Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS 1st time, and questions.

Finally jumped back in after many many years of Windows only !

Wasn't interested in Vanilla Ubuntu, I first tried Manjaro but the installer made my life hell, and when I was finally able to install it, my second screen wouldn't work ... wasn't interested past this and didn't even tried to fix it past reinstalling the drivers and a restart !

Pop!_OS though, it worked 1st try, didn't have issues with the Nvidia drivers or screens (even showed my main screen as 75Hz right away!). The setup was done in a few hours (installing the apps, then moving my Steam library to an exfat partition for both my Windows and Linux install to see it, etc...).

Now, I'm just wondering, what are your go-to GNOME tweaks and mods ? I'm used to KDE (haven't looked into that for Pop!_OS), and just wanted to know what are good tweaks to have (Google didn't gave me the best results, some of the suggested stuff is old and doesn't work on 3.38 ! ).

I'm not sure I like the top bar and would love to be able to move it and mod it if possible (tried BottomBar, but all it does is move it to the bottom without any other options !)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Personally When I use GNOME I use the following, I however have always used GNOME under Fedora and Arch and don't know what PopOS! ships with by default.

And my go to theme

10 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

*snip*

Thanks ! I like GSconnect, the Sound one, and a few others. For the theme, I'm ok with the base theme, cursor, and and icons but I like theme you linked, might try it !

Found a few extensions I like ;

Dash to panel

Application Menu

Clipboard indicator

Screenshot tool

Gnome Tweak tool (not an extension, but usefull IMO, the link is for Ubuntu, but works on Pop!_OS)

It isn't an extension, but I really like ulauncher since it is similar to  spotlight search/Alfred on Macs, but three extensions that I like are 

Gravatar 

Lock-Keys (I only use this on my laptop since it doesn't have an indicator for when the num lock is on/off

Coverflow Alt-Tab 

I am using 20.10, but they all should worked on 20.04  

On 6/3/2021 at 3:57 AM, wkdpaul said:

I first tried Manjaro but the installer made my life hell, and when I was finally able to install it, my second screen wouldn't work ...

two questions

1. what made your life hell about the installer?

2. did you try installing nvidia drivers and enabling the second display? (just like you would on windows :p)

14 minutes ago, rikupone said:

two questions

1. what made your life hell about the installer?

2. did you try installing nvidia drivers and enabling the second display? (just like you would on windows :p)

1. The installer is shit when it comes to drives partitioning, I fixed that by booting into a lubuntu live OS with gparted and fixing the GPT partition and other stuff related to that.

2. Yes, the drivers were installed correctly, like I said, I tried reinstalling the drivers but it wouldn't work

I'm not interested in an OS that I have to diagnose just so that it works.. I do that all day long at work, if I have to do more diagnostics, I'll just do it at work while I'm paid, not on my time off.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

1. The installer is shit when it comes to drives partitioning, I fixed that by booting into a lubuntu live OS with gparted and fixing the GPT partition and other stuff related to that.

2. Yes, the drivers were installed correctly, like I said, I tried reinstalling the drivers but it wouldn't work

I'm not interested in an OS that I have to diagnose just so that it works.. I do that all day long at work, if I have to do more diagnostics, I'll just do it at work while I'm paid, not on my time off.

manjaro comes with gnome disk utility and you can install gparted on the live usb, you didn't have to use lubuntu.

and about the drivers, that's weird, i have a nvidia card and it works fine for me. wonder what the issue was.

4 minutes ago, rikupone said:

manjaro comes with gnome disk utility and you can install gparted on the live usb, you didn't have to use lubuntu.

I was weary of Manjaro and didn't trust it, if the installer can't properly format the drive, I'm not gonna try and mess with it, I have a lubuntu live OS that I use all the time, so it was a lot more reassuring for me to fall back on it and make sure everything was done properly.

7 minutes ago, rikupone said:

and about the drivers, that's weird, i have a nvidia card and it works fine for me. wonder what the issue was.

I was done at that point really, BTW, my monitor was detecting the connection and wasn't in sleep mode, I thought maybe it was something on the monitor, so I even did a reset from the OSD and then unplugged it for 5 minutes, but nothing, that's why I went with Pop!_OS right after, and that was 100% painless.

That stuff shouldn't happen, and it's probably why people complain about Linux (a normal person would've stopped after the installer failed once or twice, I had to go at it 4 times).