ASUS - Right to Repair

AfonsoJR
Go to solution Solved by AfonsoJR,

I still don't think a whole keycap set is a good solution, in my mind it seems a waste of money and plastic. 
But I listened to @Energycore's advice and called them and they said the same as the email, but provided me with the contacts to the repair center that they use. It's already closed today, but tomorrow I'll call them and try to ask for a single keycap!

So I tweeted this in order to get some coverage, but haven't been able to get much track on it...

Afonso Ramos on Twitter: "@GamersNexus @LinusTech So, apparently, @ASUS recommends that you buy a whole new keyboard if a keycap breaks. https://t.co/yy8zaCF1dJ" / Twitter

Unfortunately, ASUS does not sell keys separately.
In this case you have to buy a new keyboard if you want to solve the problem itself.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

What do you guys think of the situation? I mean, all I want is to be able to buy a single key... 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

looks to be using cherry stem, many aftermarket caps, you might be able to find one that works?

That's true, but at the same time I wanted to maintain keycap consistency, without a single key that differs from the rest 😢

Edit: Additionally, it's not easy to find a single key replacement either

Just now, AfonsoJR said:

That's true, but at the same time I wanted to maintain keycap consistency, without a single key that differs from the rest 😢

buy the whole keycap set?

i really don't see what's the issue here

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

buy the whole keycap set?

i really don't see what's the issue here

How is that a reasonable solution? One broken keycap -> Buy a whole keycap set??? In the end, this is plastic, it should not be consumed like that!!

That's some especially low quality customer service lol

But like @Moonzy said, your best bet is aftermarket keys for cherry switches.

If you're just missing one key, make sure it's the right height and you can paint it the color of the rest of the keyboard.

This is an opportunity to look at full sets of aftermarket keycaps, they generally last you through multiple keebs if they're good ones.

I actually want aluminum keycaps for my keeb, they're just way too expensive lol

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, AfonsoJR said:

How is that a reasonable solution? One broken keycap -> Buy a whole keycap set??? In the end, this is plastic, it should not be consumed like that!!

If you just want the one keycap, you'll probably find someone who sells it to you if you ask around in a PC Parts marketplace. There's gotta be that kind of thing in Portugal

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

If you just want the one keycap, you'll probably find someone who sells it to you if you ask around in a PC Parts marketplace. There's gotta be that kind of thing in Portugal

Or find a broken unit for parts maybe,

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

This is why I always check how a company handles replacement parts before buying an item. Though calling this a right to repair issue is quite farfetched. There's nothing secret about them that they're keeping from you, they just don't produce any extras. It sucks, but that just means they are not as focused on peripherals as other companies and your next purchase should not support that behavior.

3 minutes ago, AfonsoJR said:

-shrug-

i tend to not rely on stock keycaps, esp corsair ones, they're absolute horse crap, that's why i don't buy corsair kb

but yes i can see why you'd be against this

Find someone with a 3D printer. Right to repair and forcing a manufacturer to sell individual parts is two separate issues.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

This is why I always check how a company handles replacement parts before buying an item. Though calling this a right to repair issue is quite farfetched. There's nothing secret about them that they're keeping from you, they just don't produce any extras. It sucks, but that just means they are not as focused on peripherals as other companies and your next purchase should not support that behavior.

What are some keeb companies that do have replacement keycaps?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, svmlegacy said:

Find someone with a 3D printer.

This is actually an excellent idea

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

NGL, I'm probs gonna kill myself when my Roccat Sova breaks since it uses fairly unique parts and was never sold in high numbers.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

corsair sells whole set keycaps, but only because their stock caps are horseshit in my (multiple) experiences

somehow their replacement caps are decent though

Just now, Energycore said:

Corsair seems to according to their FAQ, and Razer has full sets for some of their boards.

1 minute ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

NGL, I'm probs gonna kill myself when my Roccat Sova breaks since it uses fairly unique parts and was never sold in high numbers.

Indeed. We really need to stop screaming for Youtubers to intervene for every little thing. It just drowns out actual right to repair problems.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Indeed. We really need to stop screaming for Youtubers to intervene for every little thing. It just drowns out actual right to repair problems.

Well, I'd just solve the problem myself.  You'd see me buying another Sova on eBay for spare parts and hiding it in the closet as I slowly cannibalize it into the 2030s.  It's hands down the best 'couch gaming' keyboard I've used between it's size and comfort, but it's also such a 'one of'.  But yeah you won't see me screaming at influencers if a key breaks on it.

Asus, really? Right after people call you out on your thermal pad bs?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Indeed! I'll try to make better purchases and inform anyone that comes to me for recommendations to stay off ASUS for these kinds of purchases.

7 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Find someone with a 3D printer. Right to repair and forcing a manufacturer to sell individual parts is two separate issues.

I'll probably try this! Best way to get it as similar as possible!

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Corsair seems to according to their FAQ, and Razer has full sets for some of their boards.

I imagine that since they sell those they'd make exceptions for these cases, but I'd have to try to make sure.

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I think it just shows how deep it goes

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Asus, really? Right after people call you out on your thermal pad bs?

I went for my country's support email, so that might affect how they handle things as well. I'll try to contact some other ASUS rep. 

3 minutes ago, AfonsoJR said:

I think it just shows how deep it goes

But this is not a right to repair issue. This is a "we suck at gauging what our customers needs are" issue.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Wait, that's only USD$29.99 on Amazon.

WTF is the OP even complaining about here?

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Wait, that's only USD$29.99 on Amazon.

WTF is the OP even complaining about here?

They even list them on the Portugal site..

https://rog.asus.com/pt/keyboards/accessories/rog-pbt-keycap-set-model/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?