Portable Dac/Amp for DT 990 Pros (android)

Dreaper
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
14 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

So that should work then? Its about 150 and doesn't seem too huge.

yep its nnot too unwieldy. its is thick and does have a bit of heft. if you are worried about how portable it can be the hip dac is not a bad unit as well just weaker 

Hello 🙂 ,

I'm looking to get something that is portable-ish meaning something that won't be too bulky on a plane or a train it won't really be for just walking around so it doesn't have to be insanely small. Budget is max 160usd and if possible something on amazon for quick shipping since I need it pretty soon. It will be used with a pixel 3 and galaxy s21. I'm not sure if the phones require something like this to not suck battery from the phone https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-CL06-Type-Micro-Cable/dp/B07DLQ2XYZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 So if anyone does have experience with using dac/amps on these phones that would help a lot too.
Ones I'm looking at right now: https://www.amazon.com/xDuoo-Accessory-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07JGL2LC5
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Q3-AK4462DAC-Technology-MobilePhone/dp/B08K8GXCJJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fiio+q3&qid=1622577407&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/AK4490-PCM384KHz-Protable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B08HLW5934/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=XDUOO+bluetooth+adapter&qid=1622583788&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Must have:
A decent battery

Not be massive

160$ or less
Nice to have:

Charging while listening

Bluetooth

If I've left out anything please let me know 🙂

Which version of the Pros do you have?

You don't have to get something that large. What's decent battery life to you?

I'd check out the Audiolab M-DAC nano if you want something easier to live with. It's only slightly over your budget, but significantly smaller than what you linked.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Which version of the Pros do you have?

You don't have to get something that large. What's decent battery life to you?

I'd check out the Audiolab M-DAC nano if you want something easier to live with. It's only slightly over your budget, but significantly smaller than what you linked.

Just the standard ones https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html
Ideally I would like at least a 6 or 7 hour battery life. It didn't seem like any of Audiolab's products are sold near me or online (USA).
Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

Ideally I would like at least a 6 or 7 hour battery life. It didn't seem like any of Audiolab's products are sold near me or online (USA).
Thanks!

There's loads on eBay, and it's actually pretty under budget if you go that route.

They have about 8 hours of battery life.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

Thanks!

within your budget Im thinking the ifi hip dac and if you can find it on sale somewhere the ifi nano idsd is pretty close to your budget but msrp is $200

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's loads on eBay, and it's actually pretty under budget if you go that route.

They have about 8 hours of battery life.

Ebay won't work for me right now bc shipping would take too long thats why I said amazon if possible

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

within your budget Im thinking the ifi hip dac and if you can find it on sale somewhere the ifi nano idsd is pretty close to your budget but msrp is $200

I saw that and was thinking about it but the XDUOO seems to provide more power at the same price which seems to be the biggest concern

6 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

I saw that and was thinking about it but the XDUOO seems to provide more power at the same price which seems to be the biggest concern

Af forgot about the xduuo that's a good unit as well

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Af forgot about the xduuo that's a good unit as well

14 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

yep its nnot too unwieldy. its is thick and does have a bit of heft. if you are worried about how portable it can be the hip dac is not a bad unit as well just weaker 

2 hours ago, Dreaper said:

Hello 🙂 ,

I'm looking to get something that is portable-ish meaning something that won't be too bulky on a plane or a train it won't really be for just walking around so it doesn't have to be insanely small. Budget is max 160usd and if possible something on amazon for quick shipping since I need it pretty soon. It will be used with a pixel 3 and galaxy s21. I'm not sure if the phones require something like this to not suck battery from the phone https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-CL06-Type-Micro-Cable/dp/B07DLQ2XYZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 So if anyone does have experience with using dac/amps on these phones that would help a lot too.
Ones I'm looking at right now: https://www.amazon.com/xDuoo-Accessory-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07JGL2LC5
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Q3-AK4462DAC-Technology-MobilePhone/dp/B08K8GXCJJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fiio+q3&qid=1622577407&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/AK4490-PCM384KHz-Protable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B08HLW5934/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=XDUOO+bluetooth+adapter&qid=1622583788&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Must have:
A decent battery

Not be massive

160$ or less
Nice to have:

Charging while listening

Bluetooth

Have you tried out the 990 pros? Make sure they're really what you want, in this case I might recommend trying out other options out there. Also, You mentioned being out in public spaces. Open-backed headphones are usually a no-no there due to their open nature, or sound leakage both ways. If sound leakage in public places isn't a concern, I'd recommend trying out at least one of these: The Dt770 pro's (250ohm), the Hifiman he400se, and the Sennhesier hd560s. If leakage is a concern, consider the DT770s, as they're closed-back, or perhaps AKG K371's.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 hours ago, Dreaper said:

Hello 🙂 ,

Must have:
A decent battery

Not be massive

160$ or less
Nice to have:

Charging while listening

Bluetooth

Just to clarify and so my message doesn't take forever to edit, 

1. The DT990 is known by some for having boosted (and to some people, sibilant) treble, and bloated bass with bad decay. In other words, some people dislike the upper and lower ranges on this headphone, but Of course, audio is subjective, and I recommend that you try other headphones out if you don't know you prefer the 990's just to make sure you're getting what's best for you. 

2. Open-backed headphones leak sound, and this can be a problem outside when there's lots of background noise, and perhaps you're playing things that you don't want others to hear (Or things that others don't want to hear)

3. With these headphones, you might not actually need an amp/dac like the ones you showed, your headphones could do just fine (most likely) with A miezu dongle for $25 off of amazon. It'll just leach a little bit of juice from your s21, It'll sound quite good but It won't have a ton of power to supply, it should be fine with the 990 pro's and all the other headphones I listed, however the He400Se's and the 990 pro's may not be able to reach up to insane volume levels with just the meizu dongle, but it should be more than plenty for you unless you prefer pretty loud settings. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

7 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Have you tried out the 990 pros? Make sure they're really what you want, in this case I might recommend trying out other options out there. Also, You mentioned being out in public spaces. Open-backed headphones are usually a no-no there due to their open nature, or sound leakage both ways. If sound leakage in public places isn't a concern, I'd recommend trying out at least one of these: The Dt770 pro's (250ohm), the Hifiman he400se, and the Sennhesier hd560s. If leakage is a concern, consider the DT770s, as they're closed-back, or perhaps AKG K371's.

Yes! I've had them for about a year now and couldn't be happier, I also own a pair of AT's ATH 900x which i was planning on using bc no dac/amp needed but yeah those leak sound no matter the volume. So far the 990s aren't that bad for leakage and It seems fine for planes and trains.

Just now, Dreaper said:

Yes! I've had them for about a year now and couldn't be happier, I also own a pair of AT's ATH 900x which i was planning on using but yeah those leak sound no matter the volume but so far the 990s aren't that bad for leakage and It seems fine for planes and trains.

Ah, alright. I was under the impression that you were looking in to purchasing the headphones. In that case, disregard my arguments about that. My recommendation for the Meizu dongle still stands however, at least for these headphones. Good economical solution. 

9 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Ah, alright. I was under the impression that you were looking in to purchasing the headphones. In that case, disregard my arguments about that. My recommendation for the Meizu dongle still stands however, at least for these headphones. Good economical solution. 

The dongle like audiolabs isn't available in the US, or at least to get within 7 days. The only option I could find was aliexpress which would take too long. Ideally something from amazon US or something similar to r/hardwareswap where i could get better shipping options is what I need atm

Just now, Dreaper said:

The dongle like audiolabs isn't available in the US, or at least to get within 7 days. The only option I could find was aliexpress which would take too long. Ideally something from amazon US or something similar to r/hardwareswap where i could get better shipping options is what I need atm

Amazon.com: Meizu MasterHIFI Audio D/A Converter Headphone Amplifier,USB C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for Meizu 17 Pro Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra S20+ Z Flip Note20 ,Google Pixel 4 4a OnePlus 8: Electronics

This is what I was referring to, however it's offsale right now. You seem pretty hurried to get your hands on a unit, what's your circumstance? Just wondering. 

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Amazon.com: Meizu MasterHIFI Audio D/A Converter Headphone Amplifier,USB C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for Meizu 17 Pro Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra S20+ Z Flip Note20 ,Google Pixel 4 4a OnePlus 8: Electronics

This is what I was referring to, however it's offsale right now. You seem pretty hurried to get your hands on a unit, what's your circumstance? Just wondering. 

Going to be in a different country for a while(unexpected) and I leave the 7th. I was planning to use the 900xs cause I don't use them too much anymore but I never tested it to see if it would be fine in public spaces which its not. Reason for not just buying a new pair of iems or headphones instead of the dac/amp is because I feel like it would be ewaste after this until i travel again because I could just use the dac/amp at home if that makes sense.