Laptop Re-purposing Advice

Go to solution Solved by Devryd,
42 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

But I can't think of what to put it back in. 

Is the original "case" broken? If not, just stay with that. Replace the HDD to an SSD, maybe give it a little more RAM, and if you really want to, get a quad core sandy bridge chip, maybe a i7 2760qm Sandy Bridge shouldnt be soldered.

I have a Dell XPS 15 L502X and it's a decadish old at this point so I want to re purpose it.

There's the standard stuff like storage and the RAM. The problem is I'm looking for some guides/advice/instructions on how to do it. I don't want to accidentally kill it. 

This Guide by DIY Perks is more focused on laptop displays in general but I'm looking for a disassembly/Re-purposing guide specifically for my laptop. 

Also where can I find enclosures? I plan on turning the laptop into a HTPC for my younger siblings. But I can't think of what to put it back in. 

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

Look it up on youtube how to open it and then just replace the parts you want to replace. At worst add the part you need to replace next to it. The hdd is going to be the "hardest" as you need to open the front up.

For prying only use plastic tools otherwise you will damage the casing.

42 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

But I can't think of what to put it back in. 

Is the original "case" broken? If not, just stay with that. Replace the HDD to an SSD, maybe give it a little more RAM, and if you really want to, get a quad core sandy bridge chip, maybe a i7 2760qm Sandy Bridge shouldnt be soldered.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, Devryd said:

Is the original "case" broken? If not, just stay with that. 

so I should use the original chassis? While its not broken there has been some "chips" taken off at one corner making it an entryway for debris but i suppose if it's staying in one place it doesn't really matter.

Replace the HDD to an SSD, maybe give it a little more RAM,

definitely,2*8GB 33RAM shouldn't be too expensive (hopefully) SSD, maybe 256GB?

if you really want to, get a quad core sandy bridge chip, maybe a i7 2760qm Sandy Bridge shouldnt be soldered.

uhhhh....wtf? i can solder on a different CPU? Just so we're clear this IS a laptop you're talking about right?

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

16 hours ago, Hassan170 said:

uhhhh....wtf? i can solder on a different CPU? Just so we're clear this IS a laptop you're talking about right?

technically, you could solder in a new cpu, but I strongly doubt that you have the tools for that. Sandy Bridge CPUs often arent soldered to the Laptop, but I dont know if that is the case in your laptop. I swapped my CPU a few years ago, and it makes a noticable difference, but its really only an option, if your CPU is socketed

https://www.myfixguide.com/manual/dell-xps-15-l502x-l501x-disassembly-clean-cooling-fan-remove-keyboard/
I found this teardown. There is a picture, where you can see the CPU in the socket. You should be able to swap that for a different one. 

If you want to build a custom case for the PC, maybe get a better cooler. It will stay a lot quieter

12 hours ago, Devryd said:

technically, you could solder in a new cpu, but I strongly doubt that you have the tools for that. Sandy Bridge CPUs often arent soldered to the Laptop, but I dont know if that is the case in your laptop. I swapped my CPU a few years ago, and it makes a noticable difference, but its really only an option, if your CPU is socketed

Ok just watched a video and yeah you can replace the CPU, its socketed so no need for solder. Might wanna get some thermal paste tho.

You should be able to swap that for a different one. 

I get a quad core sandy bridge chip, maybe a i7 2760qm Sandy Bridge shouldnt be soldered.

I looked it up and apparently there is another CPU that can fit which is the i7-2860QM. It has about 2MB more cache than the 2760. Would you recommend the 2860 over the 2760?

according to userbenchmark (yes I know) its about 1% faster. I dont think I would pay more for it.

if you want to build a custom case for the PC, maybe get a better cooler. It will stay a lot quieter

Hmmmm i don't really have any tools for making a case. is there one i can buy? Or perhaps i can reuse the existing chassis but upgrade the cooling a bit?

41 minutes ago, Devryd said:

according to userbenchmark (yes I know) its about 1% faster. I dont think I would pay more for it.

the 2760 is about 75USD the 2860 about a 100USD so yeah i think i will stick with the 2760 as well.

you wont find a fitting case for it, every laptop uses a different mainboard.

if it doesnt have to be portable, you could water cool it. Its pretty cheap with the right parts and youdont need a lot of tools for it. I did it to my laptop and the cpu doest go higher than 50°C. its also really quiet