Pcie cable question

Kuarinofu
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It won't affect the performance of your video card, it won't care or even know the sound card is powered from there.

If possible, I'd use a separate cable though. Not because it would hurt the video card, but because the variations in power consumption of the video card could cause "noise" in the sound card's power, so you may get crackling or buzzing or glitches in the sound the card makes. If it happens, it won't damage the sound card, it would just be a minor annoyance.

Hi, forum. 

I have a GTX 1070ti and a Srix soar sound card. 

I wanted to ask can I use a single cable from my PSU to power them both or do I need to connect a separate one? 

The GPU is 8pin and the sound card is 6pin. The cable has such an option, but will it affect the performance of my GPU? Is this essentially a good practice? I have limited space in my H510 compact and I don't want to get messy with lots of cables. 

My PSU is a Seasonic Focus GX-750. 

I would just use two separate cables to be safe.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

It won't affect the performance of your video card, it won't care or even know the sound card is powered from there.

If possible, I'd use a separate cable though. Not because it would hurt the video card, but because the variations in power consumption of the video card could cause "noise" in the sound card's power, so you may get crackling or buzzing or glitches in the sound the card makes. If it happens, it won't damage the sound card, it would just be a minor annoyance.

Thanks for the advices, guys. I'll use a separate one just to avoid any possible problems.