Which 65 inch Telelvision to buy

Stoigeboiii

I was recently comparing SAMSUNG 65-Inch Class Neo QLED QN85A and LG OLED65C1PUB C1 Series 65 OLED and I'm not sure which one is better. My price range is around $2200.

I mostly watch TV shows that are normally 1080p SDR quality but I have an nvidia shield and use its upscaling. I occasionally watch movies and about half of the TV shows I watch anime. I know the Samsung is suppose to be better for SDR content but the LG is an OLED. So I'm not sure which one is better. 

Any recommendations would be great even if it's not the two TVs I listed here! Thank you

Unless ur living in a very bright room, if u have the option to pick an OLED at the size u want, get it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The LG is one of the best OLEDs currently available, the Samsung you listed doesn't even come close.

The QN85A is good, but still not quite that of the C1. Samsung uses an IPS panel in this particular model, and this (obviously) comes with the common drawbacks of such a panel:

-Trouble reproducing deep blacks

-Poor black uniformity

-Poor contrast ratio (in comparison to OLED)

-Poor pixel response times (in comparison to OLED; the average pixel response time is less than 2ms)

-Haloing & Blooming issues

Sources:

Samsung QN85A QLED Review

LG C1 OLED Review

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

LG oled forsure

I got a Samsung Q80T, and it has nasty vertical dark lines on really bright scenes

It's usually really hard to see them, but im def going lg next time.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

Either the Samsung QN90A or the LG C1 OLED. Both are excellent TV's with their own advantages and disadvantages.

The Samsung QN90A (EU Model is the QN95A) get's brighter (1800 nits in HDR, 1500 nits in SDR) and has a better anti-reflective coating. So if you're mainly in a brightly lit room or a room with many windows, you might want to get this. Gaming performance is good, but here it falls behind the OLED. Also due to it's local dimming algorythms that tried to remove halos where possible, it may supress some detail. But since you don't watch much high-fidelity content from what it seems, this might not be an issue for you.

The LG C1 OLED cannot get as bright (750 nits in HDR, 400 nits in SDR), but it's still bright enough for most room during daytime. I just wouldn't put one opposed to a window. As a matter of fact i run my C9 at 150 nits (SDR) all the time and don't have any problems with it not being bright enough even at daytime. Because of it's deeper blacks and pixel level dimming, it can deliver a much more detailed HDR experience in a light controlled room (nighttime, curtains, etc...). Also, due to OLED's inherently instant response times, this will also be a much more responsive gaming TV than the QN90A.

I'd suggest reading through these two reviews before making your decision:

Samsung QN90A QLED Review (QN50QN90AAFXZA, QN55QN90AAFXZA, QN65QN90AAFXZA, QN75QN90AAFXZA, QN85QN90AAFXZA) - RTINGS.com

LG C1 OLED Review (OLED48C1PUB, OLED55C1PUB, OLED65C1PUB, OLED77C1PUB, OLED83C1PUA) - RTINGS.com

One important note about brightness: Due to our eyes constantly adjusting to brightness, the difference between the two TV's will be smaller than you'd think when looking at the nits of the two TVs. Our eyes perceive brightness in a logorythmic manner, which means a value of 1000 nits will not look twice as bright as 500 nits to us. In reality the difference is smaller.

About burn-in:

OLED burn-in normally is not an issue anymore. Rtings.com did a long-term test with the older LG C7 OLED models. The result basically was that it's not a problem when you have mixed content. And with each generation of TV's more feature were introduced to fight the risk of burn-in. If you want to read more about it, here is the link to the results: Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs - RTINGS.com

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.