Is the iPhone 12 worth it right now, or just wait for the iPhone 13?

EKasis

I have a 2 year old S10e now that I have to charge 3 times every day. Right now, Samsung's trade in system lets me upgrade to an S21 for 400usd.

However, there's the dongle situation. I made another post asking if there's a reliable dongle to both charge and use my headphones at the same time, but after some research and asking around in other forums, I doubt there's one that I'd feel completely comfortable with it's performance.

My original plan was to update to an iPhone 12 whenever they announced they'll release the "stop app tracking" feature, since privacy is very important to me. I was ready to pay almost 900usd for a privacy pop up, that's how much it matters to me.

Then I started doing some research and apparently the battery life isn't really that good, and iOS is rather restricting from an Android POV.

That's when I saw some iPhone 13 "leaks" claiming it could have a fingerprint sensor and better battery life (maybe even the new display the iPad Pro has, M1 chip, and headphone jack. I know I'm nuts, let me dream). Both are features I'd absolutely love to have on an iPhone and would make it a solid first choice for me.

Also, iPhones have their dongle life pretty much solved, there's clear solid options that work really well without much trouble. Totally opposite than what I'm looking at with Samsung.

So my question is: Is it worth it to upgrade to an iPhone 12, wait for the 13, or just take the S21 (which I'm not sure how many headaches it'll give me with few updates and dongle trouble)?

Know that I'm fine with my S10e right now. However the battery life is abysmal and I'm kinda getting tired of Android, I definetly want to update my device this year.

Thanks!

If you need to buy a new phone now then the 12 is a good option as the 13 / 12s is still a good 4 months away. If you want to wait then the next generation of iPhone is a good choice. I would not go for the S21 since for the long term the iPhone is a much more viable solution.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

If you need to buy a new phone now then the 12 is a good option as the 13 / 12s is still a good 4 months away. If you want to wait then the next generation of iPhone is a good choice. I would not go for the S21 since for the long term the iPhone is a much more viable solution.

I really don't mind waiting 4 months to see if the Apple 13 is a worthy upgrade. But if people already know the updates will be minimal, say an iPhone 12s with improved 5G and 16k video recording (which I'll never use), I'd rather just get the 12 already.

And thanks for the insights on the S21, I was already having a hard time figuring out how am I supposed to use my headphones while charging for the ~2 years I'd have it... what a world we live in.

6 minutes ago, EKasis said:

I really don't mind waiting 4 months to see if the Apple 13 is a worthy upgrade. But if people already know the updates will be minimal, say an iPhone 12s with improved 5G and 16k video recording (which I'll never use), I'd rather just get the 12 already.

So far we only kinda know that the notch is shrinking. Basically we don't know anything about the leaks.

I am the kind of person who uses their phone for a solid ~4-5 years before upgrading so besides the iPhone no other phone manufacturer gives that much of a software guarantee. I mean I would still be using my iPhone 6s on the latest software version mind you if the battery wasn't so shit after 4 years. I think waiting for the iPhone 13 would be a good bet for you.

11 minutes ago, EKasis said:

And thanks for the insights on the S21, I was already having a hard time figuring out how am I supposed to use my headphones while charging for the ~2 years I'd have it... what a world we live in.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headphone-Adapter-Charging-Compatible/dp/B08519D4R4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1G8CCC5I0O08F&dchild=1&keywords=usb+c+to+headphone+jack+and+charger&qid=1621832877&sprefix=usb+c+to+headpho%2Caps%2C330&sr=8-4

^That's a pretty good option

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Wait for the iPhone 13,price of iPhone 12 drops = Profit

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

I did check that one up, but sadly it doesn't work with 2 ring connectors and it also seems to be rather polarizing among reviewers in terms of quality and performance.

13 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

I think waiting for the iPhone 13 would be a good bet for you.

I'm starting to think the same, thank you.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Wait for the iPhone 13,price of iPhone 12 drops = Profit

That's a win-win situation in my books 😆

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Wireless charger

Yeah... I'm not really sure about using a wireless charger in any situation other than charging the phone while I sleep, plus I actually might want to hold and use my phone while it charges. Would you even try to take a wireless charger to an airport?

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

So what about the $400 option and a dongle?

Usb-c dongles aren't quite as good for some reason. They either dont support 2 ring headphone jacks, severely decrease audio quality, have unstable charging outputs, get REALLY hot, or straight up stop working after a while.

I've had a few before for my macbook but I never thought the usb-c dongle problem would also translate to android phones.

Such a shame, add that Google and Samsung track and sell most of whatI do on the phone, plus the 3 updates it'll receive in around 2 years, and its really disheartening to try and use this phone like I already use my S10e.