5950x Low Cinebench Scores + High temp With PBO, Please Help!

Hey guys. I just upgraded to a 5950x from a 3700x for my work on my home PC.

However, I am having some problems regarding my CPU temps and actual performance.

First of all, without PBO enabled, I get acceptable temp and noise levels, however the cinebench scores are terribly bad

Getting about 65C CPU (24C ambient) 3800MHz 1.1Volt peak while cinebenching, which seems acceptable but the score is only 23000

So, I thought it must be due to PBO being off that my cpu is low temp+low performance so I turn it on

And this is where it started to confuse me.

I got about 80C CPU (24C ambient) 3726MHz 1.261Volt peak while cinebenching and an even lower score of 22000

So Higher temps and higher voltage but even lower clock speeds and score. 

And it gets worse.

So I run cinebench for about 10 minutes and the VRM temps start hitting 115C after about 4minutes and the cpu throttles to a whopping 500Mhz

So after I found this problem, I start to do things manually.

I put in 4200MHz and 1.1Volt limit on Ryzen Master and retried the test.

And BOOM, I get 70C CPU (24C ambient) 4199MHz 1.1Volt peak and a score of 27000 which is an actually acceptable score comparing to others however still a bit lower.

However, when I run a 10 minute throttling test, the VRM again reaches 115C but takes longer to do so this time and the CPU ends up throttling to 500Mhz again which is very sad.

So, my question is, looking at this which component might be the problem? I have no clue what to try anymore and is driving me crazy. My best guess is my Motherboard, since I remember reading bad reviews about its VRM.

I hope you guys can help I reaaaally want to fix this ASAP to start working again. If I need to swap out any components I am willing to do so.

Here are my PC Specs

Case NZXT h510 Elite with all fan slots populated

CPU Ryzen 9 5950X 

CPU Cooler Kraken M22 1 Fan AIO

RAM 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR4 3200 GSkill Overclocked to 3600)

Motherboard MSI X570-A Pro (Newest Bios)

GPU MSI RTX3090 Gaming X Trio

PSU Cooler Master V850 GOLD 850W

Windows 10 Pro Build 19042

5.PNG

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Ah... that's hot. That's real hot.

What temps are the VRMs rated to at what voltage? I'm assuming it worked fine with the 3700x?

I have no clue how to check the ratings for the VRM, if you mean the ratings on the VRM tier list it says D rank for my motherboard which is pretty low on that list.

I didn't notice much problems with the 3700x, but it also had pretty low scores compared to other people but was at an acceptable level.  

15 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

Hey guys. I just upgraded to a 5950x from a 3700x for my work on my home PC.

However, I am having some problems regarding my CPU temps and actual performance.

First of all, without PBO enabled, I get acceptable temp and noise levels, however the cinebench scores are terribly bad

Getting about 65C CPU (24C ambient) 3800MHz 1.1Volt peak while cinebenching, which seems acceptable but the score is only 23000

So, I thought it must be due to PBO being off that my cpu is low temp+low performance so I turn it on

And this is where it started to confuse me.

I got about 80C CPU (24C ambient) 3726MHz 1.261Volt peak while cinebenching and an even lower score of 22000

So Higher temps and higher voltage but even lower clock speeds and score. 

And it gets worse.

So I run cinebench for about 10 minutes and the VRM temps start hitting 115C after about 4minutes and the cpu throttles to a whopping 500Mhz

So after I found this problem, I start to do things manually.

I put in 4200MHz and 1.1Volt limit on Ryzen Master and retried the test.

And BOOM, I get 70C CPU (24C ambient) 4199MHz 1.1Volt peak and a score of 27000 which is an actually acceptable score comparing to others however still a bit lower.

However, when I run a 10 minute throttling test, the VRM again reaches 115C but takes longer to do so this time and the CPU ends up throttling to 500Mhz again which is very sad.

So, my question is, looking at this which component might be the problem? I have no clue what to try anymore and is driving me crazy. My best guess is my Motherboard, since I remember reading bad reviews about its VRM.

I hope you guys can help I reaaaally want to fix this ASAP to start working again. If I need to swap out any components I am willing to do so.

Here are my PC Specs

Case NZXT h510 Elite with all fan slots populated

CPU Ryzen 9 5950X 

CPU Cooler Kraken M22 1 Fan AIO

RAM 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR4 3200 GSkill Overclocked to 3600)

Motherboard MSI X570-A Pro (Newest Bios)

GPU MSI RTX3090 Gaming X Trio

PSU Cooler Master V850 GOLD 850W

Windows 10 Pro Build 19042

5.PNG

That board is not the the best i am afraid and is known to have VRM cooling issues, how is your case airflow? Some people have solved the issue by adding an extra fan pointing directly at the VRMs.

They did fix the VRM cooling issue on the newer MSI x570 boards.

Spoiler

PBO.png

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

I saw your cooler-a 1 fan aio. Consider upgrading that to a 2 or 3 fan aio, if performance still isn't that good, maybe you haven't installed drivers. Second solution, get a better mobo. Use the tier list.

I may still have a laptop, but I'd say I know a good amount about PC stuff.

Just now, Loxa said:

That board is not the the best i am afraid and is known to have VRM cooling issues, how is your case airflow? Some people have solved the issue by adding an extra fan pointing directly at the VRMs.

I think the case airflow should be okay. My case h510 elite isn't the best for thermals but shouldn't be completely terrible. If I need to add a new fan just dangling around inside to cool the VRMs I would rather buy a better motherboard.

1 minute ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

I think the case airflow should be okay. My case h510 elite isn't the best for thermals but shouldn't be completely terrible. If I need to add a new fan just dangling around inside to cool the VRMs I would rather buy a better motherboard.

They did fix the VRM cooling issues on the newer MSI x570 boards.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

8 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

Are you using all the fan ports on the mobo?  There are some fairly cheap gooseneck fans that plug directly into mobo ports that can be pointed directly at components.  Of course it requires a port to be in a convenient position to cool the VRM and I don’t know where they are on that board.  There are also ones that will plug into a USB port if there happens to be one of those available

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Loxa said:

They did fix the VRM cooling issues on the newer MSI x570 boards.

Thank you. Looking at the graph you posted, it seems pretty consistent with my results for the x570 a pro. I am pretty convinced that this is a mobo issue now. Thank you all for the help

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Are you using all the fan ports on the mobo?  There are some fairly cheap gooseneck fans that plug directly into mobo ports that can be pointed directly at components.  Of course it requires a port to be in a convenient position to cool the VRM and I don’t know where they are on that board.  

Thank you for the suggestion. Mobo ports are still available, but I don't really feel comfortable with a motherboard that can't cool itself. I will order a new motherboard.

Temps are going to be not great regardless. The H510 Elite is pretty terrible thermally, and a 120mm rad is worse than a single tower air cooler. It's completely incompetent to keep up with a 5950X. You should get a better cooler immediately before you bother trying anything else. Otherwise, you're mostly just wasting your time trying to solve problems that may not even be problems when the CPU is properly cooled.

VRMs spiking that high are a huge problem. It may be the board, but a better airflow case would probably fix that even with the substandard VRMs on that board. In other words, you've got compounding problems here. Hot CPU, with substandard cooling, in a thermally constrained case, and a motherboard with poor VRMs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Temps are going to be not great regardless. The H510 Elite is pretty terrible thermally, and a 120mm rad is worse than a single tower air cooler. It's completely incompetent to keep up with a 5950X. You should get a better cooler immediately before you bother trying anything else. Otherwise, you're mostly just wasting your time trying to solve problems that may not even be problems when the CPU is properly cooled.

VRMs spiking that high are a huge problem. It may be the board, but a better airflow case would probably fix that even with the substandard VRMs on that board. In other words, you've got compounding problems here. Hot CPU, with substandard cooling, in a thermally constrained case, and a motherboard with poor VRMs.

Thanks Chris. I didn't know that the 1 fan AIOs were actually worse than standard ones. I guess I have to just do a whole new build with a new case... Thank you

7 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

Thank you for the suggestion. Mobo ports are still available, but I don't really feel comfortable with a motherboard that can't cool itself. I will order a new motherboard.

Also works.  Motherboard tier list may be useful for that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

40 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

My case h510 elite isn't the best for thermals but shouldn't be completely terrible.

Yes it should be, it's known for terrible thermals above all else. Gamers Nexus made a video on it called "Making things worse, Forgetting the Basics - NZXT H510 Elite Review"

It's in the bottom 5 & 6 for all cases they've reviewed from that time period of release.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

34 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

Thanks Chris. I didn't know that the 1 fan AIOs were actually worse than standard ones. I guess I have to just do a whole new build with a new case... Thank you

they aren't worse, but zen 3 runs far hotter than prior zen CPUs and so you need the best of coolers.

A 240 rad AIO is just about good enough for a 5800x, so you'll be needing a 360 rad at least for the 5950x

14 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Yes it should be, it's known for terrible thermals above all else. Gamers Nexus made a video on it called "Making things worse, Forgetting the Basics - NZXT H510 Elite Review"

It's in the bottom 5 & 6 for all cases they've reviewed from that time period of release.

4 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

they aren't worse, but zen 3 runs far hotter than prior zen CPUs and so you need the best of coolers.

A 240 rad AIO is just about good enough for a 5800x, so you'll be needing a 360 rad at least for the 5950x

Thank you guys. I have actually looked at that review already, but on my past setup I wasnt running into issues, so I thought it wouldnt be too too big of a problem for me. I just ordered the Crosshair VIII Hero since it was the highest rank on the tier list and it will ship to me within the day. To go with this new mobo, do you guys have any suggestions for a case and an Aio? I heard that  the Meshify 2 is a good choice, however I have no clue which Aios are the good ones. I only got the nzxt ones because of the looks lol. If you could suggest anything it would be great.

16 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

I just ordered the Crosshair VIII Hero and it will ship to me within the day.

Seems WAYYY overkill, I wouldn't recommend spending $550 USD on a dead socket. A $250-$350 board would've been fine. 😬

16 minutes ago, HelpMyVRMPlz said:

do you guys have any suggestions for a case and an Aio? I heard that  the Meshify 2 is a good choice, however I have no clue which Aios are the good ones.

The Meshify 2 is a good case, but something like a P360A or P400A Digital may be better suited for cheaper.

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO's are the best on Ryzen at the moment, something like the 280 or 360 would work well. 👍

Arctic Liquid Freezer II Cooler Review: New Best CPU Thermals on AMD Ryzen - YouTube

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

6 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Seems WAYYY overkill, I wouldn't recommend spending $550 USD on a dead socket. A $250-$350 board would've been fine. 😬

The Meshify 2 is a good case, but doesn't come with very good fans, so something like a P360A or P400A Digital may be better suited.

The Arctic LiquidFreezer II AIO's are the best on Ryzen at the moment, something like the 280 or 360 would work well. 👍

Arctic Liquid Freezer II Cooler Review: New Best CPU Thermals on AMD Ryzen - YouTube

Im just so stressed I just want to spend the money and feel like I will have less problems. Also thank you for the part suggestion. P360A and P400A Digital is not my taste in my looks department but will def buy one of those Arctic Liquid aios.