How much VRAM I need, 8GB or 16GB?

whm1974

So I'm trying to keep track of Intel's upcoming Xe Graphics Card and personally I doubt I would need more then 8GB of Memory for a dGPU. I have no plans on getting a 4K Display anytime soon, so... Such displays and the Cards that power them will have to drop way down in price first.

Currently using 2460x1600p and happy with it. But 8GB is still fine for the future, right? Still using my GTX 970 4GB. Just replaced the fans too. 

If you have to ask, then you probably won't need it.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Hard to say, how far in the future? 2-3-4-5-6 years?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well if you do some data tracking and whatnot 4gb was the cutoff edge for solid 1080p gaming at medium to higher settings around 2020. Looking back at 2gb and such it seems the average was about 5 years after the first increase in vram. Also console generations played a huge role.

It is impossible to accurately predict but if history repeats then 4-5 years will start being the point of 8gb becoming low.

29 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Hard to say, how far in the future? 2-3-4-5-6 years?

Considering that I'm still using the GTX 970 I purchased in Dec 2015, six years will be nice.

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well if you do some data tracking and whatnot 4gb was the cutoff edge for solid 1080p gaming at medium to higher settings around 2020. Looking back at 2gb and such it seems the average was about 5 years after the first increase in vram. Also console generations played a huge role.

It is impossible to accurately predict but if history repeats then 4-5 years will start being the point of 8gb becoming low.

Given that the Standard for PC Gaming is still 1080p, and it is nuts to spend what a decent Rig will cost on just the dGPU alone, I just don't see the average PC Gamer jumping to 4K anytime soon. 

As you already know, the vram needed is dependent on the resolution and settings you employ within your game.

It does appear 8GB is the sweet spot today.

There's actually a nice video by Jayztwocents on the subject. I'll link it below.

https://youtu.be/6vuFU_EF-38

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

31 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

As you already know, the vram needed is dependent on the resolution and settings you employ within your game.

It does appear 8GB is the sweet spot today.

There's actually a nice video by Jayztwocents on the subject. I'll link it below.

https://youtu.be/6vuFU_EF-38

2560x1600p ~60fps with Med to High Settings. Forget 4K with Ultra Graphics...

27 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

2560x1600p ~60fps with Med to High Settings. Forget 4K with Ultra Graphics...

There are probably a handful of titles that would use over 8GB today with those settings.

Moving into the future, that will only increase.

You may want to consider 12-16GB of vram to be on the safe side.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Considering that I'm still using the GTX 970 I purchased in Dec 2015, six years will be nice.

Considering that you're asking this question while still using a GTX 970@1600p on 2021, I think you'll be just fine with 8GB. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

adjusting game settings for VRAM usage is easy, my statement about the GTX970 '3.5GB' issue stays relevant;

Core craps out first.

For gaming you dont shop by VRAM, you shop by GPU performance.

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

adjusting game settings for VRAM usage is easy, my statement about the GTX970 '3.5GB' issue stays relevant;

For gaming you dont shop by VRAM, you shop by GPU performance.

This is what I thought given that some Card Manufactures have and still do put more VRAM then the dGPU can actually use.

33 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

This is what I thought given that some Card Manufactures have and still do put more VRAM then the dGPU can actually use.

Future upgradability.

Also, users who do autocad or other graphic intensive work, may use even more vram than gaming.

31 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Future upgradability.

Also, users who do autocad or other graphic intensive work, may use even more vram than gaming.

Just minor video editing and the usage of DAZ3D from time to time.

Thanks guys. Once Cards drop in Pricing and become more available I will pick out one.

I've played a number of games @ 3840x1080 (exactly half 4K) and in one or two of them, I saw VRAM usage hit just under 10GB, this was with max ingame setting (or damn near it). This is according to MSI AB which I had running to monitor temps/RAM/VRAM/GPU clk/etc. 

I think that perhaps certain game engines would dynamically limit themselves to however much VRAM is available on the cards being used. 8GB is still good for nVidia cards when DLSS is used as it cuts down on VRAM usage vs native resolution. Hopefully, AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution would help AMD cards (and GTX 1000 series cards) improve performance (with acceptable expected image quality loss) since many of the older cards (Vega, RX 470/480, RX 570/580, RX 5000 series) have up to 8GB of VRAM as max.....other than the Radeon VII that is.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2