Issues with transferring drivers from XP to Win 7

Dimondminer11

Hi I have an old PC that I want to use for gaming (athlon 64 x2 4200+, 4gb ram, hd 4670 1gb) and the drivers for my motherboard (Abit AV8) that allow the GPU to work properly work flawlessly on XP but don't install/don't work on Windows 7. So I want to know how I could get the (AGP chipset) drivers ported from XP to 7 as I think it would be fun to see how hardware from 2004 holds up in modern games. The motherboard does NOT support USB booting so I have to use DVDs.

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

This can save drivers from a system so you can install them on another. 

That's supposing the driver will even work on win7, not guaranteed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

This can save drivers from a system so you can install them on another. 

That's supposing the driver will even work on win7, not guaranteed.

You also normally do not need agp chipset drivers for a agp card to work in 7.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You also normally do not need agp chipset drivers for a agp card to work in 7.

In this case I do because the AGP card I'm using uses a converter chip. I tried a Radeon 9550 XL (AGP native card with no converter chip) and it worked flawlessly in Win 7 on this Athlon machine.

10 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

In this case I do because the AGP card I'm using uses a converter chip. I tried a Radeon 9550 XL (AGP native card with no converter chip) and it worked flawlessly in Win 7 on this Athlon machine.

Are you installing 32-bit Windows 7? 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are not compatible with eachother. They need to have the same bitness, as it's called.

I've haven't had a lot of issues running XP drivers in 7, as long as they're both 32-bit. Sound, networking, even graphics (if not Aero capable) always worked okay.

Also, run the driver installer in compatibility mode for XP, or the OS check will fail.

Edit:

Latest drivers are here:

https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/VIA_HyperionPro_V524A.zip

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

49 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Ooh you have one of those oddball adapted to agp cards. Those last stragglers. Yeah those can be finicky. Your best bet is to install 7 32 bit and install the chipset drivers and hope it works. Those pcie cards that were put on the agp bus are a bit finicky to get going.

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Ooh you have one of those oddball adapted to agp cards. Those last stragglers. Yeah those can be finicky. Your best bet is to install 7 32 bit and install the chipset drivers and hope it works. Those pcie cards that were put on the agp bus are a bit finicky to get going.

Well the odd part is that both my AGP Hd 3850 and HD 4670 work absolutely flawlessly on windows xp. I however have not tried win 7 32 bit yet although that would annoyingly limit my RAM to 3.5GB.

11 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Are you installing 32-bit Windows 7? 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are not compatible with eachother. They need to have the same bitness, as it's called.

I've haven't had a lot of issues running XP drivers in 7, as long as they're both 32-bit. Sound, networking, even graphics (if not Aero capable) always worked okay.

Also, run the driver installer in compatibility mode for XP, or the OS check will fail.

Edit:

Latest drivers are here:

https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/VIA_HyperionPro_V524A.zip

I used the 64 bit version of Win 7. I did try the 64 bit version of windows xp and that did work, but, well, the 64 bit ver of XP is a cluster fuck of incompatibility.

4 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

I used the 64 bit version of Win 7. I did try the 64 bit version of windows xp and that did work, but, well, the 64 bit ver of XP is a cluster fuck of incompatibility.

4 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Well the odd part is that both my AGP Hd 3850 and HD 4670 work absolutely flawlessly on windows xp. I however have not tried win 7 32 bit yet although that would annoyingly limit my RAM to 3.5GB.

If you havent tried it yet why not try it now? Chances are things might just magically work out of the box :p. If xp 64bit works that means there is some level of driver support on the 64bit version.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

If you havent tried it yet why not try it now? Chances are things might just magically work out of the box :p. If xp 64bit works that means there is some level of driver support on the 64bit version.

Yep I just gotta download a 32bit ISO of Win 7, which on my internet, will take a hot minute. I think I lost the rest of my blank DVDs tho D:

45 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Yep I just gotta download a 32bit ISO of Win 7, which on my internet, will take a hot minute. I think I lost the rest of my blank DVDs tho 😧

You can use Rufus to make a bootable W7 USB drive. Windows Vista and newer have no issues booting from USB.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, NelizMastr said:

You can use Rufus to make a bootable W7 USB drive. Windows Vista and newer have no issues booting from USB.

This motherboard is old enough to not support booting from USB drives unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Dimondminer11 said:

This motherboard is old enough to not support booting from USB drives unfortunately.

Time to buy DVDs then 😄

That said, I've booted from USB on boards as old as socket 754/478.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Time to buy DVDs then 😄

That said, I've booted from USB on boards as old as socket 754/478.

Yep however I found my DVDs and this board is Socket 939 but supports booting only from USB floppy, zip, and the other obscure media type.

2 minutes ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Yep however I found my DVDs and this board is Socket 939 but supports booting only from USB floppy, zip, and the other obscure media type.

Sounds very unlikely, I haven't seen any 939 boards that couldn't boot from USB. But oh well, DVDs should work fine.