Low 5950x CPU performance in Cinebench R23 even at default settings compared to other numbers shared online,

Hello All,

I am wondering what I am doing wrong to get low cinebench23 scores, bad luck with the CPU hardware lottery, or some mistakes I did in assembly? I have chosen the best hardware for performance I think and my scores are not coming close to even the lowest scores at default for others.

21755 default bios optimized settings RAM 2120Mhz, 69C CPU, 3.67GHz CPU
        Cinebench23-Default-BIOS-optimized-setti

Cinebench23-Default-BIOS-optimized-Setti

after the test finished. temps quickly dropped

21688 default bios optimized settings + XMP RAM XMP 3600Mhz, 70C CPU, 3.65GHz CPU
        Cinebench23-Default-BIOS-optimized-Setti

22910 with PBO advanced, motherboard limit,+XMP RAM XMP 3600Mhz, 90C CPU, 3.95Ghz CPU
        Cinebench23-PBO-motherboard-xmp-22910-20

screenshot of Hwinfo temps and freq with score
        Cinebench23-PBO-motherboard-xmp-22910-fi

screenshot of Hwinfo quick temp drop after test finished

22836 with PBO on default RAM 3900Mhz, 86C CPU, 3.89Ghz CPU
        Cinebench23-PBO-default-RAM-3900-22836.p

The ambient temperature is 30c but I don't think any thermal throttling is happening, PBO overclock is hitting 90c with the arctic liquid freezer 2-420mm AIO but performance hasnt increased a lot, I think the temperatures should have been lower than this or should not be hitting the high temps so quickly. (the AIO is mounted in offset mode)
I will be requesting Arctic for correct size screws and the new rev4 mounting brackets but still the default setting CPU performance score should have been better. I could also look at removing and re-attaching the cooler on the CPU and change to arctic MX5 or Thermal Grizzly options

Requesting guidance on why even my default CPU performance is so low and what I can try to get a comparable normal score like others. should my graphics card choice be making a difference in cinebench score as it is quite weak and not really a gaming card?

AMD 5950x

Gigabyte Aorus B550 Master

Corsair LPX 32GB*2 RAM 3600Mhz

Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 AIO 420mm : (offset mounted)

Fractal Design Meshify 2 case with 2*140mm intake fans

Samsung 980 pro 1TB

Corsair 620HZ PSU

detailed PC parts list is here
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kunalvaidya/saved/#view=z9b6D3

PS. This is my first post here and I apologize for any mistakes I make, please do let me know if the screenshots are not visible properly.

System Specs: AMD 5950x (CTR2.1RC5 overclock in windows, Motherboard default in Linux) | Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 420 mm AIO | Gigabyte B500 Master | P400 Quadro | (2x32GB) Corsair LPX 3600mhz CL18 | Fractal Design  Meshify 2 (white-clear)Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2 Toshiba 1TB HDDs860W Fractal Design Ion+ | Behringer Q502USB audio interface | Samson Q8x mic | 2x 27 inch 1080p monitor | Logitech MX master 1 mouse | TVS GOLD keyboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VKW9sX

Definitely low. I'm getting 21966 multicore on a 5900X. Granted that's with it undervolted via the PBO2 curve optimizer, but still.

I'd completely reset your BIOS (either through the BIOS or just clearing the CMOS). Then, go into the BIOS and just enable XMP for the RAM. Don't change anything else. Run R23 again to get your base score. See if that improves anything. It's possible with tinkering with stuff, you've got some settings out of whack. Let us know if the score is any better, and we can go from there.

Also, FWIW, make sure you close all your other running applications and background apps before running the benchmark. It's very possible that you have some background app that is negatively impacting your score.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

This is my guess,Motherboard might not have the capability to run 5950x to its full potential.May be vrm heating issue or something.

Your setting look alright to me.

26 minutes ago, Shreyasb said:

This is my guess,Motherboard might not have the capability to run 5950x to its full potential.May be vrm heating issue or something.

Your setting look alright to me.

Nope. Gigabyte b550 master should be more than enough.

My first move would be to uninstall all Gigabyte bloatware and install the newest chipset drivers from AMD. Then reset bios and put xmp back on. After that install Ryzen Master and try to do a manual oc with 1.3V and 4.3GHz first(on most reviews they got something like 1.32V and 4.6-4.7GHz).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

46 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Nope. Gigabyte b550 master should be more than enough.

My first move would be to uninstall all Gigabyte bloatware and install the newest chipset drivers from AMD. Then reset bios and put xmp back on. After that install Ryzen Master and try to do a manual oc with 1.3V and 4.3GHz first(on most reviews they got something like 1.32V and 4.6-4.7GHz).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

Nah. Don't bother with OCing. Zen 3 performs better with undervolting. I'm getting 4.6GHz all core on a 5900X just letting PBO and the curve optimizer do their thing, and I can still get 4.95GHz single core, whereas you'll lose that boost completely with an all core OC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Nah. Don't bother with OCing. Zen 3 performs better with undervolting. I'm getting 4.6GHz all core on a 5900X just letting PBO and the curve optimizer do their thing, and I can still get 4.95GHz single core, whereas you'll lose that boost completely with an all core OC.

I just think its easer to use manual oc than curve if you are a person who needs help with this kind of stuff. But feel free to post if there is a good tutorial for curve optimiser as that is a better method.

And also check if you are running an old bios as cpu cupport can be wacky with those beta 5000 versions.

Just now, Jeppes said:

I just think its easer to use manual oc than curve if you are a person who needs help with this kind of stuff. But feel free to post if there is a good tutorial for curve optimiser as that is a better method.

And also check if you are running an old bios as cpu cupport can be wacky with those beta 5000 versions.

If anything curve optimizer is far easier. In BIOS, set PBO to manual/advanced. Then power limits disable, offset direction negative, and enter in a number of steps from 1-30. Increase the steps until you're unstable or you hit the max. Done.

Thanks Chris Pratt  for the suggestions on BIOS reset and background apps,

I actually had first executed the tests with 3800Mhz RAM with PBO default (using Ryzen Master) and later when score was lower that other folks default config, I thought to start from scratch and tried again with BIOS reset and "load optimized settings."

will check on what else is starting on bootup and clean/kill them before running the test. I am starting only HWinfo64 and cinebench after bootup for test. But there might be some old programs and crud in my windows installation. This is an old windows installation that i cloned from my older PC and then am running on new PC as dual boot option with Linux. With time it must've got things in startup and background apps.  Good pointer on this.

After i get my default CPU performance sorted I will look for basic PBO, infinity fabric + RAM upgrade . but not too much 🙂 even the default computing power is not getting used to its capacity. just enough to satisfy the nerd in me that i did something more than default.

Hi Shreyasb B550 Aorus Master motherboard shares its VRM design with X570 extreme and its great power delivery is the reason i chose this board. The temps for VRM are getting upto 50c which is cool for their capability.  however maybe Gigabyte might be still perfecting its BIOS, I am running its latest available BIOS version F13j . (something strange happened. I looked at their website now to double check before posting but Gigabyte product page does not have any reference to F13 BIOS now and F12 is their latest BIOS version) Maybe they found something wrong and pulled it.

Thanks Jeppes for the tips on gigabyte software uninstallation and installing chip-set drivers downloaded from AMD site directly. I have installed all the gigabyte software (including chipset driver) they have for download on their site and this may be a bad decision that contributes to my weirdly low CPU performance.

System Specs: AMD 5950x (CTR2.1RC5 overclock in windows, Motherboard default in Linux) | Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 420 mm AIO | Gigabyte B500 Master | P400 Quadro | (2x32GB) Corsair LPX 3600mhz CL18 | Fractal Design  Meshify 2 (white-clear)Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2 Toshiba 1TB HDDs860W Fractal Design Ion+ | Behringer Q502USB audio interface | Samson Q8x mic | 2x 27 inch 1080p monitor | Logitech MX master 1 mouse | TVS GOLD keyboard

1 minute ago, kunalvaidya said:

Thanks Jeppes for the tips on gigabyte software uninstallation and installing chip-set drivers downloaded from AMD site directly. I have installed all the gigabyte software (including chipset driver) they have for download on their site and this may be a bad decision that contributes to my weirdly low CPU performance.

Could be the old windows installation too. MSI Dragon Center was just pure garbage so I tend to warn people off from all of it.

raised a support request with gigabyte asking about F13 BIOS version removal from their site.  low hopes of getting useful reply that isnt just filling with boilerplate guidance (as they cant really share internal info on innards of the BIOS and results with other users with beta BIOS)

11 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Could be the old windows installation too. MSI Dragon Center was just pure garbage so I tend to warn people off from all of it.

I will try the startup and program cleanup tomorrow and update here.

14 hours ago, kunalvaidya said:

Hi Shreyasb B550 Aorus Master motherboard shares its VRM design with X570 extreme and its great power delivery is the reason i chose this board. The temps for VRM are getting upto 50c which is cool for their capability.  however maybe Gigabyte might be still perfecting its BIOS, I am running its latest available BIOS version F13j . (something strange happened. I looked at their website now to double check before posting but Gigabyte product page does not have any reference to F13 BIOS now and F12 is their latest BIOS version) Maybe they found something wrong and pulled it.

Yes,I did check that your motherboard vrm is good (16 phase is enough to run any consumer cpu in its stock settings)but when I saw those voltage your picture I was doubtfull.And I agree that it might be bios issue which totally forgot to mention.Stupid me.

7 hours ago, Shreyasb said:

Yes,I did check that your motherboard vrm is good (16 phase is enough to run any consumer cpu in its stock settings)but when I saw those voltage your picture I was doubtfull.And I agree that it might be bios issue which totally forgot to mention.Stupid me.

Sorry i am not yet aware of the correct and safe voltage ranges, I have not modified anything manually and have tried 4 options of default, XMP, PBO, PBO motherboard limits.

which voltage setting in the pics, Are there any voltages that are higher than expected?

Although i am looking at understanding and correcting the CPU performance at default setting, later i might want to set basic overclock too. so this knowledge will be useful.

21 hours ago, kunalvaidya said:

raised a support request with gigabyte asking about F13 BIOS version removal from their site.  low hopes of getting useful reply that isnt just filling with boilerplate guidance (as they cant really share internal info on innards of the BIOS and results with other users with beta BIOS)

Gigabyte reply on BIOS question was not really useful, They said it is upto the user if they want to downgrade the BIOS and Q-flash provides a way to backup the existing (F13) bios for safety. But no recommendation on preferred BIOS or indications regarding the issues they found in F13 to remove the BIOS from downloads.

edit: checking it again now I see that F13h  version BIOS is available for download. They have backtracked from F13j version, no info on issues found. It appears that the BIOS version availability changes everyday 🙂

Edited by kunalvaidya
update that older BIOS is availalbe on gigabyte site