I REALLY Wanted to Try This... Samung NEO QLED Mini LED TVs

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

6 minutes ago, jakkuh_t said:

interesting , we just watch them watch movies?

i5-9400f

corsair 16gb (2x8) kit + 4x1 gb microsoft stick both 2666

asrock b350m pro4 lga 1151 

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

nzxt h510 airflow case white

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

4 minutes ago, LTT_fanboy said:

interesting , we just watch them watch movies?

Watching the video, with Linus watching the video, with Linus watching the video, with Linus watching the video, with Linus watching the video, with Linus watching the video...

Jokes aside, I am curious why we have to bother with LED, miniLED, microLED, OLED, QLED, etc.

elephants

i only have one question: What are those gorgeous wallpapers running on the Samsung one?

Whilst I understand it's for the video and the display is just a good display regardless. Blade Runner 2049 isn't a HDR film, even in HDR mode. It doesn't have any highlights over 200nits so no TV should have issues showing what is basically a SDR film.

IMO OLED is the worst display you can have for a PC, there is just to much of a risk that UI elements will burn in.

When you are bored at work and you don't care what your boss thinks:

image.png.b7f1da81d60b0196a5719a005898bf99.png

At 5:46 it looks like the LG OLED has better dark spots, still impressive tho, and could be caused by the screens angle more than anything.

Also isn't Samsung or LG the ones supplying Apple with the panels?

2 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

Isn't Samsung going to get mad at your for displaying a bad display instead of waiting for a replacement 😜 

Turn off the RGB behind you next time, it was really distracting making me thing they sent you a bad unit 🤣

image.png.48711b90ff948f3e15125cc0ea5c61a4.png

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Jokes aside, I am curious why we have to bother with LED, miniLED, microLED, OLED, QLED, etc.

Why did we want LCD LED screens when CRTs worked perfectly fine for decades? It'll likely be a similar/close answer.

I would like blacker blacks, but I'm not willing to pay for it and can wait till the tech gets cheaper. I'm happy since mini and micro shouldn't have the burn in issues oled has but looks to provide the quality.

I would have liked to see Pixel Response performance with these panels. Supposedly this TV supports up to 120hz.

4 hours ago, jakkuh_t said:

~SNIP~

Heres the thing not mentioned or observed in this video.

'LED', is still LCD, regardless of the backlight type or the name its given. This means its still reliant on physical movement of tiny tiny crystals to adjust luminance.

As fast as gaming monitors have become in regards to this (Pixel response), Tv's have not, even if they were, OLED is in a whole different league due to the fact its not a LCD.

Both the new Mini LED LCDs (irrelevant of name), and the Dual Layer LCDs from Hisense, still have to deal with slower than desired pixel response. In high contrast slow movement scenes, they have the potential to go toe to toe with an OLED, and they also have great peak brightness for sure, and thats great. BUT used for gaming be it on console or PC, their moving image resolution wont be anywhere near as good as an OLED, and you can forget using BFi to try help with image clarity as trying to get BFi to work with both VRR and a FALD implementation without introducing strobe crosstalk is next to impossible.

Now lets not leave OLED out of the 'bashing'. OLEDs current 'issue' is near black reproduction. As great as they are with their inky blacks and superb contrast, very near black scenes can cause issues with flickering and posturization. Some work arounds exists, but its still a problem. Thankfully its a problem that is certainly fixable with further development of power delivery and control to the OLED pixels. And ofc there is the peak brightness that currently is lacking somewhat vs LCD, BUT for most people shouldn't be an issue as they dont live in crazy bright rooms. You wont find a average joe running a $500 SDR LCD complaining about its brightness, well an OLED gets brighter than a SDR LCD can..its just a high end LCD like a QLED can get even brighter than that, and thats what we compare against.

A nice subjective video, would be nice to get objective testing from LTT aswell though.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So, they put it in film maker mode to be 'most accurate', then changes the setting on the LG AWAY from 'warm 2'?? It definitely has the closest temperature to D65 from what many reviewers have tested (and what I've tested myself). 

What's the point in messing up the settings then complaining of one looking more or less green...

11 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Both the new Mini LED LCDs (irrelevant of name), and the Dual Layer LCDs from Hisense, still have to deal with slower than desired pixel response. In high contrast slow movement scenes, they have the potential to go toe to toe with an OLED, and they also have great peak brightness for sure, and thats great. BUT used for gaming be it on console or PC, their moving image resolution wont be anywhere near as good as an OLED, and you can forget using BFi to try help with image clarity as trying to get BFi to work with both VRR and a FALD implementation without introducing strobe crosstalk is next to impossible.

While they often don't quite reach OLED like performance in motion, Samsungs newest VA panels are extremely quick. And TV's are not used for competitive gaming, so the marginal difference is not really important imo.

Now lets not leave OLED out of the 'bashing'. OLEDs current 'issue' is near black reproduction. As great as they are with their inky blacks and superb contrast, very near black scenes can cause issues with flickering and posturization. Some work arounds exists, but its still a problem. Thankfully its a problem that is certainly fixable with further development of power delivery and control to the OLED pixels.

Calibration can go a LONG way to help here. I have also had black crushing happening in my C9, but after i bought the tools and took the time to properly and fully calibrate, i get more detail than ever. For me it's so good, i don't think it can get any better in regards to dark level details.

And ofc there is the peak brightness that currently is lacking somewhat vs LCD, BUT for most people shouldn't be an issue as they dont live in crazy bright rooms. You wont find a average joe running a $500 SDR LCD complaining about its brightness, well an OLED gets brighter than a SDR LCD can..its just a high end LCD like a QLED can get even brighter than that, and thats what we compare against.

Most people bashing on OLEDs brightness have never seen any OLED TV in action and are HDR try-hards that say anything under 1000 cd/m2 is not HDR. But if you watch your content in a dark room OLED really starts to shine and even TVs that can get to 700 cd/m2 can give extremely good HDR results. And even under daylight today's OLED TVs can easily get bright enough to deliver a really good experience.

People forget: The No. 1 aspect of HDR is not brightness, but CONTRAST. And unless microLED comes anytime soon, there is no other display tech that can compare to OLED. Even miniLED TV's normally don't completely turn off any zone (afaik), no matter how dark it is. So a "real" pure black is not possible like it is with OLED.

And to account for blooming the miniLED backlight HAS to crush some details, that's just something that comes with FALD and cannot be worked around. The backlight can't just blast full brightness in one zone because a few pixels (for example a star) calls out for 2000 cd/m2. If it would just do it, then you'd have a big bright zone on a dark background being distracting.

Tbh i'd really like to try out a Samsung Q90A for myself and see after a few weeks if i'd rather take my C9's perfect black and 850 cd/m2 or the Q90A's miniLED dimming and 1800 cd/m2. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

While they often don't quite reach OLED like performance in motion, Samsungs newest VA panels are extremely quick. And TV's are not used for competitive gaming, so the marginal difference is not really important imo.

~SNIP~

Indeed.

Though even outside of competitive gaming the slow dark transitions are noticeable, the 'smearing' can cause a flicker like effect when objects move across the screen then stop moving in dark scenes, like paining the camera, this is even noticeable on faster VA monitors to some degree.

Example:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Most people bashing on OLEDs brightness have never seen any OLED TV in action and are HDR try-hards that say anything under 1000 cd/m2 is not HDR. But if you watch your content in a dark room OLED really starts to shine and even TVs that can get to 700 cd/m2 can give extremely good HDR results. And even under daylight today's OLED TVs can easily get bright enough to deliver a really good experience.

I was already sold when I watced Planet Earth II during the day, but the minute I watched the pitch black ocean scenes in either Planet Earth II or Blue Planet II (forgot which one) on my C9 in the middle of the night I was convinced OLEDs are king. Good lord those absolute blacks compared with the fish highlights...

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 5/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, tikker said:

I was already sold when I watced Planet Earth II during the day, but the minute I watched the pitch black ocean scenes in either Planet Earth II or Blue Planet II (forgot which one) on my C9 in the middle of the night I was convinced OLEDs are king. Good lord those absolute blacks compared with the fish highlights...

Indeed, one area in which even the top of the line FALD equipped LCDs cant compete, which unfortunately LTT didnt observe, is scenes with very small bright highlights backed by very dark backgrounds.

E.G The deep see and Space star fields.

Star fields in particular are very hard for FALD LCDs to handle as many of the dimmer stars will be lost when the backlight is lowered or turned of in the areas of predominantly black space. While areas with small but bright stars will bloom.

OLEDs on the other hand handle this VERY well. An absolute black space star field really shows the strength of OLED