Fan Splitters are not missing a pin

Go to solution Solved by NorKris,

we know that:

1 pin is ground

2 12v
3 RPM

4 PWM

so the picureu guys are using of the wires are wrong, anyways use tool of some kind to bend this pin down (pin nr 3)

image.png.8cb1e6f8d5b6d73db53245702db9aea7.png

Problem solved

Hi folks I have a question about Fan Splitters.

It seems to me the common way to make a Y splitter, would be a 4 Pin male to 4 Pin female and 3 Pin female, but I have a set of sleeved cables that  have 4 Pin Male and 4 Pin Female x2

(I have a 3 way splitter too thats the same way).

My question is, would there be any clash between PWM signals seen as they’re not missing that pin? Has anyone used cables like this? They are Cable Shack branded and cost me quite a bit, I just need to know so i don't wreck anything haha.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 6/6/2021 at 11:32 AM, Zagna said:

image.png.49ac5f190673921f1b8ae57a9ee843e7.png

It's cheaper to use one kind of connector and just wire it like that.

It has all the cable connected, sorry for the posts still new to this

image.jpg

27 minutes ago, KyanBD said:

It has all the cable connected, sorry for the posts still new to this

image.jpg

how about the other connector?

theoretically it shouldn;t matter too much, the only thing that could potentially have issues is the dual RPM signals getting send to the motherboard. that's usually the missing pin.

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

how about the other connector?

theoretically it shouldn;t matter too much, the only thing that could potentially have issues is the dual RPM signals getting send to the motherboard. that's usually the missing pin.

Yeah thats what i’m saying lol, well when i get them setup, and they’re  bugging out i’ll just snip the RPM pin lol

2 minutes ago, KyanBD said:

Yeah thats what i’m saying lol, well when i get them setup, and they’re  bugging out i’ll just snip the RPM pin lol

no i mean the end that ges in your motherboard. most likely only 7 wires actually go into that connector.

13 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

no i mean the end that ges in your motherboard. most likely only 7 wires actually go into that connector.

this is how its wired pretty much

4FFE03BB-4C69-411D-B997-09F1D2732E2E.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yes, multiple RPM signals can/will confuse the fan controller. I've had this problem before.

so what did you do? chop the pin off?

1 minute ago, KyanBD said:

Sorry fan controller? do you mean MB?

Test it individually and see if one connector doesnt report a RPM? If both do snip a pin off ig

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

3 minutes ago, KyanBD said:

Actually I had no idea what was going on and then by the time I figured it out I was using an entirely different computer. I just had really poorly reported fan speeds so I set the fans up to really slowly change speeds so they wouldn't fluctuate a lot. Ran like that for a long time with a Core2Duo system. It didn't cause harm to any hardware, just every few seconds I'd have 8,000 RPM then 1,000 RPM, then 300 RPM, then 1,500 RPM, etc. Depended on how the signals got mixed up and read I guess. I also had like 2 or 3 Y splitters chained up so I wasn't to smart back then!

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Actually I had no idea what was going on and then by the time I figured it out I was using an entirely different computer. I just had really poorly reported fan speeds so I set the fans up to really slowly change speeds so they wouldn't fluctuate a lot. Ran like that for a long time with a Core2Duo system. It didn't cause harm to any hardware, just every few seconds I'd have 8,000 RPM then 1,000 RPM, then 300 RPM, then 1,500 RPM, etc. Depended on how the signals got mixed up and read I guess. I also had like 2 or 3 Y splitters chained up so I wasn't to smart back then!

Hmm, good to know lol. This is all for build late this year or little after, this helps quite a bit

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How did you figure out that was the problem btw? seems like quite a specific problem

26 minutes ago, rafe_28 said:

Test it individually and see if one connector doesnt report a RPM? If both do snip a pin off ig

Hm thats a good idea.

31 minutes ago, KyanBD said:

How did you figure out that was the problem btw? seems like quite a specific problem

I bought some splitters that were made correctly for my new computer and realized what the problem had been with my old computer. It may have taken me 10 years but at least I figured it out eventually.

49 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I bought some splitters that were made correctly for my new computer and realized what the problem had been with my old computer. It may have taken me 10 years but at least I figured it out eventually.

Wow haha! Now I know; and hopefully a few others.

we know that:

1 pin is ground

2 12v
3 RPM

4 PWM

so the picureu guys are using of the wires are wrong, anyways use tool of some kind to bend this pin down (pin nr 3)

Problem solved

On 6/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, NorKris said:

we know that:

1 pin is ground

2 12v
3 RPM

4 PWM

Problem solved

Thanks! i figured it out, but yeah the pic was wrong, ground lol

So you just clipped it off now? Did the 2 signals cause problems? Probably.

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza