[HELP NEEDE] How to test if your router losing internet connection?

keavlar

Hey all. 

I have an issue with my internet provider, and devices they provide. 

I would like to test if router loosing connection to the internet, or maybe the router at fault. 
I am not even sure. 

I would like to test for hours, if router loosing connection, or not. 

The only test I know, is too ping to google.com 

Do you have maybe any other suggestions please ? 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

4 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Hey all. 

I have an issue with my internet provider, and devices they provide. 

I would like to test if router loosing connection to the internet, or maybe the router at fault. 
I am not even sure. 

I would like to test for hours, if router loosing connection, or not. 

The only test I know, is too ping to google.com 

Do you have maybe any other suggestions please ? 

google "what is my internet speed"

i5-9400f

corsair 16gb (2x8) kit + 4x1 gb microsoft stick both 2666

asrock b350m pro4 lga 1151 

intel ax-210 wifi card

msi rx 580 8gb 

nzxt h510 airflow case white

650w thermaltake gold

512gb nvme 

1tb wd blue

1tb seagate external

Other option, start a download of a ton of Linux .ISOs, see if any time out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, LTT_fanboy said:

google "what is my internet speed"

THat's only going to give the OP a very brief 10 second burst of network traffic. If the router is dying from overheating, for example, that won't manifest itself under a speedtest.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

When I experience "internet problems" I usually use 2 cmds;

one that is running with "ping google.com -t", and the other with "ping 8.8.8.8 -t"
Then just watch as the cmd pings and look for drops. 

The reason why I ping both google.com and 8.8.8.8 is because the ISP can experience DNS issues, so if you see the cmd that's pinging google.com having drops but not the one pining 8.8.8.8, then you know it's a DNS issue. You can solve DNS issues yourself, by setting a static one in Windows. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

pingplotter

https://www.pingplotter.com/ This can help with things like packetloss

Maybe also wireshark

https://www.wireshark.org/

This is the only useful answer so far if you truly want to do a prolonged test. 

We use pingplotter in a professional environment to map the health of customers broadband connections over multiple days. I believe the free option should still give you basic functionality.  

What I would do is open two instances of the program (in our paid copys you can do multiple tests within one instance but i'm not sure about the free one) and start a test to something public like 8.8.8.8. In another, start a test directly to your router's local IP (it'll be something like 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.0.1, you have to verify). 

Let them go for as long as you want and just review the graphs. 

2 minutes ago, rickeo said:

This is the only useful answer so far if you truly want to do a prolonged test. 

We use pingplotter in a professional environment to map the health of customers broadband connections over multiple days. I believe the free option should still give you basic functionality.  

What I would do is open two instances of the program (in our paid copys you can do multiple tests within one instance but i'm not sure about the free one) and start a test to something public like 8.8.8.8. In another, start a test directly to your router's local IP (it'll be something like 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.0.1, you have to verify). 

Let them go for as long as you want and just review the graphs. 

Thank you. Part of my job is network testing so we have some useful tools (both hardware and soft) and sometimes tracking down router issues (or internal wiring, or ISP issues or or or...) can really be a PITA.

I had a similar issue, for months I was only getting like 100Mbps on speedtest even though I have a subscription for 1Gbps.

For some time, I assumed it might be Windows rot, lots of programs using up bandwidth parasitically, with the total effect adding up to a very small amount of bandwidth left.

After I've built a new PC a few days ago, installed a new Windows and did the speed test again and got crap results again, I realised this can't be from the computer.

So I called the internet provider and told them angrily that I'm only getting 10% of the speed from the contract and I don't know why I'm paying for this.

The operator, very calmly told me to unplug the cable from the router and plug it directly in the motherboard's Ethernet port. Then create a new dialup broadband connection from scratch. After I introduced the credentials and fired up the browser, I did a new speed test and I couldn't believe my eyes. 1Gbps download and 500Mbps upload again, exactly like in the contract.

I'm still trying to understand wtf could have choked the connection so much for months if not years, it must have been the router or the very long Cat cable that ran between my the router and the PC.

So, imo, try plugging the cable directly in your mobo/network card and create a new connection with your credentials and see if this solves it.

type CMD into your "Start" 

ot open command prompt

ping google.de -t 

open command prompt in another window and ping the router might be something like

ping 192.168.0.1 -t

or

ping fritz.box -t

or

192.168.178.1 -t

the -t is for endless pinging 

if your connection to the router is gone you know your router is at fault. if it is to google your internet provider has a bad service. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.