Around same FPS after upgrading 2080 Ti to 3080 Ti?

Jbonnett

Hi all,

In Modern Warfare: Multiplayer, I pretty much get the same FPS as what I did with my 2080 TI before upgrading to the 3080 TI.

I am using the exact same settings and I doubt I have a CPU bottleneck these are my specs:
CPU: 5960X (overclocked to 4.6Ghz)

RAM: 2900Mhz (If I remember rightly, also may seem like an odd number, but the memory controller in my CPU is weak and can't handle the full 3000Mhz) Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB

Motherboard: Rampage V extreme

I'm playing on max settings apart from a tad lower settings in shadows, I try to maximise my FPS whilst getting the best picture quality.

I have 3 * 1440p 165Hz monitors, only one is used for the game though.
I get around 140FPS with these settings though it fluctuate by around 20FPS in either direction.

Another note is that in the main menu, though I can get way more FPS, I limit my FPS to 60. When I wiggle my mouse though it drops to 40, bit weird. See video (please ignore the sound, it is my AC!).

video0.mov

Thanks for any help,
Jamie

9 minutes ago, Jbonnett said:

I doubt I have a CPU bottleneck

intel's 5960x is pretty old so i wouldnt be too surprised, especially given warfare is a CPU heavy game (from what i've heard)

check individual cpu thread usage instead of overall

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

intel's 5960x is pretty old so i wouldnt be too surprised, especially given warfare is a CPU heavy game (from what i've heard)

I was really confused because I thought he meant a 5950X...

Try enabling DSR and use 2-4x your native resolution; see if that helps. If you haven't used DSR before, after enabling DSR, you'll have to change your resolution.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

27 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

You're forgetting that is it pretty heavily overclocked (it's about a 50% overclock) and only uses about 30% of my CPU.

5 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

Try enabling DSR and use 2-4x your native resolution; see if that helps.

It's not the graphics settings that I am getting at here...

2 minutes ago, Jbonnett said:

You're forgetting that is it pretty heavily overclocked and only uses about 50% of my CPU.

Pretty normal modern warfare is a 8 thread game so anything else it doesn't use. If ANY core is at 90-100% you are basically at your limit.

Not a surprise as even with top of the line new cpu's it maxes out at 170-180fps.

I mean another easy way to see if you are cpu bottlenecked is to check gpu usage. If it is not at 100% then there you have it.

Either way 140fps is still plenty and you can't realistically expect more from a non esports game.

5 minutes ago, Jbonnett said:

You're forgetting that is it pretty heavily overclocked and only uses about 50% of my CPU.

my overall CPU usage is only 35% while one of my thread usage is 90%+, so there's my bottleneck

Spoiler

image.png.52cfa166b3b1913101fad9f41c52b8b6.png

not many games scales great over 8 cores

i've only seen 4 core cpu hit all 4 cores at 100%, and that's a CPU with no HT

i believe HT cpu wouldnt hit 100% usage due to how scheduling works and what not

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Jbonnett said:

You're forgetting that is it pretty heavily overclocked.

The idea is to rule out a CPU bottleneck, so you can try forcing the game to use more GPU. Your CPU is 7 years old.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Pretty normal modern warfare is a 8 thread game so anything else it doesn't use. If ANY core is at 90-100% you are basically at your limit.

Not a surprise as even with top of the line new cpu's it maxes out at 170-180fps.

I mean another easy way to see if you are cpu bottlenecked is to check gpu usage. If it is not at 100% then there you have it.

Either way 140fps is still plenty and you can't realistically expect more from a non esports game.

I mean the GPU is at 15%, though I 100% doubt that is caused by a bottleneck even if there is one.
My GPU gets to 100% when running a Time Spy benchmark, so I just don't think the game utilises the GPU that much.

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

my overall CPU usage is only 35% while one of my thread usage is 90%+, so there's my bottleneck

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.52cfa166b3b1913101fad9f41c52b8b6.png

not many games scales great over 8 cores

i've only seen 4 core cpu hit all 4 cores at 100%, and that's a CPU with no HT

i believe HT cpu wouldnt hit 100% usage due to how scheduling works and what not

Modern Warfare is one of the only games that scales awesomely across cores. Though I will check now and comment again. 

1 minute ago, Jbonnett said:

I mean the GPU is at 15%, though I 100% doubt that is caused by a bottleneck even if there is one.
My GPU gets to 100% when running a Time Spy benchmark, so I just don't think the game utilises the GPU that much.

Modern Warfare is one of the only games that scales awesomely across cores. Though I will check now and comment again. 

I mean that flat out points to a bottleneck. This literally means the gpu cannot feed the gpu enough data. Timespy is at 100% because it is an extremely light cpu load.

Also check for cores running at a locked 50% consistently I've seen windows do this before where they split the load of one core onto 2 but lock it to 50% usage.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean that flat out points to a bottleneck. This literally means the gpu cannot feed the gpu enough data. Timespy is at 100% because it is an extremely light cpu load.

Also check for cores running at a locked 50% consistently I've seen windows do this before where they split the load of one core onto 2 but lock it to 50% usage.

I think you missed what I was saying there, 140FPS at 15% on MAX settings. There wouldn't be much difference, as I am pretty sure the difference between the GPUs at this point is like 30FPS without any problems. I mean I really can't see the game running at 260FPS at 100% providing scaling is relative!

I think you missed what I was saying there, 140FPS at 15% on MAX settings. There wouldn't be much difference, as I am pretty sure the difference between the GPUs at this point is like 30FPS without any problems.

The game is not too graphically demanding but it is NOT that easy to run.

At what resolution?

Did you DDU your old drivers and install new ones (yes I know they are supposed to work out of the box but doesn't hurt).

I mean you really do have a cpu bottleneck. Your cpu at that speed is pretty much a ryzen 3600x in performance and that is the framerate those cap out around as that is how far their single core performance can carry them.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The game is not too graphically demanding but it is NOT that easy to run.

At what resolution?

Did you DDU your old drivers and install new ones (yes I know they are supposed to work out of the box but doesn't hurt).

I mean you really do have a cpu bottleneck. Your cpu at that speed is pretty much a ryzen 3600x in performance and that is the framerate those cap out around as that is how far their single core performance can carry them.

1440p, no I haven't DDU'd yet. Lucky I purchased a 5950X!
Btw my cores are at 55% too (while in a game), the 100% was when I first started my PC:image.png.0d33ae2feda3aa5c766832e3ad8efdc9.png

image.png.a55ee19c1e4c0c0da12dec9df600e862.png
Also Ignore the clock speeds it is reporting wrong due to being on the 125 strap.

Just now, Jbonnett said:

1440p, no I haven't DDU'd yet. Lucky I purchased a 5950X!

Yeah that is oddly low gpu usage probably a driver issue then or a misreport. What are you using for monitoring the usage? If it is task manager that is wildly inaccurate most of the time and I advise gpu-z or msi afterburner always.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah that is oddly low gpu usage probably a driver issue then or a misreport. What are you using for monitoring the usage? If it is task manager that is wildly inaccurate most of the time and I advise gpu-z or msi afterburner always.

image.thumb.png.5d31bacd6da81798377f720fffe72325.pngI thought I would screenshot for you, also I am tabbed into the game whilst the screenshot was taken... It says the same in NZXT CAM to be fair.

image.thumb.png.5d31bacd6da81798377f720fffe72325.pngI thought I would screenshot for you:

I just said task manager is wildly inaccurate for gpu usage monitoring.

Just now, jaslion said:

I added that ti says the same in CAM.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

image.thumb.png.c66e949c3077ac92d29caab16aa1714a.png

Lol maybe not, and yes I am still tabbed in!

image.thumb.png.c66e949c3077ac92d29caab16aa1714a.png

Lol maybe not, and yes I am still tabbed in!

That is cam. Cam uses windows task manager data. Use either of the programs I recommended.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That is cam. Cam uses windows task manager data. Use either of the programs I recommended.

I can't see the ones you recommended? (sorry GPUz). THough neither of them programs actually tell you load, only the frequency...

30 minutes ago, Jbonnett said:

I can't see the ones you recommended? (sorry GPUz)

Sorry I am being dumb this morning! So hitting the power cap at 14% (sorry 85%) lol (Looks like task manager was accurate).
Looks like I'll be undervolting soon!

image.thumb.png.0a894a5826f2e9bc7f09764d5146c579.png