HI I REALLY NEED HELP

Jason Elijah
Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
Just now, Jason Elijah said:

should i stick w wireless (5g) or should i stick with ethernet??

FYI, 5G the mobile internet protocol ≠ 5GHz band on wifi, in case youre wondering.

And to answer that, ethernet is way more consistent than wireless 99.9999% of the time so if you can route wired through internet on your device, use it.

My modem have 2 networks 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

i just bought an ethernet cat7 cable half an hour ago and plugged it into my pc.

it worked...sorta, my ethernet cable is only connected to the 2.4ghz and i cant switch to the 5ghz one. 

as u can see in the image i uploaded, my wifi connection is connected to my 5g network but my ethernet is connected to my 2.4ghz ones.

can some1 teach me how to change the ether2 connecttion to my 5ghz one

image.thumb.png.104b48f35f0793ae9e01c77b31374cd1.png

Edited by Jason Elijah

Ethernet cable connections won't connect to wifi connections. You should be connected to your network if you see blinking status LEDs. Check the command prompt or powershell, type in "ipconfig" and see if you have an IP address.

Even though your modem has "2 networks" they both end up routing you to the same network at the end, think of 2.4ghz network as a wireless ethernet cable that is better for longer distances but not as fast. The 5ghz network is like a wireless ethernet cable that is very fast but only for a short distance.

Lastly, your ethernet cable should be the "fastest" as it doesn't have to travel over the air and through walls etc...

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Ethernet cable connections won't connect to wifi connections. You should be connected to your network if you see blinking status LEDs. Check the command prompt or powershell, type in "ipconfig" and see if you have an IP address.

Even though your modem has "2 networks" they both end up routing you to the same network at the end, think of 2.4ghz network as a wireless ethernet cable that is better for longer distances but not as fast. The 5ghz network is like a wireless ethernet cable that is very fast but only for a short distance.

Lastly, your ethernet cable should be the "fastest" as it doesn't have to travel over the air and through walls etc...

hi im reallt sorry, im not really very well versed in tech terms can u explain to me again? i updated my topic to include a image. im sorry to keep bothering u sir

hi im reallt sorry, im not really very well versed in tech terms can u explain to me again? i updated my topic to include a image. im sorry to keep bothering u sir

The text under Ethernet 2 says 2.5Gbps. That doesn't mean it's connected to your 2.4GHz WiFi band. It means it's a 2.5Gbps link. There's different speeds of Ethernet: 100Mbps, 1Gbps, 2.5Gbps, 10Gbps, 25Gbps, etc. You have 2.5Gbps. That's all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Go to the start button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Right-click it and select powershell or command prompt.

image.png.580e7ed140cfd2a6761b997693e3b918.png

From here type in "ipconfig" without the quotes and press ENTER

image.png.b29cefda3840c121fe8f905e86d155ce.png

The only reason I blanked my connections out is to prevent confusion as yours will likely be different.

4 minutes ago, Jason Elijah said:

Your modem actually creates 3 (local) networks: a 2.4GHz wireless, a 5GHz wireless and a wired Ethernet/LAN. Your modem usually also merges the three networks, so devices on the wireless networks can see each other as well as the devices on the wired network (on some modems this can be turned off if you don't want devices to see each other). 

The 2.5GbE your screenshot is showing is just the speed of the wired connection and has nothing to do with the wireless networks. Everything should be working fine. Are you seeing any issues?

Just now, Alvin853 said:

Your modem actually creates 3 (local) networks: a 2.4GHz wireless, a 5GHz wireless and a wired Ethernet/LAN. Your modem usually also merges the three networks, so devices on the wireless networks can see each other as well as the devices on the wired network (on some modems this can be turned off if you don't want devices to see each other). 

The 2.5GbE your screenshot is showing is just the speed of the wired connection and has nothing to do with the wireless networks. Everything should be working fine. Are you seeing any issues?

so does that mean im running at 2.4ghz? or 5ghz?

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

the only issue i can see is on my ethernet, im running at 100mps but on my wifi im running on 500mps, so im confused what speed am i running on exactly?

2 minutes ago, Jason Elijah said:

Neither. That's wireless. Ethernet is wired. The two have nothing to do with each other.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Jason Elijah said:

Neither, 2.4GHz or 5GHz are wireless networks, your ethernet is a wired connection using a cable. The wired connection should be running at 2.5Gbps, so that would be faster than any of the wireless connections.

1 minute ago, Jason Elijah said:

the only issue i can see is on my ethernet, im running at 100mps but on my wifi im running on 500mps, so im confused what speed am i running on exactly?

How do you know your ethernet is running at 100mbps? It says 2.5Gbps on your screenshot.

1 minute ago, Jason Elijah said:

Depends what your modem/router can handle. Your pc can support up to 2.5gbps but if your router can only handle 100mb then you'll be limited to that.

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Neither. That's wireless. Ethernet is wired. The two have nothing to do with each other.

OOOH I SEE then may i ask base on what u see, should i stick w wireless (5g) or should i stick with ethernet??

should i stick w wireless (5g) or should i stick with ethernet??

FYI, 5G the mobile internet protocol ≠ 5GHz band on wifi, in case youre wondering.

And to answer that, ethernet is way more consistent than wireless 99.9999% of the time so if you can route wired through internet on your device, use it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

OOOH I SEE then may i ask base on what u see, should i stick w wireless (5g) or should i stick with ethernet??

Ethernet can theoretically be faster. Wireless is pretty much limited to around 1.6Gbps currently (with WiFi 6), but Ethernet can hit 25Gpbs or higher. Though, in your case you're not going to be able to push either high enough to make much of a difference.

Ethernet is also has less latency and packet loss. If you're playing a lot of online multiplayer games, that will be very important. If you just need an internet connection in general, either is fine.