thermal paste

Surestgarlic2

I put toothpaste on my laptops CPU bc the thermal.past was like dust when I touched it is this ok or should I take it apart and use mustard

Fun TIL: You can get Arctic Cooling MX4 for the price of a bottle of Tabasco, or a bottle of good dijon mustard.

Please use proper compound, not household items.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Um I guess toothpaste is good enough LOL though get some actual thermal paste as I'm not sure if toothpaste will last long.

1 minute ago, Eviljuche said:

I really hope that this is a joke...

it's not a joke I used arm n Hammer mint toothpaste

5 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

it's not a joke I used arm n Hammer mint toothpaste

yup clean it out, perhaps with alchohol and just get an actual thermal compound. (like a thermal grizzly kryonaut 1 gram or Noctual NH-2, if you are on a serious budget then Arctic MX-4)

or be a blin and use a mustard but good luck cleaning it when it dries out.

Edited by GorujoCY

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

yup clean it out, perhaps with alchohol and just get an actual thermal compound.

or be a blin and use a mustard but good luck cleaning it out when it dries out.

how long will mustard last

2 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

84997771_.JPG.7c3a44d42f1559ed48c7d0227c3f493a.JPG

This picture shows what happens to regular toothpaste(on the left) and he regular thermal compound(on the right) after the strong heat application. No comments.

will it still be better than the powder that was On it aka thermal paste/dust

1 minute ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

how long will mustard last

not for so long I think and I do not recommend it as it will be hard for your to dry it out if your laptop suddenly overheats, as others tried to explain, just get an actual thermal compound, it's not expensive, especially the arctic mx-4

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

not for so long I think and I do not recommend it as it will be hard for your to dry it out if your laptop suddenly overheats, as others tried to explain, just get an actual thermal compound, it's not expensive, especially the arctic mx-4

but I only have 10 bucks and I need to buy a cpu

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

You won't get a decent CPU thats worth anything for $10. Use that $10 and buy proper thermal paste. Its been proven time and time again in videos on Youtube that Toothpaste is NOT a viable thermal paste replacement. No food substance will be a viable replacement. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

no I'm not I have an old Toshiba satellite a135 s4527 I need a cheap CPU and I want to know if I'm gonna damage anything with toothpaste

If toothpaste was a good idea, then everyone would use it. Just use thermal paste, it is cheap, you can recycle cans and bottles to pay for it.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

25 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

bruh the mx-4 is less than 10 bucks: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-ACTCP00002B-Thermal-Compound/dp/B07LDJXWC8/
hence the recommendation of thermal paste.
edit: Noctua NT-H1 as well is cheaper than 10 bucks:
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NT-H1-Pro-Grade-Thermal-Compound/dp/B002CQU14A/

My PC

-= Topic Locked =-

Shit posting is not allowed in this forum.

As it is there are a multitude of videos, articles, and forum topics (not just LTT) about this subject. Not including the 10's of thousands of memes about using stuff other than thermal compound.

That Said and using common sense, Thermal compound was created for one purpose. Use it or suffer the consequence of your choice.

And for the love of God, do not use mustard on your cpu... just dont.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER