First PC build: office use and mild gaming on a budget

Go to solution Solved by JasperNuijten,

Hey man,

The 3400G is fine for waiting for a GPU, don't expect a lot of performance tho.

The warning about the ram clearance is to be ignored if you are using a stock cooler.

The warning about the BIOS version is little more complicated; With the launch of ryzen 3rd gen b450 boards were also compatible with a BIOS update. Any boards that were made after the launch already have this new update. I would think that this board was produced after the launch since it has been a pretty long time. Should probably be fine. If you did the build and it is not posting that could be the issue you are having. Then you need a ryzen 2nd gen or lower cpu to update your bios.

For the ram: the trident Z is cool but not needed(looks cool tho). The other option i would not suggest, you probably should get at least 2x8 sticks. You can get a decent kit for about 80-90 bucks.

All of your ssd's are good choices; all have a DRAM cache.

Power supply looks good.

Cases are for the most part personal preference but these look fine.

That's a pretty good monitor deal if you need 4k.

Budget: $1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Linux/Windows, Eclipse, ‘No Man’s Sky’-ish games

Other details:
Current computer: Lenovo Yoga 710

Build date: 1.5 months away, planning/purchasing parts now

Build reason: Do not currently own desktop. Would like an upgrade from the current laptop. Would like to experience building my own. 

Main Use: Eclipse for work.
Secondary Use: Personal gaming, non-competitive. Would like to be able to run the majority of games, even if not at the best settings. Looking to get most performance out of the budget as possible.

My main concern: outrageous graphics card prices

Proposed solution: an ALU instead of CPU/GPU combo or something with enough onboard graphics to be usable until future upgrade

Existing Parts list (rough):

APU (1):

- AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4core 3.7Ghz ($286)

(could go more expensive if worth it)

Notes: found on PCPartPicker.com by simply sorting Integrated Graphics:descending and it was the first one

Motherboard (1):

- ASRock B450M Pro4 - $80

Notes: found on a LTT video for budget PC build. Threw these flags on PCPartPicker:

•  Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Picasso CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
  •  Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Will the above warning be an issue? Or a simple fix. If not compatible, recommendations appreciated greatly!

RAM (guesses):

- G.Skill Trident Z 2x8gig DDR4 3200 $115

or

- G.SKILL 2 x 4GB $50

SSD (2):

-Samsung 970 Evo plus 500GB - $95

or

- XPG SX850 256GB - $40

or

- TEAMGROUP MP34 512GB - $65

or

- XPG Gammix S5 256GB - $50

Power Supply (1):

- EVGA BQ 500W - $50

Case (1):

- be Quiet! Pure Base 600 ATX mid tower - $100

or

- NZXT H510 - $70

or

- Cougar MG120 - $50

Notes: i like orange 

Monitor (1):

- Asus VP28UQG 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor

Notes: Was looking for a cheap 4K, but would be willing to compromise for lower price with intent to upgrade in the future

All help and information is appreciated!

Hey man,

The 3400G is fine for waiting for a GPU, don't expect a lot of performance tho.

The warning about the ram clearance is to be ignored if you are using a stock cooler.

The warning about the BIOS version is little more complicated; With the launch of ryzen 3rd gen b450 boards were also compatible with a BIOS update. Any boards that were made after the launch already have this new update. I would think that this board was produced after the launch since it has been a pretty long time. Should probably be fine. If you did the build and it is not posting that could be the issue you are having. Then you need a ryzen 2nd gen or lower cpu to update your bios.

For the ram: the trident Z is cool but not needed(looks cool tho). The other option i would not suggest, you probably should get at least 2x8 sticks. You can get a decent kit for about 80-90 bucks.

All of your ssd's are good choices; all have a DRAM cache.

Power supply looks good.

Cases are for the most part personal preference but these look fine.

That's a pretty good monitor deal if you need 4k.