Lian Li 215x and Noctua NH-D15

aliasdred
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

The variance of the case is likely going to be way less than 1mm, but the variance in the air cooler may not be due to the way heat pipes are made.  The 165mm claim of the cooler may be a “can’t be more than” measurement though in which case there is a decent chance that the particular cooler you buy could be a lot less than 165mm.  I would say the fit will need to be checked and it’s gonna be pretty close, but it probably will work.  If it was a no-name brand that “probably” would be more of a “might” but noctua is a long term brand so unless they’ve changed their manufacturing process or are farming cooler pipe filling to other makers I doubt it will be a problem.

Hi,
the title is pretty much the post and question I need answered.

My CPU AIO died and almost took the CPU with it. So I decided to go the whoosh(aircoolers) way of cooling rather than sploosh(AIO).

My case is a Lian Li 215x. The listed CPU clearance is written as 166mm.

Noctua lists the maximum height of NH-D15 as 165mm.

I don't mind the RAM clearance cuz that I can solve with cooler/fan orientation.

Will it fit properly? Is it too close to call without checking? Or is it definitely not gonna fit?

Attaching the CASE Manual if that helps anyone answer the question better.

Thanks in Advance 🙂

G50.LAN20.215.pdf

1 hour ago, aliasdred said:

Hi,
the title is pretty much the post and question I need answered.

My CPU AIO died and almost took the CPU with it. So I decided to go the whoosh(aircoolers) way of cooling rather than sploosh(AIO).

My case is a Lian Li 215x. The listed CPU clearance is written as 166mm.

Noctua lists the maximum height of NH-D15 as 165mm.

I don't mind the RAM clearance cuz that I can solve with cooler/fan orientation.

Will it fit properly? Is it too close to call without checking? Or is it definitely not gonna fit?

Well 166 >165, so on paper yes. But you want proof it fits. 

PCPP is a great tool for that

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/YCH8TW#h=30543,261910

Both of the builds listed are running without the front fan at all, as the ram is too tall for the "stock" 165mm height. So you could run it, but you'd have to ditch the front fan (which at that point you're just buying a D15S)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

The variance of the case is likely going to be way less than 1mm, but the variance in the air cooler may not be due to the way heat pipes are made.  The 165mm claim of the cooler may be a “can’t be more than” measurement though in which case there is a decent chance that the particular cooler you buy could be a lot less than 165mm.  I would say the fit will need to be checked and it’s gonna be pretty close, but it probably will work.  If it was a no-name brand that “probably” would be more of a “might” but noctua is a long term brand so unless they’ve changed their manufacturing process or are farming cooler pipe filling to other makers I doubt it will be a problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Well 166 >165, so on paper yes. But you want proof it fits. 

PCPP is a great tool for that

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/YCH8TW#h=30543,261910

Both of the builds listed are running without the front fan at all, as the ram is too tall for the "stock" 165mm height. So oyu could run it, but you'd have to ditch the front fan (which at that point you're just buying a D15S)

Thanks bruv for that link.
I actually tried to find images/builds like that but found none via google search. Yous link actually lessened my worries by a lot. 🙂