How to train a-- bribe a parent into helping pay for a PC.

juanton

I love the guys saying you're spoiled. El. O. El. 

I don't make any excuses for the upbringing I had. Why would I? Why would my parents as well? So sue them for being well off and being able to provide me with a great childhood. 

Well, more for my brother. I was young enough to see my dad go through rough times and 90 hour work weeks for nearly 6 years before he was even able to take weekends off.

Yes, you are lucky. So take advantage of it. Enjoy it. Don't feel a need to explain yourself to those that think you are spoiled. Boo fucking hoo that they had rough upbringings and had to do work. Its all relative. Their hardness doesn't invalidate yours, and vice versa.

I thought most states you couldn't legally get an 'official' job (Like Mcdonalds or something) until you're 14 or 16.. Last year I mowed lawns during the summer. Made around $300+ and I plan to do it again as soon as grass starts growing.

I had a crap P4 computer (That I built myself using super cheap or free parts over time.) until my dad got me a budget gaming motherboard/CPU/RAM for Xmas 2012. I still had to buy or re-use other parts. My PC is around $800 including everything, but I do have 2 screens and a Phantom NZXT case I got for Xmas last year. Now that I think about it.. I got the basic parts for free from my parents.. Now I feel spoiled. Does the fact that I had a PIII desktop until 2009 and a P4 desktop until 2012 help? And a PII laptop until 2009? (My current laptop is a E6500 Core 2 Duo that I got missing parts for free from a recycling bin and I invested a bit of money in it. I love the thing now.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Spoiled imo, to be honest I had to save up for a year to get my pc selling my bed on craigslist and No i'm not even joking. Anyone who really knows me will know its a fact I been sleeping like a monk for like 2 years now. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I thought most states you couldn't legally get an 'official' job (Like Mcdonalds or something) until you're 14 or 16.. Last year I mowed lawns during the summer. Made around $300+ and I plan to do it again as soon as grass starts growing.

I had a crap P4 computer (That I built myself using super cheap or free parts over time.) until my dad got me a budget gaming motherboard/CPU/RAM for Xmas 2012. I still had to buy or re-use other parts. My PC is around $800 including everything, but I do have 2 screens and a Phantom NZXT case I got for Xmas last year. Now that I think about it.. I got the basic parts for free from my parents.. Now I feel spoiled. Does the fact that I had a PIII desktop until 2009 and a P4 desktop until 2012 help? And a PII laptop until 2009? (My current laptop is a E6500 Core 2 Duo that I got missing parts for free from a recycling bin and I invested a bit of money in it. I love the thing now.)

Totally spoiled. 100% spoiled. You didn't really do anything on your own. For shame. 

My dad gave me my case. I like the case. I could've easily bought my own. I'm not even living at home anymore. Spoiled? According to old farts in this thread, yes I am. 

Tell them it will lower the electric bills. Worked for my mom, since it actually did. By like $10. A WEEK.

Dang that's cool.  I run my minecraft server 24/7 and my parents don't even care, so that's pretty cool I guess :P

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

It's good having a lot of knowledge in a single sector but you also have to take into account that not everyone trading in said sector knows as much as you do so therefore they may interpret news and stock movements differently when compared to you. The key is to be able to read the minds of all the other traders playing the stocks with you. You should still diversify your portfolio and knowledge in other sectors so you have a safety net and a variety of companies to trade with.

Graduated from Clements high but never went to college/uni due to credential and financial problems at the time. I did graphic and web design then went on to do IT support and then salesman work(wasn't super fun but I was good at selling you stuff lol). Quit doing salesman stuff due to a series of events that caused me to take up even more interest in the stock market than I initially had back in high school. *spending too much time making money in a game - watching a show about economics "Spice and Wolf"* Took a portion of the money I made from those jobs in the past and threw it onto a brokerage account to trade, been doing it for a little bit more than half a year now. Its by no means a easy job but it's hella nice schedule wise, and if you have the mental self control and the know how in gauging economics/market mentality its a great job to have.

EDIT: Question how old are you? A large number of people on this forum are either too young or aren't interested in economics, therefore they usually don't know a thing about what I'm yapping about.

So you work for yourself strictly buying for yourself?

I'm 29. A grandpa on this forum it seems. Love following the stock market, businesses, economics, etc. you ever watch squawk box? I practically live on cnbc.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

So you work for yourself strictly buying for yourself?

I'm 29. A grandpa on this forum it seems. Love following the stock market, businesses, economics, etc. you ever watch squawk box?

Yeah I buy for stocks for myself and just for myself. Though I've had a couple of friends and a former teacher offer me some of their money hoping I'd trade for them. I've rejected all offers, I'm not trading for other people until I I've managed to at least quadruple my initial starting capital. 

Pssst your not too old, this forums just happens to have to many young members. Some of the more established and older tech forums have much more mature members. I do occasionally watch squawk box, I watch cnbc on a daily basis but I always take the news they give out with a pinch of salt. I'm not a master trader but I know the difference between a gambler and a trader, a gambler does nothing but watch news and look online for articles(sometimes not even that they'll just trade based on luck) and a trader does extensive research about the companies he's going to buy into, whether its fundamental or technical data(or both).

From what I heard Jim Kramer being a TV celebrity for stocks didn't have a amazing annual portfolio gain. *shrugs*

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So last night, my dad and I were talking. He said,"I will get you a job at a computer repair shop my friend owns this summer, but I won't help you build a PC." My response was,"OK, but in order for me to get the job, I need some experience. I have book knowledge, but only minor experience." Then he just stopped talking to me. I was like, "wtf bruh gon lev boi hang'n?" Well, moral of the story is, I have no source of income, I do chores already, I am a student, and I have no money to pay for myself. So, if anyone has any ways I can bribe him into helping to pay for components, I would like to hear it. 

NOTICE, I AM PAYING FOR 3/4 IF HE DOES HELP! I AM NOT A SPOILED BRAT THAT HAS EVERYTHING HE/SHE/IT WANTS. LOOK AT MY CURRENT PROCESSOR THEN RETURN IF YOU THINK I'M SPOILED.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention I already know a good amount. I have been interested in PC's for the past like 3 years and have been learning stuff ever since... Lol. Everyone is saying to learn stuff here, and there, but I know enough to get the job, its just getting actual experience with building that I need.

Bit late now I already posted.. sorry to say I looked at OP and replied straight away without reading further...

Seems a bit weird you have not figured out yet... that you'd GET the experience by working at your dads friendly store... negating the NEED for help on the build (cos either doing it yourself, or a workmate could assist you)

With a job comes more money... if he SEE's your earning money, he will be more likely to throw more in for you... knowing you have a good working relationship and can pay it back quicker than he thinks you can.

You say you know a good amount, yet require help on a build? Surely you've watched some build video's before?

I don't mean to be negative, but you've answered all your own questions in the OP.

TL:DR - You have the new found job giving you INCOME, Your dad will throw in more NO DOUBT if you have a job (all parents are like this usually, until your trusted with money or a job, why bother taking the risk they say...)

Plus your not starting fresh and already have some knowledge...

So yeah.. Take the job, earn some money for a little while, and re-approach your dad knowing he is happy you have a job and no doubt would hear reports from his friend your doing ok.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Dang that's cool.  I run my minecraft server 24/7 and my parents don't even care, so that's pretty cool I guess :P

I want to host an MC server for someone since it's my favorite server but they have really crap internet (.5MBPS upload. In the UK too.) but my dad says it'll use too much bandwidth.. (I think we get 200 or 250GB a month. A couple months ago I alone used nearly 200GB but my dad didn't say anything so I dunno..)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Yeah I buy for stocks for myself and just for myself. Though I've had a couple of friends and a former teacher offer me some of their money hoping I'd trade for them. I've rejected all offers, I'm not trading for other people until I I've managed to at least quadruple my initial starting capital. 

Pssst your not too old, this forums just happens to have to many young members. Some of the more established and older tech forums have much more mature members. I do occasionally watch squawk box, I watch cnbc on a daily basis but I always take the news they give out with a pinch of salt. I'm not a master trader but I know the difference between a gambler and a trader, a gambler does nothing but watch news and look online for articles(sometimes not even that they'll just trade based on luck) and a trader does extensive research about the companies he's going to buy into, whether its fundamental or technical data(or both).

From what I heard Jim Kramer being a TV celebrity for stocks didn't have a amazing annual portfolio gain. *shrugs*

I don't even watch him. I just like to know what's going on with businesses and who is doing what. I don't really look for opinions. If I'm going to invest in something it's going to be off of my research and not someone else's.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I want to host an MC server for someone since it's my favorite server but they have really crap internet (.5MBPS upload. In the UK too.) but my dad says it'll use too much bandwidth.. (I think we get 200 or 250GB a month. A couple months ago I alone used nearly 200GB but my dad didn't say anything so I dunno..)

lol I have 1mbps upload, no limit though here in the US

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I don't even watch him. I just like to know what's going on with businesses and who is doing what. I don't really look for opinions. If I'm going to invest in something it's going to be off of my research and not someone else's.

Good good good ! :D

Your planning on long term investing right? There are a couple of good companies to look into for that. Google being one of them with their stock split coming Wednesday!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Your planning on long term investing right? There are a couple of good companies to look into for that. Google being one of them with their stock split coming Wednesday!

I want some Google action. 

Tesla was another one. I didn't invest a cent (because poor) but I'm so damn glad I got others to invest when it was very cheap. Everyone sold off chunks for a nice amount of easy profit. They all didn't think it would amount to much but I'm glad it did. Thats a company I want to see go far. 

For the most part. Google would be an option. I would also like to find some smaller companies that haven't really hit the true growth phase in their business. I'd probably get into some mutual funds or ETF's at some point. To start I just want to have some fun with a small amount of money. Truly long term is my own clothing business.

Right now I'm thinking water, nat gas, tech, apparel/apparel manufacturing. Things like that. The first two I guess would be very long term. I don't know. I still have a ton of much deeper research to do. It's all really interesting though.

Gah investing in tech companies :/ Just invest in something stable like Walmart. You know Buffet doesn't even have a computer at his house/mansion/helipad?

I want some Google action. 

Tesla was another one. I didn't invest a cent (because poor) but I'm so damn glad I got others to invest when it was very cheap. Everyone sold off chunks for a nice amount of easy profit. They all didn't think it would amount to much but I'm glad it did. Thats a company I want to see go far. 

Haha thats nice! SCTY has seen very good growth lately too, its also kinda hyped about because Elon Musk helps run it. Keep a eye on that one. 

For the most part. Google would be an option. I would also like to find some smaller companies that haven't really hit the true growth phase in their business. I'd probably get into some mutual funds or ETF's at some point. To start I just want to have some fun with a small amount of money. Truly long term is my own clothing business.

Right now I'm thinking water, nat gas, tech, apparel/apparel manufacturing. Things like that. The first two I guess would be very long term. I don't know. I still have a ton of much deeper research to do. It's all really interesting though.

ETFs and mutual funds are a good idea for sure, trading options may be something you'd be interested at looking into too. I don't pay much attention to the bonds market but I've got the impression their not doing too good at the moment so be cautious. 

Hmmm for semi long term you could try tesla but make sure you get into it at a very good price point, maybe some week when the stock markets on a downhill decline.

New and growing industries like 3D printing companies might be a good idea too. DDD has seen good growth over the year, if you can get into pharmaceutical companies that you know will get FDA approved you could potentially make tons of money. If you want to play with something a bit riskier you could try NUGT, it tends to shoot up when stocks are doing bad and fall down when stocks are doing good.

As for brokerage info, I use scottrade. A buddy of mine used TDameritrade and gave me his account info so I could look around. They've got a higher commission fee $10 per transaction(basically $20 because selling and buying counts as one transaction) compared to scottrades $7 per transaction however they elite trading platform looks wayyyy more streamline and advance than the one I have available to me. They get lvl 2 data for free too, I can only get that if I pay a month subscription fee. 

Haha thats nice! SCTY has seen very good growth lately too, its also kinda hyped about because Elon Musk helps run it. Keep a eye on that one.

I'm really excited to see what comes of their battery plants. That could be huge, especially if the guy turns his attention towards improving chemical battery tech. 

Really, with Musk, its hard to pick wrong. Even his hyperloop, while completely hilariously insane, would probably work. One of the few guys I really like seeing work. 

ETFs and mutual funds are a good idea for sure, trading options may be something you'd be interested at looking into too. I don't pay much attention to the bonds market but I've got the impression their not doing too good at the moment so be cautious. 

Hmmm for semi long term you could try tesla but make sure you get into it at a very good price point, maybe some week when the stock markets on a downhill decline.

New and growing industries like 3D printing companies might be a good idea too. DDD has seen good growth over the year, if you can get into pharmaceutical companies that you know will get FDA approved you could potentially make tons of money. If you want to play with something a bit riskier you could try NUGT, it tends to shoot up when stocks are doing bad and fall down when stocks are doing good.

As for brokerage info, I use scottrade. A buddy of mine used TDameritrade and gave me his account info so I could look around. They've got a higher commission fee $10 per transaction(basically $20 because selling and buying counts as one transaction) compared to scottrades $7 per transaction however they elite trading platform looks wayyyy more streamline and advance than the one I have available to me. They get lvl 2 data for free too, I can only get that if I pay a month subscription fee.

Have you heard of robinhood trading I think it's called?

Gah investing in tech companies :/ Just invest in something stable like Walmart. You know Buffet doesn't even have a computer at his house/mansion/helipad?

Walmart isn't exactly stable lol, they've had a couple of ups and downs last year. I'd personally care less about Buffet, more "gamblers" pay close attention to him than actual "traders and investors". The guys shown to be a trading god, sure he's good he's made it big but people hinge their trades on his every move and it makes it easy for you to lose money. You potentially get a good idea of what other people think and will do when he releases news because a portion of stock traders pay such close attention to him and believe he'll be right more than he'll be wrong. 

I'm really excited to see what comes of their battery plants. That could be huge, especially if the guy turns his attention towards improving chemical battery tech. 

Really, with Musk, its hard to pick wrong. Even his hyperloop, while completely hilariously insane, would probably work. One of the few guys I really like seeing work. 

I really have a lot of respect for the man, he made 180mil off of selling paypal and almost went bankrupt pushing for technology he wants people to use in the future. The mans dream is to push tech forward to improve lives.... the guy works hard too spends 40hrs per week on work on average sometimes more(look at the numerous times he's got baggy as hell eyes in interviews and when he talks about how much he works). He's known to be a engineer first then a businessman. 

I like how he thought it was outrageous and absurd for California to lay out a plan that would cost millions to build a rail system that's 50 to 40 years behind the rail systems in Japan and various other Asian countries. 

He's pulled through on his promises and has yet to disappoint his investors or customers. Imagine if he set SpaceX to be a public stock instead of leaving it as a privately funded business... it'd literally shoot like a rocket(no pun intended)! Though being privately funded certainly does have its benefits. 

Have you heard of robinhood trading I think it's called?

Hmm thats certainly interesting.... commission free.... I wonder where their main source of income comes from.... 

I don't yet have a smartphone to take advantage of that app yet though. I'd like to see what trading platform they'll provide on PC, it'll have to be just as good if not superior to scottrades for me to take any interest in using their services. They're new and a upcoming so I'll have to keep a close eye on them. 

Maybe I'll do some low volume investing with a brokerage account opened with them sometime later. I've never heard of a commission free brokerage service.... very enticing, hopefully their service is snappy and fast. Wouldn't be worth it if their buggy and non responsive, could lose me tens of thousands.  

Hmm thats certainly interesting.... commission free.... I wonder where their main source of income comes from.... 

I don't yet have a smartphone to take advantage of that app yet though. I'd like to see what trading platform they'll provide on PC, it'll have to be just as good if not superior to scottrades for me to take any interest in using their services. They're new and a upcoming so I'll have to keep a close eye on them. 

Maybe I'll do some low volume investing with a brokerage account opened with them sometime later. I've never heard of a commission free brokerage service.... very enticing, hopefully their service is snappy and fast. Wouldn't be worth it if their buggy and non responsive, could lose me tens of thousands.

Yeah, there's actually a waiting line so sign up. I think Andreeson is involved with them now too.

Yeah, there's actually a waiting line so sign up. I think Andreeson is involved with them now too.

Yeah I noticed. I'll notify my friend and see what he thinks too. This is quite intriguing, thanks for letting me know. 

Bit late now I already posted.. sorry to say I looked at OP and replied straight away without reading further...

Seems a bit weird you have not figured out yet... that you'd GET the experience by working at your dads friendly store... negating the NEED for help on the build (cos either doing it yourself, or a workmate could assist you)

With a job comes more money... if he SEE's your earning money, he will be more likely to throw more in for you... knowing you have a good working relationship and can pay it back quicker than he thinks you can.

You say you know a good amount, yet require help on a build? Surely you've watched some build video's before?

I don't mean to be negative, but you've answered all your own questions in the OP.

TL:DR - You have the new found job giving you INCOME, Your dad will throw in more NO DOUBT if you have a job (all parents are like this usually, until your trusted with money or a job, why bother taking the risk they say...)

Plus your not starting fresh and already have some knowledge...

So yeah.. Take the job, earn some money for a little while, and re-approach your dad knowing he is happy you have a job and no doubt would hear reports from his friend your doing ok.

NONONONONO I fool around with components all the time, I don't need help on the build, I just need help with the money lol.

Pentium G3258, R9 270X, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1, crappy EVGA 500W PSU