Hi,

i've got a 5900x with dark hero board

've already already tried different OC methods

Here are my tests so far :

1.3 voltage, curve optimiser + switch dark hero
Curve +pbo+ switch gives indeed the best results

That leads me to some questions.
When using OC per CCX :

- Do you need to put a voltage in core voltage override or leave it auto?
- Do you need to input a core ration or the CCX will override?
-how can I determine the best values for both ccx?
- what are the best limits settings for pbo?

Thanks again!

You're making life way too difficult for yourself, especially now that the curve optimizer exists. Ryzen since Zen 2 OCs very poorly, and it's generally not worth your time, especially since you're trading boost and the subsequent single core perf.

AMDs Precision Boost is actually very effective on its own, and can do almost always do better than you can with a manual all core OC. All it needs is power and thermal headroom to shoot to the moon.

As such, the best thing you can do is undervolt it. Undervolting Ryzen used to be a pain, though, because it needs such variable amounts of voltage depending on how hard it's working and how many cores are involved. That's where the curve optimizer comes in. Each step is a variable amount of voltage offset, which allows the chip to use more voltage when it actually needs it and less when it doesn't. That flexibility makes it highly stable at lower overall voltage, which then gives it more room to boost within power and thermal limits.

Long and short, just set PBO to manual, power limits to disabled, offset negative, and enter as many steps as you can stably handle, up to 30. You can also set this per CCX or per core, if you can't get to the full 30 all core. Once you get that done, and you're stable, go back and enter the power limits manually, since disabled still ironically works within the default PBO limits. You should tweak PPT (165-185W), TDC (115-125A), and EDC (150-170A). The chip can run exceptionally hot at the higher end, so you'll need really good cooling.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

You're making life way too difficult for yourself, especially now that the curve optimizer exists. Ryzen since Zen 2 OCs very poorly, and it's generally not worth your time, especially since you're trading boost and the subsequent single core perf.

AMDs Precision Boost is actually very effective on its own, and can do almost always do better than you can with a manual all core OC. All it needs is power and thermal headroom to shoot to the moon.

As such, the best thing you can do is undervolt it. Undervolting Ryzen used to be a pain, though, because it needs such variable amounts of voltage depending on how hard it's working and how many cores are involved. That's where the curve optimizer comes in. Each step is a variable amount of voltage offset, which allows the chip to use more voltage when it actually needs it and less when it doesn't. That flexibility makes it highly stable at lower overall voltage, which then gives it more room to boost within power and thermal limits.

Long and short, just set PBO to manual, power limits to disabled, offset negative, and enter as many steps as you can stably handle, up to 30. You can also set this per CCX or per core, if you can't get to the full 30 all core. Once you get that done, and you're stable, go back and enter the power limits manually, since disabled still ironically works within the default PBO limits. You should tweak PPT (165-185W), TDC (115-125A), and EDC (150-170A). The chip can run exceptionally hot at the higher end, so you'll need really good cooling.

I agree.Overclocking ryzen is really not worth it.PBO2 is the best way use.

@Chris Prattis it not  5900x zen3?correct me if I am wrong.

48 minutes ago, Shreyasb said:

I agree.Overclocking ryzen is really not worth it.PBO2 is the best way use.

@Chris Prattis it not  5900x zen3?correct me if I am wrong.

It is. I said *since* Zen 2. In other words, both Zen 2 and Zen 3 do not OC well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

It is. I said *since* Zen 2. In other words, both Zen 2 and Zen 3 do not OC well.

Totaly Agreed brother.Both Zen 2 and zen3 don't oc as well as Intel counterparts

• 2 weeks later...
Hello after letting go a bit, I tried an oc with PBO curve and the dark hero switch

Here are the parameters
voltage and auto core
Per ccx: 47/46 @ 1.22v
Switch amp 45
PBO Curve: -5 / -15 / -30
max cpu boost override: +100
LLC 3

I did not do an extensive stress test but here is the cinebench score in multi, ill game and see how it goes
In mono, I have 635 points.
Are these correct results?
For the temperatures it has max at 74c and on the desktop even if I know that it is not the most important between 38 and 43c with 27c ambient.
Thanks !

1.22v    47-46 per ccx .png