptop well! 

I'll be sure to open it up once in a while to clean it up! 

Thanks for the reply ( ◑‿◑)ɔ┏🍟--🍔┑٩(^◡^ )

6 hours ago, afaq0 said:

Where you stay?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

With the current shortage of GPUs the very few I can find online are only in laptops.

So it's a very compelling route, these days

17 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

With the current shortage of GPUs the very few I can find online are only in laptops.

Atleast  the Micro centres in america are tackling the shortage the right way.making people show government ID for the purchase of GPU's... 1 GPU per person every 30 days.

2 minutes ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Atleast  the Micro centres in america are tackling the shortage the right way.making people show government ID for the purchase of GPU's... 1 GPU per person every 30 days.

In the US...

In the old continent the situation is MUCH more grim...

2 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

In the US...

In the old continent the situation is MUCH more grim...

I'm in the UK lol, ts just as bad over here were gettin fucked by bots and scalpers

15 hours ago, Alexsheff93 said:

I'm in the UK lol, ts just as bad over here were gettin fucked by bots and scalpers

I'm in the UK aswell and it's kind of impossible to get a Desktop GPU right now for a good price ( ◡́.◡̀)

15 hours ago, jippa_lippa said:

Indeed it is! Going the route of the laptop appears to be the best value route right now. Unfortunately the Desktop route has been blocked 😧

22 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Where you stay?

In the UK

On 6/17/2021 at 10:39 AM, jaslion said:

I also looked at the Asus ROG STRIX G15 and it looks good too!

I'll probably go with either the Asus ROG STRIX G15 or Lenovo Legion 5 (depends on stock and prices when I come to buy it in around 1-2 months)

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, afaq0 said:

In the UK

Go for Legion, Asus don't have MUX - you deserve to get the max possible performance you paid for

Desktop specs:

Spoiler