Is my hardware this bad, or am I going crazy ?

blackbeard36

Hi, recently I had some problems with my computer.
Almost all games that I play, have low fps. I mean, they are not that low, but I can clearly see them dropping.
Like, even the games that I am 100% sure that my hardware is going to handle, are not performing good enough.
It got me thinking, am I doing something wrong system/options wise, or is my hardware not so good enough anymore.
Like, for example in horizon zero dawn, when I move my camera, the lags almost give me a headache, but fps says otherwise.
Just the other day, I have bought Days Gone, and finally I could almost say that it performs well (it's a new game, so I was happy) but no ... still setting it to very high is too laggy, and when I look in the distance (lot of stuff to render) or when I am in a small city there are lags.
I have read some of the comments about lags in Days Gone, and to my surprise most of the hardware these guys had are very very expensive.
And I thought, I had a good setup.
They were using stuff like : rtx3070, 3080 rtx.
I have heared that people were complaining that all the computer components are very expensive, and can't afford them.
But it seems, that a lot of folks are using beast hardware, that in my country is really not affordable ( 1 605 $ or 2 2041 $ when transfering it to my currency (PLN) ).
Also, the thing I don't undertand, why are all the gpu's and cpu's so hard to buy.
I mean, when going into my country's most popular site, I can find some used ones, or some sold by a few shops, but it almost seems like they are not producing them anymore (even when clearly ther are) and it's hard to find them in a large quantity
Is it just a Polish thing ?

Anyway, my question is (cause it's driving me mad) is it possible that my PC is wrongly configured (like my monitor, or my graphic card, cpu etc.) or am I just hoping to get better performance than my (possibly not good enough for today's games) computer is capable of achiving ?
(sorry for bad english) thanks 🙂
Here are my specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8- core processor
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XTRam : 16 gb ( Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15 BK DC - 16GB)
Operating system : Windows 10 x64
Monitor : Gigabyte g32qc (165hz = can display 165 fps which I almost never see in games, or when I use amd fps counter, the (let's say) 60fps or 70fps when lowest, absolutely never feels like it)
Motherboard : B450M DS3H

22 minutes ago, blackbeard36 said:

Almost all games that I play, have low fps. I mean, they are not that low, but I can clearly see them dropping.
Like, even the games that I am 100% sure that my hardware is going to handle, are not performing good enough.
It got me thinking, am I doing something wrong system/options wise, or is my hardware not so good enough anymore.
Like, for example in horizon zero dawn, when I move my camera, the lags almost give me a headache, but fps says otherwise.
Just the other day, I have bought Days Gone, and finally I could almost say that it performs well (it's a new game, so I was happy) but no ... still setting it to very high is too laggy, and when I look in the distance (lot of stuff to render) or when I am in a small city there are lags.
I have read some of the comments about lags in Days Gone, and to my surprise most of the hardware these guys had are very very expensive.
I have heared that people were complaining that all the computer components are very expensive, and can't afford them.
But it seems, that a lot of folks are using beast hardware, that in my country is really not affordable ( 1 605 $ or 2 2041 $ when transfering it to my currency (PLN) ).
Also, the thing I don't undertand, why are all the gpu's and cpu's so hard to buy.
I mean, when going into my country's most popular site, I can find some used ones, or some sold by a few shops, but it almost seems like they are not producing them anymore (even when clearly ther are) and it's hard to find them in a large quantity

Anyway, my question is (cause it's driving me mad) is it possible that my PC is wrongly configured (like my monitor, or my graphic card, cpu etc.) or am I just hoping to get better performance than my (possibly not good enough for today's games) computer is capable of achiving ?
Here are my specs :
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XTRam : 16 gb ( Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 C15 BK DC - 16GB)
Monitor : Gigabyte g32qc (165hz = can display 165 fps which I almost never see in games, or when I use amd fps counter, the (let's say) 60fps or 70fps when lowest, absolutely never feels like it)

That card and CPU should be able to EASILY run any game at 1080p Medium-High.

Monitor might be misconfigured. Did you make sure it runs on 165hz? Might help to compare with benchmarks of the game with similar specs.

For competitive games, the frame rate could reach 165 fps (turn on freesync to prevent tearing)

For non-competitive games, like SOTR or AC series you could sacrifice frame rates for quality and still manage 60 fps, which is worth the experience for these kinds of games anyways.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

19 minutes ago, blackbeard36 said:

This isn't just a Polish thing. There's currently a worldwide semiconductor shortage, which leads to production issues for anything with semiconductors (especially CPUs and GPUs). Couple that with increased demand from stay at home orders last year for in-house entertainment + the cryptocurrency boom we've seen over the last year, and depressed production targets from the lackluster RTX 20 series launch and we have a perfect storm of circumstances for a worldwide GPU shortage.

21 minutes ago, blackbeard36 said:

Do you have updated drivers for your GPU/motherboard BIOS?

Typically when people say their system is "underperforming" it's because they're comparing benchmark numbers for one part without taking into account th at the rest of their system is different from the reviewer's test bench... but the first order of business is to check drivers. What are some numbers for the games you're playing, just so we can quantify it?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Just now, JogerJ said:

Monitor might be misconfigured. Did you make sure it runs on 165hz? Might help to compare with benchmarks of the game with similar specs.

For competitive games, the frame rate could reach 165 fps (turn on freesync to prevent tearing)

For non-competitive games, like SOTR or AC series you could sacrifice frame rates for quality and still manage 60 fps, which is worth the experience for these kinds of games anyways.

Also another thing to check... this is surprisingly common for people with monitors >60 Hz. I had this happen to me with my 144 Hz monitor for a few months...

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

13 minutes ago, blackbeard36 said:

Here are my specs :

The problem right now is it’s not real affordable in any country atm. the chip crunch is hitting everyone.  Apparently the problem is not that they’re not being produced, but that the supply demand curve has altered.  More people want machines all of a sudden, and the supply didn’t grow to meet it for various reasons. There are car building factories that are actually shutting down because they can’t get enough parts. Not because the parts can’t be made, but because the car companies didn’t correctly predict the future.

Also there’s the power inflation thing.  A 1030 can beat the pants off an 8800gt and once upon a time that was an amazeballs bang for-the-buck card. For twice the price of what you can get a 1030 for. Machines get faster and the vacant space fills with stuff. 

the machine you describe at the bottom should be plenty fast by today’s standards though.  If it’s not there is probably something else going on. Doesn’t mean it’s hardware.  There could be other apps sucking power, or some setting or other. AMD has different requirements than Intel stuff for some things. That doesn’t mean you’re crazy though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, JogerJ said:

Yeah, I did that. I think that changing my monitor from 1080p one to 1440p one might be the culprit here. On 1080p I had almost the same issue, which is that I have high fps in games, but It never feels like it. I though, it's a monitor thing, and changing it to the higher hz one will fix everything, but sadly It might have made it worse. Idk, I still feel that it may have to do something with my new monitor.

11 minutes ago, blackbeard36 said:

Yeah, I did that. I think that changing my monitor from 1080p one to 1440p one might be the culprit here. On 1080p I had almost the same issue, which is that I have high fps in games, but It never feels like it. I though, it's a monitor thing, and changing it to the higher hz one will fix everything, but sadly It might have made it worse. Idk, I still feel that it may have to do something with my new monitor.

If it’s 1440p instead of 1080p it’s pushing a lot more pixels. A frame rate drop would be expected.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, CT854 said:

This isn't just a Polish thing. There's currently a worldwide semiconductor shortage, which leads to production issues for anything with semiconductors (especially CPUs and GPUs). Couple that with increased demand from stay at home orders last year for in-house entertainment + the cryptocurrency boom we've seen over the last year, and depressed production targets from the lackluster RTX 20 series launch and we have a perfect storm of circumstances for a worldwide GPU shortage.

Do you have updated drivers for your GPU/motherboard BIOS?

Typically when people say their system is "underperforming" it's because they're comparing benchmark numbers for one part without taking into account th at the rest of their system is different from the reviewer's test bench... but the first order of business is to check drivers. What are some numbers for the games you're playing, just so we can quantify it?

Well, I have the newest drivers for gpu, bios idk. Well, I don't really know what you mean by "numbers" cause I realy suck at hardware stuff. It may also sound stupid, but I don't realy know how to do benchmarks. Like, the fps I am getting in Days Gone is never below 60, usually higher when I am not in crowded area, or when I am not looking at the distance with a lot of stuff (like houses or some landscapes crowded with many detailed stuff). I always have high fps (higher than 60) but it is almost like these fps counter lie to me. It never feels smooth, and I think it have something to do with my monitor. Some people said, that a 1440p monitor may use more power, so it is normal that my specs might be underperforming. But lke I said "On 1080p I had almost the same issue, which is that I have high fps in games, but It never feels like it. I though, it's a monitor thing, and changing it to the higher hz one will fix everything, but sadly It might have made it worse". 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s 1440p instead of 1080p it’s pushing a lot more pixels. A frame rate drop would be expected.

Yeah I know, but with 1440p I can't really change it to the 1080p one. And changing graphic back to 1080p looks really bad. It may sound stupid, but changing graphic settings never actucally helps. Like when I play on the lowest, and have a big boost in fps it still doesn't feel right. I don't know what to do, maybe I am paranoid, but I really can see these stutters, and nothing really helps. 

2 hours ago, blackbeard36 said:

Yeah I know, but with 1440p I can't really change it to the 1080p one. And changing graphic back to 1080p looks really bad. It may sound stupid, but changing graphic settings never actucally helps. Like when I play on the lowest, and have a big boost in fps it still doesn't feel right. I don't know what to do, maybe I am paranoid, but I really can see these stutters, and nothing really helps. 

It make sense.  A 1440p screen is not a crt. 1080p -4k works a bit better because because true 4k (2160p) is four times the resolution exactly so you can just run single pixels as 4 pixels.  Still not great but not interpolated either. 1440p can do that with 720p, but not 1080p

it seems like the issue here is feelings rather than measurements which are pretty hard to quantify.

2 hours ago, blackbeard36 said:

No it makes sense.  You can go 1080p-true 4k because it’s evenly twice as big in each direction, but with 4k you have to use interpolation which can be a mess. I wasn’t saying just run in 1080p.  720p might work but that’s really getting down there. And you’ve got too much card for that. 

18 hours ago, blackbeard36 said:

As you say, once you try 1440 it's very difficult to go back to 1080.